Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 09:39 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
While I certainly don't condone Williams behavior, umpire Carlos Ramos made a terrible decision to make Serena forfeit a game
Um, this isn't really correct.

1. A warning to her coach to not coach from the stands and the coach admitted it, but we all saw it anyway. This isn't a warning to Serena, it is a warning to her coach regardless if Serena was taking the coaching. Serena is penalized however, because that is the rule. This should be the end of all of the drama, but it isn't because of Serena herself!

2. Serena slams her racket on the ground and it breaks. That is automatic, so that is the second penalty and creates a point for her opponent. NO grey area here because she broke her racket. Serena creates this situation herself and KNOWS it!

3. Serena, who has been in this game for a very long time continues to go on and on calling names and just keeps going. This is where it is different than other players that have had outbursts. Serena just never let up and she should know better. There is NO excuse for her behavior.

The fans were embarrassing booing, but it is NYC area. UGH Serena was an embarrassment and I feel bad for the young Osaka who showed more class than anyone in that whole arena.

The announcers at the end were also EMBARRASSING!!!!! Goodness, how pathetic! Acting as though Serena is someone to look up to after all those outbursts? Are you kidding me? They would never say that after a John McEnroe match that he had a bunch of outbursts as if he was someone to "look up to". I don't get how anyone can say that after Serena's display!

I can't condone how people will defend someone acting like Serena acted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 09:41 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY 915 View Post
It's shameful what US Open did to Naomi Osaka
https://nypost.com/2018/09/08/its-sh...o-naomi-osaka/
This is very well written. How people can side with someone that did all Serena did that night is beyond me. It was pure unsportsmanlike and like some spoiled brat out there! She is the greatest player, but she certainly isn't someone to "look up to" as a person. Player yes. No one in women's tennis can compare.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:48 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
While I certainly don't condone Williams behavior, umpire Carlos Ramos made a terrible decision to make Serena forfeit a game ( I could understand a penalty point but not a game) without warning her this behavior could result in her forfeiting a game.
The USTA violations and penalties are written and documented. Serena Williams knows the penalties for misconduct on the court.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:49 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Um, this isn't really correct.

1. A warning to her coach to not coach from the stands and the coach admitted it, but we all saw it anyway. This isn't a warning to Serena, it is a warning to her coach regardless if Serena was taking the coaching. Serena is penalized however, because that is the rule. This should be the end of all of the drama, but it isn't because of Serena herself!

2. Serena slams her racket on the ground and it breaks. That is automatic, so that is the second penalty and creates a point for her opponent. NO grey area here because she broke her racket. Serena creates this situation herself and KNOWS it!

3. Serena, who has been in this game for a very long time continues to go on and on calling names and just keeps going. This is where it is different than other players that have had outbursts. Serena just never let up and she should know better. There is NO excuse for her behavior.

The fans were embarrassing booing, but it is NYC area. UGH Serena was an embarrassment and I feel bad for the young Osaka who showed more class than anyone in that whole arena.

The announcers at the end were also EMBARRASSING!!!!! Goodness, how pathetic! Acting as though Serena is someone to look up to after all those outbursts? Are you kidding me? They would never say that after a John McEnroe match that he had a bunch of outbursts as if he was someone to "look up to". I don't get how anyone can say that after Serena's display!

I can't condone how people will defend someone acting like Serena acted.
The overwhelming majority of professional tennis players, both male and female, don't agree with you..

Old 09-09-2018, 09:51 AM
gg

Quote:
Her coach admitted he was coaching, but that does not mean Serena saw or wanted his signals. In fact, the commentators said it was practically impossible for her to see the signals from where she was. Should Serena have been held ronsponsible for the actions of her coach? I think not.
Um, you don't know the rule in professional tennis. If a coach gets caught coaching, the umpire can give warning which he did. The warning carries onto the player on the court. It doesn't matter if Serena used the coaching, could see the coaching or really anything. If the coach was trying to coach from the stands they can call it and the player has the warning. Simple rule and Serena KNOWS the rule, even though she refused to believe it. She breaks her racket. That is an automatic penalty, that is her second. Point awarded. No way out of it if your racket breaks. Remember that is a simple rule. After that Serena just melted down and just never let any of it go. You can't keep going between every game and then go after not only the ref, but everyone of authority and just keep it up. She deserved it. The blame is on her and her alone. She could have just let the coaching call go, but she just kept it up even with the automatic breaking her racket. She even argues that? Come on.

Personally, she had no answers for Osaka. She was beating her pretty handily to be honest. It is very refreshing to see a 20 year old up and coming tennis pro handle everything with such class and grace. Wow, she sure made Serena look bad.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Um, you don't know the rule in professional tennis. If a coach gets caught coaching, the umpire can give warning which he did. The warning carries onto the player on the court. It doesn't matter if Serena used the coaching, could see the coaching or really anything. If the coach was trying to coach from the stands they can call it and the player has the warning. Simple rule and Serena KNOWS the rule, even though she refused to believe it. She breaks her racket. That is an automatic penalty, that is her second. Point awarded. No way out of it if your racket breaks. Remember that is a simple rule. After that Serena just melted down and just never let any of it go. You can't keep going between every game and then go after not only the ref, but everyone of authority and just keep it up. She deserved it. The blame is on her and her alone. She could have just let the coaching call go, but she just kept it up even with the automatic breaking her racket. She even argues that? Come on.

Personally, she had no answers for Osaka. She was beating her pretty handily to be honest. It is very refreshing to see a 20 year old up and coming tennis pro handle everything with such class and grace. Wow, she sure made Serena look bad.
Many professional tennis players, both male and female, are coming forward saying this type of coaching, is an everyday occurrence, often with no penalty. Why was Serena singled out? I hope she doesn't drop this issue.. There is no way to know whether Serena could have come back to win the match. The umpire made that decision.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:00 AM
gg

Quote:
The overwhelming majority of professional tennis players, both male and female, don't agree with you..
Hmmm, well lets see. You are a pro announcer and a black woman gets penalized, but one of the most rewarded chair umpires, Ramos a “gold-badge” umpire, a status conferred on the top officials in tennis is questioned. He has vast experience and has umpired a final at all four grand slams, as well as the 2012 Olympic men’s final, in which Andy Murray beat Roger Federer. He is noted to be a stickler for the rules and has gone after Nadal and Murray notably for rules violations, so it isn't just Serena.

Anyway, these announcers aren't going against a black woman complaining this day and age. They would be labeled racist and BOOM done.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, well lets see. You are a pro announcer and a black woman gets penalized, but one of the most rewarded chair umpires, Ramos a “gold-badge” umpire, a status conferred on the top officials in tennis is questioned. He has vast experience and has umpired a final at all four grand slams, as well as the 2012 Olympic men’s final, in which Andy Murray beat Roger Federer. He is noted to be a stickler for the rules and has gone after Nadal and Murray notably for rules violations, so it isn't just Serena.

Anyway, these announcers aren't going against a black woman complaining this day and age. They would be labeled racist and BOOM done.
Please google. I think you will get the correct perspective from professional tennis players. I have read where Ramos has made other poor judgments. Again, a penalty, but basically giving the match to the other person in a Grand Slam final, no way.. I'm going to ignore your last comment..

Old 09-09-2018, 10:53 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,725,543 times
Quote:
Please google. I think you will get the correct perspective from professional tennis players. I have read where Ramos has made other poor judgments. Again, a penalty, but basically giving the match to the other person in a Grand Slam final, no way.. I'm going to ignore your last comment..

Come on, he didn't give her the match. Osaka kicked her butt in the first set, went down a break in the 2nd but broke back. That's when Serena destroyed her racket. She was losing it mentally and her serve was gone.
Watch the tennis channel's rebroadcast and you can hear for yourself how Serena was out of her mind.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:04 AM
gg

Quote:
Did you watch the match? Osaka was just simply playing better tennis by quite a bit. I don't think Serena would have had much of a chance and I think Serena knew it herself, hence the complete meltdown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports