Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 01:51 PM

708 posts, read 721,638 times

Advertisements

Fantasy Football I believe has peaked and that was a main driver of TV. The games themselves are way over priced and boring. I enjoy the pre-game activities but can do without the traffic. Getting really tired of protest crap, over paid cry babies that have no clue.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:57 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
this whole not-winning-the-Super-Bowl-again, I find draining after almost 60 years. I'll try one more year and continue to not care about any other team in the meantime.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:18 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Not a regular watcher and no cable TV, but I enjoy the Superbowl once a year, and used to watch an occasional game back home, back when my dad was alive.

The politics definitely turned me off however and probably will not watch the Bowl this year. Overpaid louts. If they don't even respect this country which has given them so much, then I sure as heck have better things to do with my time.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:40 PM

406 posts, read 624,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I've read that ratings for the season opener were down for the 4th straight year. I also saw pictures of several stadiums that looked to be 50% full. Last year the NFL blamed their ratings dip on the election so will Irma now get the blame for at least week 1?

Has the NFL finally reached peak saturation?
Yes to you question, I believe it has.

I think the best example of disgruntled fans was the loud booing of Roger Goodell at the last Super Bowl.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:42 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I am not boycotting but my interest is waning. The whole injury thing is a big turn-off for me - young guys who are sacrificing their bodies for a few years of good money, all for the enjoyment of fans. I am starting to feel guilty watching games. And as other posters have said, the game is too dependent upon officiating and a mistake can throw the game the other way.
Very good point there. Never really got interested in NASCAR or INDY racing for that same reason - these guys are risking their lives/well being for our entertainment.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:22 PM

564 posts, read 449,067 times
Boycotting, no. But I've been losing a bit more interest with every tinker over recent years. Just blow the whistle, rule on the play, wind the clock and snap the damned ball!
The league's tolerating total thugs is compounded by millionaire cry babies insulting the flag of the nation that has done more for them than any other in history. A former Redskins ticket holder, I haven't watched but one full quarter of one game and a few plays of two others.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:24 PM

564 posts, read 449,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael21214 View Post
I'm tired of the over officiating, and the increase in injuries.

This is probably a ridiculous idea with no chance of implementation, but I think the game would be a lot more interesting to watch with one less defender on the field. More offense, more gains, more scoring.
And I enjoyed the old days when two good teams with good offenses ended up 7/0 because they had even better defenses. To each his own.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:53 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Once upon a time, NFL games were rare and special, 14 games per team per year, mostly 1PM/4PM EST on Sundays, once a week on Mondays, two games a year on one Thursday (Thanksgiving), playoffs ended by December 31st, Super Bowl during daylight hours in January, a game lasted three hours, and a tie was a tie, or at least simple sudden-death overtime ... and marching bands at half-time.

Those were the days!

Now it is over-saturated in terms of how many games and days of the week and weeks and months of the year, over-politicized off the field, too many rule changes, too much clownish behavior on the field, in some cases downright criminal behavior off the field, and, yes, long-term player impairment is a serious concern.

In my view, at least, the only games worth watching live nowadays are the home team, but even then too many horrible night games or the horrible early Sunday morning game in London. Going to a game is out of the question, too many inconveniences and risks involved with large public crowds.

Most of the above problems (except long-term player impairment) can be alleviated by NFL Game Pass or other customizable service.

So no boycott, but limit exposure.

Ironically, because individuals may be choosing to limit their exposure, NFL executives, and their counterparts in advertising and broadcasting, may choose to continue to expand in terms of number of games, times and venues, including internationally, calculating that it is better to have a large number of casual customers than a core of dedicated ones.

Strictly business.
I totally agree and anyone else who comes to the thread late should just quote this to bump it up to the current page rather then spend the time typing.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:32 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
I have very limited interest in the NFL any longer. My wife makes me buy Sunday Ticket for her. She is glued each week. I guess she has a higher tolerance of the shenanigans than I do.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:01 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
And then regained it after Gabbert posted these stats in 6 games last year:

QB Rating: 68.4
Comp: 91
Att: 160
Comp %: 56.9
Passing Yards: 925
Yards Per Game: 154.2
Yards Per Attempt: 5.8
Touchdowns: 5
Interceptions: 6

Kaepernick then regained the starting job and had a QB rating over 90 and a TD: INT ratio of 16:4 for the rest of the season, for what was otherwise a very bad team.

But Gabbert is on an NFL roster and Kaepernick isn't.
The point is I don't care. If some team out there decides to actually sign him, great. Until then, I don't care, and I'm sure others out there are not interested in constant Kaepernick news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports