Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which sports do you think are boring to watch on TV?
Soccer 50 28.90%
Rugby 13 7.51%
Ice Hockey 19 10.98%
Gymnastics 25 14.45%
Tennis 21 12.14%
Golf 72 41.62%
Archery 27 15.61%
Squash 26 15.03%
NASCAR 45 26.01%
Football 26 15.03%
Basketball 19 10.98%
Baseball 40 23.12%
Softball 22 12.72%
Lacrosse 14 8.09%
Bowling 36 20.81%
Figure Skating 20 11.56%
Cycling 34 19.65%
Swimming/Diving 13 7.51%
Badminton 20 11.56%
Fencing 21 12.14%
Judo 19 10.98%
Table Tennis 20 11.56%
Australian Rules Football 10 5.78%
Ultimate Frisbee 17 9.83%
Field Hockey 15 8.67%
Track and Field 10 5.78%
Cricket 25 14.45%
Curling 21 12.14%
Volleyball 6 3.47%
other (please explain below) 9 5.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 08:39 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,961,779 times

Advertisements

most boring:

1. On TV: NHL.
2. Live: PGA.
3. Both: any and all soccer.

best:

1. On TV: NFL.
2. Live: NASCAR/Indycar/F1.
3. Both: NBA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 10:01 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,367,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
the poll probably needs only the top 5-10 televised sports....not Olympic type sports like curling....those votes probably would have gone to golf along w/ many of the other olympic type sports.....didn't even realize Frisbee was a televised sport.
Amen to what you said, that this poll only should cover the more heavily televised sports. I NEVER see Curling on TV, other than during the Winter Olympics. Thanks for the reminder in my mind that it is coming up soon in early 2018, since I always enjoyed watching Curling during whenever the Winter Olympics air every 4 years. As for Frisbee, I don't think I've ever seen it televised, even on the more obscure ESPN channels(i.e. ESPN2, Classic, ESPN News, ESPN U, etc). And that also includes the various other more obscure sports cable channels like Fox Sports 1, NBC Sports ___, etc. I voted for golf and NASCAR for this poll, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Golf should be the #1 answer, BY FAR!!!

Soccer is also pretty boring. I can't waste time watching any sport where they run up and down a field that large for 90 straight minutes and then the score ends up being super low, with something like 1-0.

Baseball comes in third. Boring and slow as all get out to watch on TV (unless it's playoffs/World Series), but really fun to watch in person. Even then, I think it's more the experience of being in the ballpark as opposed to the sport itself actually being super exciting.
I don't mind watching soccer, but to each their own. I think enjoying soccer on TV, is an acquired taste that does not happen right away. I have to say as someone who has watched Premier League Soccer games in England for all these years, I can only imagine how WAY more enjoyable actually attending a Premier League game at one of those British stadiums has to be, over watching it on TV. The funny chants the fans come up with, how much they get into the game, etc. It's definitely a MUST DO goal for me(attending a Premier League game), if I ever get to the UK or Wales. Never understood why Scotland doesn't have at least a few Premier League teams, though. Maybe they have their own league that's less talked about, and also less televised for all I know? I also don't mind watching baseball, and you are right that attending an MLB game at one of those 30ish stadiums is more fun vs. watching on TV. Never mind a few of those stadiums are kinda more on the blah side, such as Oakland or Tampa's stadiums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
NASCAR, how many times can you watch cars go around a circle and not get bored out of your skull. Golf at least has commentator that talk quietly.
Or as a few people have jokingly said, if you like watching left turns a few hundred times! You're right about golf, at least they don't talk in an annoying manner vs. the announcers of certain sports events. I just don't know why I can't get excited about golf, as much as I have infrequently tried to watch that over the years when others were watching golf.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:27 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
No, Americans don't hate soccer.

They just don't really see it as a "sport". It's more of an excruciating torture.

They seriously believe the "rules & regs" to be dumber than dumb.

Americans don't get why so many soccer players flop. And flop. And flop. If it's just to draw a yellow card or red card? Or whatever? Americans don't get why that does anything for the "sport".

If it's a flop (?) then why do all of the "medics and stretchers" come flying out on the field?

It's a flop! F-L-O-P. Flop.

Offsides is one of the most misunderstood calls in soccer, and Americans think it's just one more ridiculous call -- which takes away any and all "excitement" (?) from an otherwise slow and boring game.

Why do goalies even exist? They always get scored on. Early and often.

And why penalty kicks? All a PK does is penalize the already intensely bored, dumbfounded fans who are already exceedingly and most assuredly bored.

Bored to tears.

Oh, and Americans believe soccer to be exceedingly slow. And boring.

Did I mention slow?
This^^

Old 11-14-2017, 12:33 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,913 times
I remember as a young kid back in the early 80s, they used to have "sport fishing" on one of the sporting shows every Sunday. Talk about a snooze-fest watching two old guys on a fish boat cast reels and just wait to catch a bite.

And the WNBA. I don't see how those organizations can stay afloat. It always looks like only about 10% of the stands are full during a game. And everyone is spread out. You would think with all those empty seats, they would just let everyone sit where they want.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:41 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post

I don't mind watching soccer, but to each their own. I think enjoying soccer on TV, is an acquired taste that does not happen right away. I have to say as someone who has watched Premier League Soccer games in England for all these years, I can only imagine how WAY more enjoyable actually attending a Premier League game at one of those British stadiums has to be, over watching it on TV. The funny chants the fans come up with, how much they get into the game, etc. It's definitely a MUST DO goal for me(attending a Premier League game), if I ever get to the UK or Wales. Never understood why Scotland doesn't have at least a few Premier League teams, though. Maybe they have their own league that's less talked about, and also less televised for all I know? I also don't mind watching baseball, and you are right that attending an MLB game at one of those 30ish stadiums is more fun vs. watching on TV. Never mind a few of those stadiums are kinda more on the blah side, such as Oakland or Tampa's stadiums.
I'll have to agree that watching soccer games live at stadiums is a significantly different experience. I recently became a fan (some 4 years ago or so, although I never hated the sport), especially after we started attending the games here in Orlando. While I'm sure the atmosphere is not like that of a Premier League game, it's still pretty amazing. The chants, the liveliness of the crowds, the flag-waving, etc. It makes NBA games seem like a snoozefest. It has completely changed my outlook of soccer, and we've become huge fans. In addition, once one understands the game a bit better (no they're not just running around playing keepaway, and the goalies play a very vital role) it becomes quite exciting.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:52 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
One of the few redeeming features of a recent Dolph Lundgren movie titled "Larceny" is an opening scene where he's casually watching a soccer match on TV at a Mexican bar.

"Score is still 0 to 0, I hate soccer", he moans. Of course he's Swedish, but playing an American character.

My top three: Nascar (And I question if it's really a sport), PGA and Soccer, in that order.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:23 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,659,757 times
I think the answers might be a bit different if the question were about live sports. Ice hockey is great to watch in an arena, but doesn't translate well to television, and soccer is pretty bad on television as well. OTOH, golf is even worse live, because all you can see is one hole at a time and you miss 17/18's of any good stuff.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:47 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,520,526 times
Sailing. You left off sailing. There is a poster ranting over in a thread about the two women supposedly lost at sea for five months abou this. He says sailing is not a sport at all, since it can be done by any fat, drunk slob. I responded that I watched the America's Cup on TV and the racers look very active and so they must have left the fat slobs at the dock. He answered that the only thing more boring than sailing is watching sailing on TV. He added that if you see sailors doing anything at all it is because the wind is blowing that day.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:22 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,850 times
Any!

Old 11-14-2017, 01:59 PM

385 posts, read 323,848 times
Bass fishing tournaments

beach volleyball isn't far behind -- six-person team volleyball is great, but with beach volleyball, there are few long rallies, usually a serve/setup/spike over and over and over again, ad nauseum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports