Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 04:35 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
Then why not just a "India's most famous athletes list"? Because cricket in India has limited appeal outside of India. Not one American has heard of any of those people.

Australians love baseball. The MLB is big in Australia, Japan and has a presence in many other places. You can buy a New York Yankees hat anywhere in the world, Ichiro is a megastar in Japan and is known everywhere in Asia, Latin America loves baseball.

Think of it this way: If I am known at my high school by 90% of the student body and only 5% have ever heard of Neil DeGrasse Tyson, does that make me more famous than NDT? NO. Obviously not. Local notoriety is not the same as fame. I am very well known in some circles, but outside of those circles I am as anonymous as anyone else because I am not famous. Bring any of those cricket stars anywhere outside of India and nobody knows them.

And 33 soccer players but not a single NHL player? You're telling me that the 33rd most famous soccer player is more notable than Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin? These are global superstars. They are from one country and play in another, meaning their popularity stretches at least a couple of nations. Tom Brady being ranked in the 30s makes no sense because he's easily the most recognizable NFL player in America and is married to another global superstar and spends his life on camera and on the red carpet. Everyone knows who he is. Ask any American or Frenchman or Russian who any of those cricket players are and there's no chance they know them...but they likely know who Tom Brady is.

And you're honestly saying Azarenka is a bigger star than anyone in the NHL or MLB? She's a female tennis player not even ranked in the top 75.
No according to the West Indies, Australia, South Africa - oh, and the country which invented it (among dozens of others) . I'm not a fan, despite being English, but you're clearly underestimating the popularity of the sport.

I think Americans need to realise that their national sports simply aren't even on the radar to the vast majority of us outside the US. In fact I'm surprised some of them are as high on the list as they are, given this is a worldwide list! Who's Steven Curry for heaven's sake? I'd say the Williams' sisters are far more well-known worldwide. And Tiger Woods at number six? Even for a multinational sport, he's way too high!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 02:45 PM

317 posts, read 239,155 times
Cricket is popular in 3 of top 10 most populous countries.They are trying to spread the game now to ireland,Scotland,netherlands.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:59 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
It's nonsense, in that Lewis Hamilton (and I don't even like him!), the current Formula One WORLD CHAMPION is not on the list.
And no players from the Houston Astros? They did win the WORLD SERIES!

Old 07-20-2018, 10:39 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Don’t really care about fame but surprised Dwayne Wade and Derrick Rose still crack the top 40.
LOL... Wade and Rose more WORLD-FAMOUS than Crosby and Ovechkin?

That being said, I can definitely understand 33 soccer players being more famous worldwide than any NHL player. Soccer is just that much bigger.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:41 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Football for the rest of the world means soccer to us. They don't care about (American) football. Similar with baseball. A few countries do, Cuba, Japan. Most of the world doesn't care. Ping-pong is probably more popular than either baseball or (American) football.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:26 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Football for the rest of the world means soccer to us. They don't care about (American) football. Similar with baseball. A few countries do, Cuba, Japan. Most of the world doesn't care. Ping-pong is probably more popular than either baseball or (American) football.
And baseball outside the US, Japan & Korea and the Spanish Caribbean is rounders. Cricket is by far the bat-and-bases sport renowned by the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports