Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2019, 11:07 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,700,025 times

Advertisements

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1461552

South Africa are eight down following on, still 203 runs behind, after being skittled for 162 in their first innings on the third day of the final Test in Ranchi.

It will be clean sweep 3-0 by India. Surprising fact is that most wickets have been taken by Indian Fast bowlers.

Never seen so timid South Africa side before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 05:14 PM

3,851 posts, read 4,454,528 times
Die hard cricket fan here.
Originally from Nigeria, but spent my formative years in England and Australia so grew up watching cricket. West Indies was my team till then went to crap in the late 90s. It's been a long two decades of absolute misery since then.

Some thoughts:
Many of you have mentioned the decline in the interest in test cricket. I think its sad that this is happening, but its unfortunately the future. For cricket to survive in this millennial social media era, T20 is going to have to lead the way. I personally refuse to watch any of it, not IPL, Big Bash, CPL or this Hundred nonsense I keep hearing about. It frankly pains me to watch proper batting technique thrown to the way side when I see t20 batting. Basically it's all just stand and deliver.
That being said, I'm happy to see cricketers make some decent money for a change, especially those from the poorer countries. I don't blame them one bit for choosing T20 over the national sides, even though that has become the death knell for West Indian cricket in particular. Every kid with any talent is skipping first class and test cricket and heading straight to the IPL. With life changing money being thrown about, who am I to tell them not to do it? even though I believe that West Indies will become an associate level team in about another decade or two due to the lack of talent.

South Africa is another sad case. The poster above me mentioned how timid they have become. Basically they have lost all their good talent who are either in England, Australia or New Zealand. I could almost create a test quality test team from all the players who have fled South Africa in the last two decades;

Nick Compton
Andrew Strauss
Jonathan Trott
Kevin Pietersen
Craig Kieswetter
Matt Prior
Simon Harmer
Grant Elliott
B.J.Watling
Kyle Abbott
Neil Wagner

That's basically a test quality team right there. No country is strong enough to keep losing that much quality and remain a viable test force. So now you are seeing the results. I think they get crushed when they tour Australia. Bavuma is just not good enough, and at age 29, I don't think we are going to see some major improvement in his game. He is what he is at this point, but the scary thing is that they are now talking about him becoming the captain when Faf retires. That is going to be a disaster. I think it should be Markram, who at least has shown he has the talent and belongs at the top levels.

Rabada is the one shining light that they have, but even he is showing signs of wear and tear. He was comprehensively out bowled by the Indians (!). Never thought the day would come when I would see that happen.
It pains me to say this as a black man, but transformation has caused incredible harm to south African cricket. Whether any one likes it or not, as this point in time the best quality cricket players are the white kids. And now that they know that they are not going to get picked based on merit, they will keep heading to England and Australia. South Africa could very well end up on Kenya levels if this keeps up. Sadly they will be joined by the West Indies who are failing for other reasons, although losing Archer has to hurt. Imagine him, Gabriel and Joseph as the Windies pace attack! alas.

Not a fan of India or Kohli but respect must be given where it is due. They are top dogs now, and I don't really see that changing any time soon. Kohli has really been a positive for his team, and you can see the improvements they have made. Now that they have a good pace attack, I don't see them losing the number one crown for a while.

Old 10-22-2019, 05:30 PM

10,003 posts, read 5,711,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
It pains me to say this as a black man, but transformation has caused incredible harm to south African cricket. Whether any one likes it or not, as this point in time the best quality cricket players are the white kids. And now that they know that they are not going to get picked based on merit, they will keep heading to England and Australia. South Africa could very well end up on Kenya levels if this keeps up. Sadly they will be joined by the West Indies who are failing for other reasons, although losing Archer has to hurt. Imagine him, Gabriel and Joseph as the Windies pace attack! alas.
I understand generating more interest in cricket among the black population is key to its survival in Africa, but trying to engineer that interest at the expense of more talented players is obviously counterproductive. I was not aware South Africa is doing that, and if they are, they only need to look to Zimbabwe to see what their cricketing future looks like if they keep it up. It doesn't do much to generate interest if your team sucks.

Last edited by Bitey; 10-22-2019 at 05:41 PM..

Old 10-29-2019, 10:01 PM

Shakib Al Hasan: Bangladesh cricket star banned over corruption

Bangladesh cricket star Shakib Al Hasan has been banned from cricket for two years, with one year suspended, after breaching the sport's anti-corruption code.

Al Hasan was guilty of failing to contact the sport's Anti-Corruption Unit (ACU) watchdog after being approached on three separate occasions to "engage in corrupt conduct," said a statement published on the International Cricket Council's website Tuesday.

Old 11-02-2019, 03:52 AM

Integration has been a success in Rugby. Springboks has been a success story. Soccer, Athletics has seen many Black stars from South Africa.

Cricket has been a problem as Black South Africans do not support it much.

There is one more game - Field Hockey.

They have hardly any black player. Many times participation and funding of South Africa team in world cup, olympics is blocked by their government as they do not have enough black participation.

You cannot force a sport on any demographic.

Hockey teams of Belgium, France, England, Germany, Netherlands is all-white. Just compare that to their soccer teams.

Old 11-02-2019, 03:53 AM

Dazzling catch by Namibia's Gerhard Erasmus in the T20 Qualifier semi-final...

Old 11-02-2019, 04:28 AM

Wow This reminds me of the one which Ben Stokes took recently in the World Cup.

Old 11-16-2019, 05:20 AM

A new format T10 is being promoted now.

T10 league 2019 is being organised in Abu Dhabi

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/crick...le29973195.ece

Old 11-16-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
A new format T10 is being promoted now.

T10 league 2019 is being organised in Abu Dhabi

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/crick...le29973195.ece
Lame.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:19 AM

ICC is experimenting with two formats - 100 Ball Cricket and T10

Reasoning behind this is that T20 has failed to enthuse IOC or other organisers of gala games events like Commonwealth, Olympics, Asian Games. In order to globalise the game, Olympics entry will be beneficial.

For 2 week tournament, 100 Ball Cricket can be played.
For 10 day tournament, T10 Cricket can be played.

It might look boring but this is the only hope left now for ICC to popularise the game worldwide.
Other wise Cricket is a dying sport with only England, Australia, India and Indian Diaspora following it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports