Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 03:33 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,589,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
He's the only Triple Crown winner that retired undefeated if I read the details accurately.
------------------------------
Other horses move up a little as far as the Breeder's Cup Classic. I still like Audible and the owners were quoted as saying they let Audible skip the Belmont because they thought Audible would beat Justify.

Looking at Hofburg in tomorrow's Curlin even though the horse has only won once.
It's in the best interest of Justified, in my opinion.

I realize that this particular retirement was due to injury, but more champions should retire when they're undefeated, in other sports as well.

Boxing immediately comes to mind, and the one I usually think about is heavy weight champ, Rocky Marciano. I seriously cannot think of any other sport where a champ retires after an undefeated career (49-0, with 43 KOs)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 08:11 PM

11,342 posts, read 9,235,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
He's the only Triple Crown winner that retired undefeated if I read the details accurately.
------------------------------
Other horses move up a little as far as the Breeder's Cup Classic. I still like Audible and the owners were quoted as saying they let Audible skip the Belmont because they thought Audible would beat Justify.

Looking at Hofburg in tomorrow's Curlin even though the horse has only won once.
Howard,

He's 1-2 in the morning line. Purse is 100K which is a huge class drop for him. If he doesn't win this, well, I really don't know what to say! Only a 6 horse field.

I just took a look at the field. Most are proven at this level, is Hofburg?
Clear sailing on the outside for high weight Reride who is probably saying "come and catch me!"

Old 07-26-2018, 08:46 PM

Looks like Reride is a probable scratch Friday, likely going in the Grade 2 Jim Dandy on Saturday instead. However, it's not official, yet.

If so the Curlin Stakes is now down to a 5 horse field. That will put Hofburg at close to 1-9. It should be a cakewalk but we'll see!

Old 07-27-2018, 05:08 PM

Hofburg won easily today in the mile and an eighth Curlin Stakes in the slop and paid a very generous $2.50 to win.

Comment "geared down" at the end of the race tells me he had plenty left in the tank...

Old 07-28-2018, 10:44 AM

643 posts, read 326,923 times
I bet trifectas in race 3,5,8,10 at Saratoga

(also race 2,6 at Canterbury Park in Minnesota

Old 07-29-2018, 03:36 PM

14,419 posts, read 20,528,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Howard,

He's 1-2 in the morning line. Purse is 100K which is a huge class drop for him. If he doesn't win this, well, I really don't know what to say! Only a 6 horse field.

I just took a look at the field. Most are proven at this level, is Hofburg?
Clear sailing on the outside for high weight Reride who is probably saying "come and catch me!"
Hofburg held on in the slop. Saratoga is his home track. They might target the Travers and could be the favorite when the track is known for bringing down champions and favorites.

In the Haskell I'm not giving 1-5 on Good Magic so a simple $1 Superfecta: 6-4-5-1

Bavazo owner said his horse is the only one to have done well in all three Triple Crown races and he is in better shape today than he was back then = serious long shot at 8-1.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:49 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,939,035 times
stopped for a look at Winstar Farm on a recent drive down the Old Frankfort Pike near Lexington but didn't see Justify...

it was the weekend before the 4th of July and it looks like Winstar (they pretty much own both sides of Pisgah Rd) had lined up miles of flags on either side of the road...

we were going thru too early to line up any visits but the farms are very accomodating in allowing visitors to tour the farms if you give them enough notice. Back in the early 90's we arranged a tour of Claiborne and the foreman spent about an hour showing us their horses; Nijinsky II, Ferdinand, Mr. Prospector and many others. This is Easy Goer showing off for us...

Last edited by Ghengis; 07-29-2018 at 06:48 PM..

Old 07-31-2018, 04:04 PM

Breeder's Cup race tomorrow at Goodwood in UK.

Horse #8 in race #4 is the son of Frankel and undefeated.
The first race on the card has a large field and they are running 2 9/16 mile.

Currently from one source the 2-1 favorite for the Breeder's Cup Classic is Catalina Cruiser.
With Good Magic back at 6-1.

Catalina has had a brief career though a 4 year old. We'll find out how good the horse is at the Woodward.
https://www.horseracingnation.com/ho...alina_Cruiser#

Old 08-08-2018, 01:21 PM

1,070 posts, read 386,582 times
For those you care about trotters, I went to Meadowlands for the Hambletonian and Cane Pace.

Check the Huambo elim and final:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aanxvS-OoFY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SOSfghh8NkE

In the prelim Atlanta slows badly in the stretch. She wins almost easily in the final going gate-to-wire. First filly in 20+ years to win the Hambo.

Oaks:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MH_X3AlcdKA

Cane pace:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yp9GGuFrGdE

Torrential downpour all morning which stopped at 11am - 1st race was “sloppy,” 2nd race was “good” (even though winner tied track record)

Next up - Travers and Saratoga for two days - 13 stakes races

Life is good - August is my fave month!

Old 08-13-2018, 01:36 PM

The Travers looks to have a very strong field.

On the 18th Winx goes for a 26th straight win at Randwick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports