Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2019, 09:52 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,517,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Yes it has been pretty comprehensive despite what the churlish Joe Root says. Smith has been outstanding but so too have the Aussie fast bowlers. England have only managed to bowl us out in both innings once so far.

Roots lack of grace has been almost as enjoyable to watch as the win. .
You'll forgive my amusement at an Australian cricket fan complaining about a lack of grace.
Overall I thought it an okay Ashes but not the classic the media are trying to big up.
Australia were the better side but without Smith are very average.
I was delighted Australia's cheater-in-chief Warner had such a lousy series - the very worst example of a sportsman I can think of.
England showed signs of fatigue from the start after the amazing world cup win and with the retirement of Cook they lack a test batsman of any real quality.
Once again Ben Stokes performed match-winning heroics and Archer is an incredible prospect. Look forward to seeing him on Aussie decks next time.
On the negative side the standard of umpiring was poor and the inability of both teams' top orders to construct an innings of any note shows how much white ball cricket is affecting test matches.
So,on balance,Australia deserved to retain the Ashes but a drawn series feels about right to me.
Looking forward to the winter tour of South Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 11:40 PM

9,996 posts, read 5,703,637 times
Been away from C-D for a while and there was some solid cricket happening. Afghanistan wins its test match against Bangladesh convincingly, also notches their 11th and 12th consecutive T20i victories against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh respectively. Where were these guys during the World Cup?

But most impressive is what Malinga did to New Zealand:

Last edited by Bitey; 09-15-2019 at 11:48 PM..

Old 09-15-2019, 11:44 PM

9,996 posts, read 5,703,637 times
Speaking of Sri Lanka, it seems many players are not impressed with Pakistan's assurance the security situation has improved since Sri Lanka's last visit: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-pakistan-tour

Old 09-16-2019, 02:59 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,529,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
You'll forgive my amusement at an Australian cricket fan complaining about a lack of grace.
You will forgive my amusement at an English cricket fan taking any high moral ground on sportsmanship. So you think Root acted gracefully? I don't and pointed out why. I never blindly defend the Australian team when they don't deserve it and have called out boorish behaviour by them many times. Nor was I complaining about the churlish Joe Root. I particularly enjoyed the manner in which he represented his country.

Overall an entertaining series, but massive issues were on display for both teams. The performance of the Aussie openers was embarrassing and the worst of any touring team to England since 1880. I hope it is the last we see of Warner, but suspect he will be given another shot back here in the summer. Unfortunately he will probably score well against Pakistan in his preferred conditions......Smith was amazing, effectively an opener, but his bizarre mannerisms on the field are actually a concern in my opinion. Something is not right there.

Our pace bowling was very good, our captaincy very poor. Lyon was poor and threw away a win with a very simple skill error - it will haunt him for ever. Our selectors...... don't get me started.

Umpiring was diabolical and heavily impacted the contest and outcome. The review system needs to be reviewed - outcomes should be based on cricket, not whether you guess correctly.

I hope Archer continues to be a threat. Great to watch in full flight but I have my doubts that he has the temperament to be a long term Test Cricketer.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:48 AM

10,816 posts, read 4,370,274 times
Warner and Wade are both a-holes, Warner probably on the way out, unfortunately Wade will remain....

Old 09-16-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
You will forgive my amusement at an English cricket fan taking any high moral ground on sportsmanship.
There's a reason why the Australian team is loathed around the cricketing world.
Being poor losers is one thing but they're even worse as winners.
And being cheats, of course.
The whole dressing room knew exactly what was going on with the sandpaper.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:18 AM

Quote:
There's a reason why the Australian team is loathed around the cricketing world.
Being poor losers is one thing but they're even worse as winners.
And being cheats, of course.
The whole dressing room knew exactly what was going on with the sandpaper.
yes I understand the tall poppy syndrome.

You'd do well to learn some history of the English cricket team when it comes to ball tampering. And every other team for that matter. Your faux outrage is funny

Old 09-17-2019, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Warner and Wade are both a-holes, Warner probably on the way out, unfortunately Wade will remain....
You won't find many Aussies disagreeing with you.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:50 AM

27,227 posts, read 13,514,577 times
Quote:
Overall I thought it an okay Ashes but not the classic the media are trying to big up.
Australia were the better side but without Smith are very average.
I was delighted Australia's cheater-in-chief Warner had such a lousy series - the very worst example of a sportsman I can think of.
England showed signs of fatigue from the start after the amazing world cup win and with the retirement of Cook they lack a test batsman of any real quality.
Once again Ben Stokes performed match-winning heroics and Archer is an incredible prospect. Look forward to seeing him on Aussie decks next time.
On the negative side the standard of umpiring was poor and the inability of both teams' top orders to construct an innings of any note shows how much white ball cricket is affecting test matches.
So,on balance,Australia deserved to retain the Ashes but a drawn series feels about right to me.
Looking forward to the winter tour of South Africa.

A draw seemed a fair result in the end, Australia's Smith was oustanding in terms of some of his batting performances, however Stokes stand at Headingley was the highlight from an England point of view.

Now on to the Rugby World Cup, and more sporting rivalry.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
yes I understand the tall poppy syndrome.

You'd do well to learn some history of the English cricket team when it comes to ball tampering. And every other team for that matter. Your faux outrage is funny

Neither faux or outraged.
Just stating a fact old sport.
Smith is a fine player and may one day surpass Bradman's record but he will always be known as the captain who orchestrated wholesale cheating by his team.
Who knows how long they've been at it ?

But it's more the lack of grace and poor sportsmanship that marks them as the pariahs of world cricket - past Aussie teams were admired but not this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports