Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 07:01 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,516,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

A draw seemed a fair result in the end, Australia's Smith was oustanding in terms of some of his batting performances, however Stokes stand at Headingley was the highlight from an England point of view.

Now on to the Rugby World Cup, and more sporting rivalry.

Yes,a victory in that to go with the cricket world cup would be a fine end to a great summer.
England is still the only country on the planet to have won the cricket,rugby and soccer world cups.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 09:48 AM

10,797 posts, read 4,359,845 times
I'm willing to bet Steve Smith will retire with an average less than 60, and maybe even 55.
Most great batsman suffer a form slump causing their average to tumble fast.
He'll probably retire with about the same numbers as Jacques Kallis.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:42 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,527,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Neither faux or outraged.
Just stating a fact old sport.
Smith is a fine player and may one day surpass Bradman's record but he will always be known as the captain who orchestrated wholesale cheating by his team.
Who knows how long they've been at it ?

But it's more the lack of grace and poor sportsmanship that marks them as the pariahs of world cricket - past Aussie teams were admired but not this one.
He will never surpass Bradman's record or standing. No one will.

Anyone who knows cricket and doesn't have an axe to grind won't share your view on his legacy.

Who knows how long cricketers have been ball tampering???? You really don't know Cricket do you.... But the good news is that given the stand the ACB took, a precedent has been set on punishment, so when your Captain/s again engage in the same act, they will probably need to sit out for a year too.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
He will never surpass Bradman's record or standing. No one will.

Anyone who knows cricket and doesn't have an axe to grind won't share your view on his legacy.

Who knows how long cricketers have been ball tampering???? You really don't know Cricket do you.... But the good news is that given the stand the ACB took, a precedent has been set on punishment, so when your Captain/s again engage in the same act, they will probably need to sit out for a year too.
I've played cricket for 40 years as well as travelled to Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Sri Lanka, the Caribbean, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Ireland to watch England play.

I do know the odd thing about cricket. I can remember Mike Atherton getting fined £2,000 for using dirt in his pocket on the ball during a Lord's test against the Saffers.

That's a whole lot different to planning and carrying out a deliberate attempt to bring sandpaper onto the field to use on the ball.

A bit like throwing an underarm ball to save a match.

I do hope you're not one of those fairweather Aussie " fans " who empty the ground at the first hint of a defeat for their team.

Or do you even watch live cricket ?

Old 09-20-2019, 06:02 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,694,033 times
Quote:
I've played cricket for 40 years as well as travelled to Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Sri Lanka, the Caribbean, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Ireland to watch England play.
Just Curious Which Stadium in India you have been to ? Which series ?

Cricket has changed a lot in the Subcontinent but my personal favourite is 1992/93 series when England visited India. It was a Spin-Wash in Test Series 3-0.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Just Curious Which Stadium in India you have been to ? Which series ?

Cricket has changed a lot in the Subcontinent but my personal favourite is 1992/93 series when England visited India. It was a Spin-Wash in Test Series 3-0.

Mumbai and Chennai 2016 Test series.
We were whupped on both occasions ....

However my favourite stadium on the subcontient is Galle in Sri Lanka.
It was nice to be able to pop out during the lunch break for a refreshing dip in the sea.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Mumbai and Chennai 2016 Test series.
We were whupped on both occasions ....

However my favourite stadium on the subcontient is Galle in Sri Lanka.
It was nice to be able to pop out during the lunch break for a refreshing dip in the sea.

Wow It is one of the most beautiful cricket stadium with an imposing Dutch Fort in the background.

Old 09-20-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Wow It is one of the most beautiful cricket stadium with an imposing Dutch Fort in the background.

Yes,great stadium,great people,great country.
I love touring the sub-continent,mainly for the absolute joy of meeting really fiendly people who are passionate about their cricket.
We made many good friend in India.
A wonderful country.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:43 AM

9,992 posts, read 5,695,637 times
Quote:
Teams like Zimbabwe have done well in the past. I wonder what happened to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Unfortunately for Zimbabwe, the racial and political strife that marked Robert Mugabe's rule even reached down into cricket . . . [such as] the fact that the nobody seems to know where all the money given by the ICC to Zimbabwe Cricket goes. They're sometimes so cash-strapped they can't pay players' salaries and travel expenses. . .
Quote:
"The cancellation of the women's tour is yet another chapter of the turmoil that has engulfed Zimbabwean cricket since the [Zimbabwe Sports and Recreation Commission], who are the governing body of all sporting associations in Zimbabwe, suspended the Tavengwa Mukuhlani-led ZC board and installed an interim committee in their place." Translation: the Chiwenga regime is sweeping out the Mugabe cronies to make room for the Chiwenga cronies.
Quote:
After this showing by the men's side and the straight up no-show by the women's side [for their tour of Ireland], it's hard to imagine Zimbabwe cricket has too many chances left with the ICC.
Well shi'ite. I don't know how I missed this before but it turns out the ICC has standards and limits after all: ICC suspend Zimbabwe Cricket for political interference

This took effect in late July.

I assumed Zimbabwe's scheduled and recently concluded tour of Bangladesh meant they were still in good standing with the ICC for whatever reason. It turns out their tour was funded by the Bangladesh Cricket Board and not by the ICC. So I guess the ICC has standards after all.

If a failed state like Pakistan and a war-ravaged state like Afghanistan can still manage to institute and maintain cricket boards that meet basic standards of sportsmanship and fair play, it doesn't say much about Zimbabwe that they can't.

What a painful fall from grace for a once-fearsome side.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:37 PM

Between 1996 and 2003, Kenya was a very competitive side. I remember players like Tikolo and Odumbe. They reached semi final in 2003 world cup and defeated likes of India west indies sri lanka. They suddenly faded into oblivion. It is only a matter of time before South Africa will also shut down Cricket.
I guess the problem is that young Black Kids , whether Caribbean or London or Africa are not interested in Cricket any more !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports