Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 05:40 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,996,947 times

Advertisements

Well done to Angelique Kerber, holding off Serena Williams to win her 1st Wimbledon and 3rd Major:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/14/t...nal/index.html

She becomes the first German woman to win Wimbledon since Steffi Graf.
Serena will still have another shot at the Slam record, and imo her 23 Slams in the Open Era is the real record anyway, without diminishing Margaret Court.
The Mens final tonight now between Novak Djokovic and Kevin Anderson, after Djoker outlasted Nadal.
Novak will not be underestimating the big serving South African for one minute, and has to have his return of serve game and his own serve at it's best to win this one, at least in a comfortable fashion and not in a prolonged marathon - which neither player will want.
Kevin Anderson can win this too, if he holds his nerve on serve, which he has showed he is more than capable of this tournament.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 10:57 AM

10,754 posts, read 4,344,063 times
In addition to preventing Federer from winning a 21st slam, Anderson has given Djokovic his confidence back.
Anderson has done a tremendous service for tennis, as now the tour will be a 3-man race once again (except for at Roland Garros, of course).
As Agassi said, tennis needs Djokovic.
Nadal and Federer are not enough, especially when they are coasting to slam titles.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:57 PM

Fantastic victory for Novak Djokovic at Wimbledon, to claim his 4th Wimbledon title and 13th Grand Slam:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/44839313

Have to feel for Kevin Anderson, who came out flat in the 1st 2 sets, no doubt the last 2 marathon matches taking its toll.
Nevertheless, Novak was clutch in the 3rd Set, and staved off set points to claim victory in the tiebreak.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:51 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
In addition to preventing Federer from winning a 21st slam, Anderson has given Djokovic his confidence back.
Anderson has done a tremendous service for tennis, as now the tour will be a 3-man race once again (except for at Roland Garros, of course).
As Agassi said, tennis needs Djokovic.
Nadal and Federer are not enough, especially when they are coasting to slam titles.
Right after the match ended, I was thinking about what those 3 represent. Assuming one of the three wins the U.S. Open, going back to the beginning of 2003 that will be 16 years, 64 Grand Slam singles championships, and one of those 3 will have one 51 of those 64 . I want more for Federer, but even more than that, I want Rafa to get to 20, and I want Djokovic to get to 15 to pass Sampras. I'm an American, but I've never liked Sampras.

(off the top of my head can I name the players who have won the other 13 and how many for each ? ...3 for Murray, 3 for Wawrinka, 1 for Safin, 1 for Gaudio, 1 for del Potro, 1 for Roddick, 1 for Agassi, 1 for Cilic.....and....and....ugh...I had to look up the last one...Ferrero)

Old 07-16-2018, 10:23 AM

3,978 posts, read 4,576,579 times
The focus now is on the making of history.

1) Will Federer win more grand slams? If so, how many more before he retires?

2) How many more grand slam titles will Nadal win? Will he catch up with Federer?

3) Does Djokovic have enough time to catch up on grand slam titles against Nadal and Federer? Will he keep his one-on-one wins against Nadal and Federer?

4) At the end, can we really say who is the GOAT when there are stats against the other one/two indicating otherwise?

Old 07-16-2018, 10:59 AM

1) 100% impossible to predict but I'd say Federer won't win any more slams.
Now that Djokovic and Nadal are both injury-free, I think we'll see the same situation as 2013-2016 (Federer won no slams during that period).
In fact prior to 2017, Federer's last couple of slams were 2012 Wimbledon and 2010 Australian Open, so he hardly won any slams from 2010-2016.
But let's revisit this when Djokovic or Nadal are injured again.....just a matter of whether Federer will be young enough to cash-in.

2) Nadal will catch Federer's 20 slams and overtake that record, by winning the US Open and some more French Opens at a minimum, and I wouldn't rule out the Australian Open and Wimbledon (obviously based on what we just saw, Nadal can win Wimbledon again).
The bigger question is, will Federer make it harder for Nadal by adding to the record?

3)Djokovic is too old to catch Nadal's current number of slams, plus I think Nadal will win several more.
I think Djokovic will keep his h2h lead over Nadal/Federer, and I think Nadal will keep his slam h2h lead over Djokovic (Nadal leads 9-5) and Federer (Nadal leads 9-3).

4) GOAT is not an accolade/award/stat, rather it is a figment of the imagination of fans. It never existed, and it never will exist.
But Federer's 20 slams exist, and Nadal's 17 slams exist, and let's see who finishes with the most.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Right after the match ended, I was thinking about what those 3 represent. Assuming one of the three wins the U.S. Open, going back to the beginning of 2003 that will be 16 years, 64 Grand Slam singles championships, and one of those 3 will have one 51 of those 64 . I want more for Federer, but even more than that, I want Rafa to get to 20, and I want Djokovic to get to 15 to pass Sampras. I'm an American, but I've never liked Sampras.

(off the top of my head can I name the players who have won the other 13 and how many for each ? ...3 for Murray, 3 for Wawrinka, 1 for Safin, 1 for Gaudio, 1 for del Potro, 1 for Roddick, 1 for Agassi, 1 for Cilic.....and....and....ugh...I had to look up the last one...Ferrero)
I think Djokovic will get to 15.
But if Djokovic doesn't get to 15, then that is great news for Federer, because Djokovic has been a huge roadblock for Federer at slams since 2010.
During that period, Federer only beat Djokovic at 2011 Roland Garros (but Nadal won that) and 2012 Wimbledon.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:28 AM

3,978 posts, read 4,576,579 times
Without one of these three born into this era, one or both of the other two's Grand Slam records would go through the roof.

Imagine without two out of three. In other words, in a Federer world without Nadal and Djokovic or in a Nadal world without Federer and Djokovic, the possibility of 40 Grand Slam titles and back-to-back career Grand Slam titles are very possible.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Without one of these three born into this era, one or both of the other two's Grand Slam records would go through the roof.

Imagine without two out of three. In other words, in a Federer world without Nadal and Djokovic or in a Nadal world without Federer and Djokovic, the possibility of 40 Grand Slam titles and back-to-back career Grand Slam titles are very possible.
To have a 3-way rivalry of this magnitude certainly is unprecedented in tennis, and I have followed this sport since the 80s, when we had Connors-Mac-Lendl. (Borg had just retired).
These 3 were all time greats, but not at Fedalovic levels of crushing dominance and legacies.
Sampras never had opponents of this magnitude either, apart from Agassi who really cleaned up later, once Sampras had started to decline (outside of Wimbledon anyway) and he himself had a resurgence in 1999 and the early 00's.
We have been privileged to see this, 3 double digit Major champions slugging it out, as it may never happen again.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:56 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,941 times
Nadal did very well to fight Djokovic until the end of that match, when it became clear he was tired (the del Potro effect) and Djokovic was the fitter one.

Nadal lost, sure, but he lost in the "best way," if that makes sense. Stats gives Djokovic the edge on both grass and indoors. Nadal is not as fit as he used to be, and was tired from del Po. Yet, with everything against him, he still was close to winning that match.

I think del Potro can definitely contend at the US Open, so my gut puts him, Djokovic and Nadal as favorites. Maybe Murray can make a deep run. I guess Cilic too . One can't forget Federer, but I really don't know how he will bounce back after the Anderson loss.

Anyway, congratulations to Djokovic and Angelique Kerber for their titles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports