Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 05:16 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times

Advertisements

If you take up golf for fun and exercise... How much walking (how many miles) do you think you'd get in as a rookie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 06:03 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
If you take up golf for fun and exercise... How much walking (how many miles) do you think you'd get in as a rookie?
A golf course averages about 6500 yards. For the sake of math, let's make that 6800. There 1720 yards per mile. That results in 4 miles of straight line walking. (per google.com).....most "rookies" don't walk a straight line due to bad shots.......

The game is very expensive to play at a lot of courses unless you get a membership at a county-city type course.

Good luck.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:27 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
A golf course averages about 6500 yards. For the sake of math, let's make that 6800. There 1720 yards per mile. That results in 4 miles of straight line walking. (per google.com).....most "rookies" don't walk a straight line due to bad shots.......

The game is very expensive to play at a lot of courses unless you get a membership at a county-city type course.

Good luck.
Your're right about that. Looking it up, I see the cost of a Jaguar F-Type there. Easy choice.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:13 PM

I played the game for over 30 yrs - lots of good memories....but most of those rounds I was a member of a course. You do get some exercise, especially on hilly courses. I recall losing weight when I golfed a lot. But it wasn't a real physical fitness (like I have now w/ running, lifting, and no golf).

I play very little anymore. Doing other stuff for fun, fitness. Golf can be a real time waster. It'll keep you out of trouble, but makes you one dimensional imo if that's all one does.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:20 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
We play a little local golf course. It's only 9 holes, but it's all down hill, flat for a while, then up hill, then down hill....I carry my clubs and it is a real work out! I've played 18 a couple of times and, MAN!!!

Old 03-14-2018, 10:23 AM

166 posts, read 313,789 times
I've played for 45 years. Never joined a country club. Golf doesn't have to be expensive or time consuming. I can play 9 holes for $11 in an hour and a half at a local course near where I work. 18 on a weekend is anywhere from $45 to $75, depending. And in the afternoons, 4 hours is the rule, not the exception. That much money for four hours to me isn't bad compared to some other sports (skiing - forget about it !! How about tennis ?) And walking can be decent exercise especially if you carry your clubs.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo123 View Post
18 on a weekend is anywhere from $45 to $75, depending..
if you play every weekend, that's a large chunk of money, isn't it? golf is a sport that requires frequently playing to maintain or get better....especially for less experienced players.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:15 PM

166 posts, read 313,789 times
Yes, if you play golf (or anything else) every weekend, it adds up. But you don't have to join a private club to do so, and it's not astronomically expensive as some have implied. And how often you need to play to get better - that's up to the individual. If money is really an object, you can also go to a driving range or a practice green to improve your game, and play 9 holes during the week. My point is - $50 to $60 dollars on a weekend to do something you really like isn't crazy expensive. And no membership required.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:16 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post

Good luck.
You lost me there - joining a club is likely more expensive unless you play a high number of rounds - mainly due to food minimums, initiation, monthly dues, etc. Yes - if you join a club, you likely can play as much as you want. But the reality is that due to the time commitments, not many people can really take advantage of that (maybe retirees?).

There was a survey done some time ago - the average golfer spends $3K a year and average a bit below one round a week. Like 48 rounds. So you're averaging about $60 a round. I believe that amount includes equipment like balls, etc.

As for walking a course - it's about 6-7 miles on average. Of course, more people ride in golf carts than walk... And most will also have a beer or two. So you're more likely to gain weight. The die hards that walk and don't drink are in the minority when compared to the entire spectrum of casual golfers.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:38 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo123 View Post
I've played for 45 years. Never joined a country club. Golf doesn't have to be expensive or time consuming. I can play 9 holes for $11 in an hour and a half at a local course near where I work. 18 on a weekend is anywhere from $45 to $75, depending. And in the afternoons, 4 hours is the rule, not the exception. That much money for four hours to me isn't bad compared to some other sports (skiing - forget about it !! How about tennis ?) And walking can be decent exercise especially if you carry your clubs.

We must ski at different places... my season pass was $299, but if I paid the Average Joe walk-up rate, it's $36/day. Ski hill is akin to the local 9-hole course though... it's not fancy, no on-hill lodging (or any within about 25 miles), only 3 lifts, etc...

I used to play golf in my youth (through high-school, was on my school team) but just can't justify the costs for how much time I can realistically get away to play. When I do play, it's with my clubs from the 1980's... people laugh at my woods, they're TINY compared to the monsters used today. I can still play about 5~8 over par though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports