Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 01:02 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,524,639 times

Advertisements

[quote=Roscoe Conkling;55682321]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post

The idea that only three players in that team knew what was going on is laughable.
The ACB did the bare minimum white-wash because the three were caught red-handed.
The Australians have been the bye-word for being cheats and sore losers for years which is why they're loathed across the cricketing world.
Which is a shame because they used to have a great team that didn't need to cheat.
Of course a fish rots from the head down.
Darren Lehmann once urged Aussie crowds to send Stuart Broad home in tears for not walking.
Then begs everyone to go easy on the cheating three when they got caught.
Australia's capitulation in the WC SF was pitiful to watch - let's hope they put up a stiffer fight in the Ashes.
The bare minimum? Surely you jest. The ECB has provided the template for what the bare minimum is for ball tampering. Fortunately the ACB didn't follow their lead and has set a new standard for dealing with ball tampering.

Agreed their semi final performance was poor, but hey, at least we have won a world cup or 4, and none of them with an * next to them.

But we are playing the real cricket now. Hopefully our luck continues at Lords.....
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 07:18 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,183 posts, read 13,469,799 times
[quote=Aussiehoff;55912887]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post

The bare minimum? Surely you jest. The ECB has provided the template for what the bare minimum is for ball tampering. Fortunately the ACB didn't follow their lead and has set a new standard for dealing with ball tampering.

Agreed their semi final performance was poor, but hey, at least we have won a world cup or 4, and none of them with an * next to them.

But we are playing the real cricket now. Hopefully our luck continues at Lords.....
I think most people have put the whole ball tampering thing behinds us and moved on.

Smith was stupid as were Warner and Bancroft , however Smith has been given another chance and is proving himself a very good player, and he even had a joke with the crowd regarding the whole thing by emptying his pockets in from of the Edgbaston Crowd as they sang he's got sandpaper in his pockets.

I hope the Lord's game is a good match, and of course I hope England win, but I really think it's better to put the whole thing behind us.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:30 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
[quote=Brave New World;55913936]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post

I think most people have put the whole ball tampering thing behinds us and moved on.

Smith was stupid as were Warner and Bancroft , however Smith has been given another chance and is proving himself a very good player, and he even had a joke with the crowd regarding the whole thing by emptying his pockets in from of the Edgbaston Crowd as they sang he's got sandpaper in his pockets.

I hope the Lord's game is a good match, and of course I hope England win, but I really think it's better to put the whole thing behind us.

It was David Warner

Old 08-12-2019, 08:42 AM

[quote=munna21977;55914006]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

It was David Warner

I knew it was one of them, I just saw it briefly on the highlights.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:31 PM

General Question on spread of Cricket around the world. British Empire or Victorian Era was responsible for spread of Cricket in and outside England. Whether it is Trinidad, Toronto, Nairobi, Cape Town, Bombay, Colombo, Karachi , Calcutta, Melbourne, Auckland, Dublin - all these cities have stadiums / clubs setup with British influence.

Why do we see big cities like Liverpool or Glasgow in UK with no Cricket activities ? not even First Class Cricket in these cities. Cricket reached Madras but missed parts of UK. Why is it so ?

Old 08-14-2019, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
General Question on spread of Cricket around the world. British Empire or Victorian Era was responsible for spread of Cricket in and outside England. Whether it is Trinidad, Toronto, Nairobi, Cape Town, Bombay, Colombo, Karachi , Calcutta, Melbourne, Auckland, Dublin - all these cities have stadiums / clubs setup with British influence.

Why do we see big cities like Liverpool or Glasgow in UK with no Cricket activities ? not even First Class Cricket in these cities. Cricket reached Madras but missed parts of UK. Why is it so ?
In terms of cricket, there are grounds in many cities, towns and villages across the England and some grounds in Scotland, Wales and Ireland, however the major grounds and test grounds are in relation to the historic first class counties, the last county to be admitted as a first class county being Durham.

As for Liverpool it is closely alligned to Lancashire, whose main ground is at Old Trafford in Manchester, although most county teams have mre than one ground, indeed as well as Old Trafford, Lancashire also play matches at Stanley Park, Blackpool, Liverpool Cricket Club and Southport.

County cricket - Wikipedia

Liverpool Cricket Club: Home

West of Scotland Cricket Club

Glasgow Accies Cricket Club

Hillhead Cricket Club, Glasgow, Scotland

Old 08-14-2019, 11:25 AM

Probably hostile weather conditions also restricted popularity of Cricket in Scotland and Canada. You cant play it in rain or snow !!

Old 08-17-2019, 08:31 PM

Disappointing display by Australia on 4th day of the Test Match. They frittered away the advantage.

1) David Warner dropped number of catches. Cant they have a different Fielder at Slip position.

2) Atleast on two occassions, they didn not take DRS option where the England Batsman could have been Out. It requires great skill and knowledge to go for DRS.

Both Tim Paine (Captain and WK) & Natan Lyon looked clueless whetehr to go for it or not.

I have seen Virat Kohli, even when he is fielding at Covers, will know correctly whether to go for DRS or not.

Australia is missing leadership of players like Ricky Ponting.

Salute again to Steve Smith - a great great innings under tremendous pressure. He should be the Captain again.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:53 AM

Another brilliant display from Smith in the face of a fantastic spell of fast bowling from the West Indian quick. The blow to the arm obviously had him in enormous discomfort, then the hit to the neck really shook him up. Most players wouldn't carry on but he couldn't wait to get back out there. The terrible display from a large contingent of the crowd on his return was shameful given the circumstances.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Disappointing display by Australia on 4th day of the Test Match. They frittered away the advantage.

1) David Warner dropped number of catches. Cant they have a different Fielder at Slip position.

2) Atleast on two occassions, they didn not take DRS option where the England Batsman could have been Out. It requires great skill and knowledge to go for DRS.
Warner is an outstanding slipper, and even the best put down tough ones like that. It's not like they were simple. Having said that, I wish he never again represented Australia.

On the two DRS decisions you reference, what would have been the outcome if they had taken the review? It was very late here, so I didn't get to see that part of the days play. But you are right that the skill of employing the DRS is almost on par with actual cricketing skills these days. It's a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports