Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 11:39 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,665,277 times

Advertisements

For me I used to be a HUGE Miami Dolphins fan. Primarily when Marino was QB and in the early part of 2000's before Ricky Williams quit to smoke pot. Then Miami went through some bad years & since 2008 I think they've made the playoffs twice.

Now it seems that all my interest has shifted over to baseball with the Dodgers. I've been very involved in following on a regular basis since 2004. I had been a fan as early as 1992 but being on the east coast it was hard to watch games that came on late & just was more into Miami as a favorite team.

I know part of the reason is that Miami just hasn't been fun to watch but even when so I just feel like I have very little interest in football anymore. It doesn't have anything to do with the political/kneeling issues going on. I've felt this way for a few years now. Seems like it kind of started when I got into fantasy football 6-7 years ago and suddenly I was more focused on my fantasy team doing well than Miami (granted Miami was losing a lot).

I try and imagine Miami suddenly becoming a a division winner & Supel Bowl contender & I just don't care.

Just wondering if anybody can relate. Maybe you enjoy watching a sport but really don't have a favorite team anymore but you used too be a die hard fan. And why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 12:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,745,522 times
i tend to be a loyalist, and i dont lose interest in the teams i root for. i have been a cowboys fan since 1972, before that i was a colts fan(still am by the way, i just like the cowboys better).

my interest in football, and other sports has waned from time to time, but i still try to catch as many of the contests as i can when they are on.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:48 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,330,602 times
Bucs have given me very little to be proud of after their Super Bowl.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:31 PM

939 posts, read 502,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
For me I used to be a HUGE Miami Dolphins fan. Primarily when Marino was QB and in the early part of 2000's before Ricky Williams quit to smoke pot. Then Miami went through some bad years & since 2008 I think they've made the playoffs twice.
Dolphins went from a premiere sports franchise in terms of popularity, a TV ratings draw, and the winningest pro franchise between 1970 and about 2000. Now they have become a joke for the bad seasons, crazy off-field nonsense (coach snorting the white substance, Richie Incognito, etc...) and absurd transactions thru the years (signing Culpepper and not Brees, trading Wes Welker in the division for peanuts, now trading Jay Ajayi for peanuts, giving up the farm to get Lamar Gordon just because of Ricky Williams' sudden 1st retirement, etc...). More over they have become BORING on the field. When they became subpar in the mid 2000s due to inept offenses after all the okay teams and wildcard round wins during the Dave Wannstedt era, they still had two of the most exciting NFL defensive players over the years, Zach Thomas and the great Jason Taylor. Since the twilight of their careers in about 2007, the teams are generally plain boring.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:50 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,665,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Dolphins went from a premiere sports franchise in terms of popularity, a TV ratings draw, and the winningest pro franchise between 1970 and about 2000. Now they have become a joke for the bad seasons, crazy off-field nonsense (coach snorting the white substance, Richie Incognito, etc...) and absurd transactions thru the years (signing Culpepper and not Brees, trading Wes Welker in the division for peanuts, now trading Jay Ajayi for peanuts, giving up the farm to get Lamar Gordon just because of Ricky Williams' sudden 1st retirement, etc...). More over they have become BORING on the field. When they became subpar in the mid 2000s due to inept offenses after all the okay teams and wildcard round wins during the Dave Wannstedt era, they still had two of the most exciting NFL defensive players over the years, Zach Thomas and the great Jason Taylor. Since the twilight of their careers in about 2007, the teams are generally plain boring.

It's funny you mention tv ratings. Another reason I think I've lost interest in them is that when I was growing up they were on TV a lot. It seemed like at least every other week they'd be the AFC game on TV where I live. Then something happened. The Browns moved to Baltimore & became the Ravens. Then suddenly the Ravens were the local team & always on TV.

I'm not into going to bars/rest for games so unless it's on local TV I probably won't see a full game. That along with the poor playing in the last 10-12 years I believe also has something to do with it.

If the Ravens never moved to Baltimore & Miami was on TV a lot more I might have watched them more.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:11 PM

8,784 posts, read 10,204,023 times
Being a Carolina Hurricanes fan hasn't been a lot of fun this decade. I'm in it for the long haul though, became a fan in 2002 when they made their run to the Finals and have been stuck with them ever since. At least 2006 was a nice moment

As for other sports, used to be a big Charlotte Hornets fan. Disowned them when they moved to New Orleans (also the time I started really getting into Hockey), became a Mavericks fan. Still a Mavericks fan although living in Charlotte I support the Hornets too. However, the NBA in general I'm losing more and more interest in with each passing year. The one-and-dones, the lack of parity, and the constant shoving LeBron and everything he does and says in our faces has begun to turn me off.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:15 AM

16,882 posts, read 15,141,118 times
NBA and NFL in general have become somewhat of a snoozefest to me, and there are a few reasons: NBA, for one, has become a "let's join together and build a superteam with our best friends" instead of "let's make our team better." Basketball has become such that one player can virtually make the entire team: put Lebron on any team, and they are suddenly contenders. That's not fun. In hockey, for example, having Crosby or McDavid on your team doesn't mean much if the rest of the team stinks. You won't go anywhere. In basketball, it's the complete opposite.
Then, there's also the fact that it's become more of a celebrity cash-grab in recent years than anything else. There should be no such thing as a reality show called Basketball Wives.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:18 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,851,188 times
When the Rams left town they lost me and my interest but that's on them. haha

Old 11-28-2017, 08:47 AM

3,495 posts, read 745,497 times
in the late 60`s and thru the mid 70`s i followed all sports teams in New York and could tell you the rosters on most of them .. the Knicks .. The Mets .. the Nets .. the Jets .. the Rangers .. just could not go for the Yankee`s though .. could not get past the name .. the Miracle Mets and the Joe Namath Jets got me hooked ...have no interest at all in any of them any more .. there was a time when i knew a few players in various sports personally but not any more although Keith Butler of the steelers and a few of his brothers were on some sports teams myself and a few brothers participated on in our youth ..

Old 11-28-2017, 09:08 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,452,780 times
Fantasy football ruined my NFL fandom. I used to be a diehard steeler fan (they kick you out of this city if you aren't, so i still fake it).

But years of rooting for people to score touchdowns against them and got to the point i can't fake the passion I had when I was younger. I still want them to win but, it doesn't affect my mood if they lose anymore except by osmosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports