Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 04:25 AM

827 posts, read 630,481 times

Advertisements

As an european I find it curious that in america, you don't use the system of Promotion and relegation.
It take out a lot of issues, as all team more or less play for something. The low in the classment don't want to be relegate to a lower league. And there is no possibility for a small team to end at the best.

I find your organization pretty artificial.

What is your opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 11:03 AM

Nobody?
Don't you find boring to have closed league, where the worst team of the season didn't get a **** about being the worst?

Old 10-09-2017, 10:32 AM

17,135 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
Nobody?
Don't you find boring to have closed league, where the worst team of the season didn't get a **** about being the worst?
I agree with you. I do find it annoying that a team will purposely tank at the end of the season in order to get first draft picks. No point in watching those games. It's a ridiculous system.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:16 AM

167 posts, read 125,522 times
It seems a Euro/American thing. Americans tend to find Euro system terrible, and vice versa. I personally think that Euro system is a better fit for small countries.

If you live in Edinburgh, you can easily be a Glasgow Celtic supporter and drive to every game, many people do.

A Euro league may have 2 or 3 or 4 contenders most years, but that means that many of the league followers are rooting for one of two-three-four contending clubs and can go to every game because everything is nearby.

People who don't care about rooting for a contender can pick a smaller club. There are always fans like that in every sport. Why else would anyone support the LA Clippers. People who want a contender, can easily pick one in Europe and attend the games, and if they want to, they can pick a smaller club.

In Europe, if you live in Newcastle, or Sunderland, or Leeds, Leicester, Middlesbrough, Sheffield, etc, you can support the local club or you can just pick one of the currently bigger ones - United, City, Liverpool etc, they are just 1-2 hours drive away. Your choice. Like driving from Milwaukee to Green Bay.

That same system would suck for the US because you'd have a contending club in LA, a club in New york, and people in 90 % of the country would be left out.

I'm an Indiana Pacers fan or used to be, I haven't paid as much attention to the NBA in the last 3 years as I used to.
It kind of sucked though. We had a chance to contend, sure. We were a pretty lucky team, we had some 50 wins seasons and no 20 wins seasons in the last ~30 years, so it's nice for a small club.

But realistically, I know that it's unlikely that the Pacers will win the big prize in my lifetime. They are a small club in an unsexy city, it would take a lot of luck. There are 29 other clubs, many of them bigger clubs, many of them have richer and more ambitious owners.

So yeah, equality, a chance to win for everyone, but in reality, quite frustrating.

But for a country the size of the USA (+Canada), it's impossible to come up with a better system. You need equality, because it would suck even more for fans if majority of clubs had no chance at all like in Euro leagues.

In the USA, you can't really live in Oklahoma City, support the LA Lakers and attend every game, unless you have no job and a lot of money for plane tickets.

In Europe, you just need a car or hop on a train, and you get from Bologna or Florence to see AC Milan, Inter, Juventus or AS Roma in 1-2 hours.

Last edited by Chukcha; 10-09-2017 at 11:28 AM..

Old 10-10-2017, 10:59 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
sorry, but i for one do not like participation trophies. you go out onto the field of play, be it football, baseball, basketball, auto racing, or what ever. you do your best and if you win, you realize that the team you just beat will work harder to best you next time, so you work to get better.

on the other hand if you lose, you go home and worker harder to get better, and go out with the intent to gin beat the team you lost to last time. so wni or lose, you work to get better every time. and participation trophies mean you were there but really didnt care enough to try and win.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
sorry, but i for one do not like participation trophies. you go out onto the field of play, be it football, baseball, basketball, auto racing, or what ever. you do your best and if you win, you realize that the team you just beat will work harder to best you next time, so you work to get better.

on the other hand if you lose, you go home and worker harder to get better, and go out with the intent to gin beat the team you lost to last time. so wni or lose, you work to get better every time. and participation trophies mean you were there but really didnt care enough to try and win.

I don't see the link of the thread with participation trophies.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukcha View Post
It seems a Euro/American thing. Americans tend to find Euro system terrible, and vice versa. I personally think that Euro system is a better fit for small countries.

From what I heard in UK. In general people support their local team even if they play in second or third division. But they also follow one of the "big four".

Fans not only follow their teams when they win and are at the top.

If you introduce promotion relegation. Your teams will always had a challenge.
In Europe, teams plays to win the league (or promotion) be qualify to europeans competition or either not being relegate to lower division.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:59 AM

Not sure but I think closed league has been put because USA is a very big continent. And it might cost a lot of money for a team to go at the other half of the continent to play a game every week. The business plan must be safety.
At earlier stage of professionnal sport, it might not be possible for a team to do it and risk relegation.

But now, with all the money in sport league. It's totally possible to do it.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:28 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
In Europe you have clubs. In America you have products.

In England if Liverpool do a bad job and get relegated they get punished. If it doesn't improve they will lose attendance and money and that's how it is.

Ill use MLS for my example, if you do bad here I think you get better draft options. So it kind of pays to suck really bad. I may be off on that as I think the draft system is terrible so not worth fully knowing. So look at Columbus Crew, their owners want the city to pay for a new stadium basically, so if they don't they'll move. Not somewhere else in the City, but to Texas. They'll literally pick their product up, rename it and start all over again. This is acceptable for MLS because teams pay $100 plus million to be a team now. Owners do not want to get related into a second tier of football (if their was one). Its a totally different model here.

MLS is fun to watch, but its not a good league so they do what they can to keep interest. That means no relegation and a playoff system that everyone statistically has a shot at making until late in the season, which is boring af. Its a failed system, as the plight of the US national team has shown. But it wont change.

Im from Ireland, for what its worth in the convo.

Last edited by BrianH; 10-20-2017 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: asfasdfasdfsfsafd

Old 10-21-2017, 01:12 AM

Do you know if there are some try to change this and integrate promotion relagation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports