Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 09:33 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,572,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
American football is also incredibly popular across East Europe and the rest of the Anglo-Saxon world too.
LOL

Define your understanding of the word "popular."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 10:26 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,685,867 times
Maybe popular in the NATO military bases in Eastern Europe.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:57 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
I blame continental drift

Old 06-22-2018, 09:39 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,026,960 times
Quote:
Think the international competition is just low in soccer/football? Think again, you don't see them being all hyped up when their basketball or NFL-style football national teams play either. I have to wonder is it to avoid seeing the pressures of anti-American sentiment or is it because America is not United enough as a country? And you can't use the excuse either that the rest of the world don't give a **** about our sports. Explain how basketball got so prevalent in Europe and Australia and baseball in Japan and Latin America...
Good grief. I hate these kinds of questions. I wander into this forum in order to learn a little about the World Cup, and I read this.

While not well-phrased, I'm guessing the subtext of this question is "Why doesn't the United States swoon over soccer"? The presence of this thread in the soccer forum says as much.

The reason? We like our sports, and we have a lot of them. Baseball, basketball, football (Our version), and a host of others are already sucking up all our time and energy. I mean, hell, once kids stop being force-fed soccer in their teenaged years, they almost all drop it entirely or move on to other sports they find more interesting.

So we aren't terribly concerned about the opinions of people elsewhere about our sports. Hey, if you like basketball in places such as Lithuania or baseball in places such as Japan, well boffo. But I'm not terribly worried about if people don't care for our version of football or not.

I mean, hell, I some cricket when recently visiting South Africa. It was interesting for ten minutes, then I changed the channel. Yet I seriously doubt the good people of South Africa cared whether or not I cared for cricket. So why this insecurity about soccer?

Old 06-22-2018, 10:11 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Good grief. I hate these kinds of questions. I wander into this forum in order to learn a little about the World Cup, and I read this.

While not well-phrased, I'm guessing the subtext of this question is "Why doesn't the United States swoon over soccer"? The presence of this thread in the soccer forum says as much.

The reason? We like our sports, and we have a lot of them. Baseball, basketball, football (Our version), and a host of others are already sucking up all our time and energy. I mean, hell, once kids stop being force-fed soccer in their teenaged years, they almost all drop it entirely or move on to other sports they find more interesting.

So we aren't terribly concerned about the opinions of people elsewhere about our sports. Hey, if you like basketball in places such as Lithuania or baseball in places such as Japan, well boffo. But I'm not terribly worried about if people don't care for our version of football or not.

I mean, hell, I some cricket when recently visiting South Africa. It was interesting for ten minutes, then I changed the channel. Yet I seriously doubt the good people of South Africa cared whether or not I cared for cricket. So why this insecurity about soccer?
RE: your BOLDED sentence above: That's entirely UNTRUE in my experience.

I know quite a number of kids who were "force-fed" (your word) T-ball, Little League baseball, basketball and various other American activities, who ultimately ended up wanting to play soccer. They still play soccer at the park with their church and school friends, plus they always look forward to any and all soccer on TV -- especially World Cup soccer.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:25 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,049 times
Most of the rest of the world seems to be so invested in soccer, which is literally the most boring sport ever invented including golf and bowling, which isn’t even a sport lol. It’s so painful to watch I don’t think anyone in America is losing sleep over not competing as much there. We all have plenty of chances to watch little kids play soccer, which is really all it’s good for. Fantastic sport... when you’re 6.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:59 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,026,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
RE: your BOLDED sentence above: That's entirely UNTRUE in my experience.

I know quite a number of kids who were "force-fed" (your word) T-ball, Little League baseball, basketball and various other American activities, who ultimately ended up wanting to play soccer. They still play soccer at the park with their church and school friends, plus they always look forward to any and all soccer on TV -- especially World Cup soccer.
Not in my neck of the woods. Once the kids hit twelve or thirteen, it's almost impossible to scrape together enough players for form a league. That's because they're all opting to play either lacrosse or football.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:44 PM

5,944 posts, read 2,869,362 times
Quote:
Think the international competition is just low in soccer/football? Think again, you don't see them being all hyped up when their basketball or NFL-style football national teams play either. I have to wonder is it to avoid seeing the pressures of anti-American sentiment or is it because America is not United enough as a country? And you can't use the excuse either that the rest of the world don't give a **** about our sports. Explain how basketball got so prevalent in Europe and Australia and baseball in Japan and Latin America...
America is not allowed to cheer for our national teams . The Progressives think its Nationalistic and leads directly to becoming a Nazi state also racism if there are too many whites on the US team .sic.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:04 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,012,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Most of the rest of the world seems to be so invested in soccer, which is literally the most boring sport ever invented including golf and bowling, which isn’t even a sport lol. It’s so painful to watch I don’t think anyone in America is losing sleep over not competing as much there. We all have plenty of chances to watch little kids play soccer, which is really all it’s good for. Fantastic sport... when you’re 6.
This doesn't make any sense!? If football (soccer) is so 'boring' then why oh why is the world so obsessed with it? The popularity of the sport surely shows the opposite no? The 'beautiful game' is obviously the least boring of all sports.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:10 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
This doesn't make any sense!? If football (soccer) is so 'boring' then why oh why is the world so obsessed with it? The popularity of the sport surely shows the opposite no? The 'beautiful game' is obviously the least boring of all sports.
Hahaha that’s a good one! There’s nothing “beautiful” about it! Between the constant flopping, overacting, and aimlessly kicking the ball around, then you have actual games ending in 0-0, or 1-0 on a regular basis. Literally nothing happened for *90 minites* which is even longer than any timed sport in existence. This is a sport where the rest of the world once again hasn’t figured out what makes something dramatic or exciting, which sure isn’t NO playoffs! Why is this hard to figure out?! You don’t just play a regular season in the league then crown a champion based on that. Completely anticlimactic and lame. Doesn’t at all determine who the best team is at the time.

If I wanted to watch a bunch of guys flail around and fail to score, I’d just take my friends to the bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports