Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 06:41 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I honestly didn't see this coming- Djokovic winning the last 2 Slam events. Back to #1 when the Australian takes place? I don't have a good read on how the rankings work.
Rankings points go on a 12 month moving window.
Novak has no points to defend for the remainder of the year, so there is a good chance he will get the YE#1 or be #1 by the AO next year.
And a truly fantastic match by Novak Djokovic, to draw level with Pete Sampras on 14 Major titles.
He now also has 3 USO titles, and equals Rafael Nadal and Ivan Lendl there in the Open Era . (the latter coincidentally also lost 5 USO Finals as well, so an unenviable stat he had to address tonight)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 12:15 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,703,829 times
What I found unacceptable was the way Williams supporters, which means the vast majority of the crowd,treated Osaka.
They ruined what should have a wonderful day for Osaka.Williams had to ask the crowd to stop booing Osaka. It was grossly unfair of the crowd to treat her this way. It was Serena who disgraced herself on court not Osaka.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:58 AM

3 posts, read 1,443 times
Im so sorry for Osaka, she is so cute at press conference. There is a difference between beeing winner while rejecting lose and behaving bad manner for Serena.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:33 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
They ruined what should have a wonderful day for Osaka.Williams had to ask the crowd to stop booing Osaka...
Why in the world would you think the crowd would be booing Osaka? They were booing that chair umpire & the whole unfortunate situation between Serena & him & how unfair she thought he was being.

Osaka's just the "innocent bystander" opponent on the other side of the net.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:44 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy212 View Post
Really "swayalot" (the poster's last ID behind so much trump boosterism), do you get paid to troll tennis forums as well as P&OC?

Yeah, I'm so sure you are a tennis fan. NO BORSCHT FOR YOU.

I have it on good authority that the Russians interfered with the match.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:46 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Why in the world would you think the crowd would be booing Osaka? They were booing that chair umpire & the whole unfortunate situation between Serena & him & how unfair she thought he was being.

Osaka's just the "innocent bystander" opponent on the other side of the net.
I agree with why the crowd was booing - even though it was still bad behavior.

With regards to Osaka, she had no clue why they were booing and thought they are were mad because SW lost, which meant they were mad at her. She's just a kid - did you hear her comments? She talked about what her mom and dad were doing. That's her world. I loved the innocence of it.

Osaka could not comprehend the whole social justice event that she overturned.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:50 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
I agree that it was bad behavior by Serena, but IMO the punishment did not fit the crime. Officials should not be intruding on the outcome of the match, period. I think when players have emotional outbursts that are disrespectful to the referee/umpire and/or unprofessional, but that don't physically affect the play of their opponents, then at most they should receive a fine - hell make it a hefty one. Just don't dole out punishments that have the potential to materially alter the outcome of a match.

It's excessive to take a game away, like what happened with Serena. To me, that's improper intrusion by an official, especially in a high-leverage sports scenario.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:58 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
I agree that it was bad behavior by Serena, but IMO the punishment did not fit the crime. Officials should not be intruding on the outcome of the match, period. I think when players have emotional outbursts that are disrespectful to the referee/umpire and/or unprofessional, but that don't physically affect the play of their opponents, then at most they should receive a fine - hell make it a hefty one. Just don't dole out punishments that have the potential to materially alter the outcome of a match.

It's excessive to take a game away, like what happened with Serena. To me, that's improper intrusion by an official, especially in a high-leverage sports scenario.
The umpire applied the rules.

First code violation - a warning

Second code vioation - a point

Third code violation - a match.

While the first violation may be debatable the other two were justified. In the end, none of the punishments actually affected the outcome. Osaka was the better player on the day and Williams temeperament got the better of her.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:26 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Time to focus on the champion. Naomi's press conference. She sidesteps the on court controversy, but answers apologizing during the trophy presentation. I love the innocence. You just don't see that with kids anymore, and she's 20. Totally refreshing...

As far as the match went - I think she won because she was able to handle SW's first serve - which I believe pressed her into mutliple double faults. Also she could keep up athletically with SW. She seemed like she was patient and played angles when the opportunity was there, but otherwise just kept the ball in play.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 09-10-2018 at 02:39 PM..

Old 09-10-2018, 03:11 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,722,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Time to focus on the champion. Naomi's press conference. She sidesteps the on court controversy, but answers apologizing during the trophy presentation. I love the innocence. You just don't see that with kids anymore, and she's 20. Totally refreshing...

As far as the match went - I think she won because she was able to handle SW's first serve - which I believe pressed her into mutliple double faults. Also she could keep up athletically with SW. She seemed like she was patient and played angles when the opportunity was there, but otherwise just kept the ball in play.

I would add that her serve was great and put pressure on every one of her opponents. Sabalenka was a tough match, but she made Keys look pretty pedestrian. If I had to use one word for her ground strokes it would be crisp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports