Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 12:16 PM

361 posts, read 259,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
So you're saying that you agree with Ramos then? He only gave a soft warning to Serena for the coaching.
Wrong.

Soft warning is not "strike one" on the way to losing a game.

Soft warning is "hey, your coach is signaling you, if it happens again, you will get a WARNING", the first step towards losing a point and then a game.

I think Carlos showed poor judgment in a great (and what could have been better) US Open final.

Even if you go with his coaching warning, then the point lost on the second call, Carlos made even more of a mess of things by deducting a game without a conversation. Something like "Serena, if you continue this you will lose a game".

You really should read the link I posted. Connors called the ref a bum and then an abortion, and there was no consequence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 03:09 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
Wrong.

Soft warning is not "strike one" on the way to losing a game.

Soft warning is "hey, your coach is signaling you, if it happens again, you will get a WARNING", the first step towards losing a point and then a game.

I think Carlos showed poor judgment in a great (and what could have been better) US Open final.

Even if you go with his coaching warning, then the point lost on the second call, Carlos made even more of a mess of things by deducting a game without a conversation. Something like "Serena, if you continue this you will lose a game".

You really should read the link I posted. Connors called the ref a bum and then an abortion, and there was no consequence.

Perhaps you are not a tennis player, but I am a tennis player, and I can't STAND when my opponents or partners act like toddlers. It ruins my game, and the games for people on neighboring courts. It's not acceptable in any setting, from a lowly pickup game up through a grand slam.

And what are you implying by showing that different officials officiate differently? This judge chose to enforce the rules. If you're arguing that Connors should have been given an infraction, then I agree. But don't point to bad behavior by others as a reason that this particular bad behavior should have been overlooked- if anything, you're only proving my point further. That ALL bad behavior needs to be punished.

Disrespecting an official can be, should be, and IS punished in most sports, not just tennis. I just don't understand why we should make exceptions for three infractions by Serena just because she is Serena. Everyone should lose a game for three infractions, and if there are situations where it isn't happening, then let's make sure those other officials start doing their jobs like Ramos.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:13 PM

Let's get back to your comment:

Quote:
He only gave a soft warning to Serena for the coaching
Let me try to explain it another way.

He gave her a code infraction. The first code infraction results in a warning. That was not a soft warning.

It gets even more complicated as Ramos accused sister Venus, in another match, of cheating when her coached signaled. Venus explained that she doesn't look at her coach and Ramos imposed no code infraction:

This is from the commentary at:

https://www.si.com/tennis/2018/09/12...umpire-penalty

specifically:

Quote:
Like her sister, Venus declared that any charges of coaching were bogus because she does not cheat and doesn’t look at her box. It appears as though Ramos conceded this and did not give Venus a formal warning. Serena was in the identical situation on Saturday and protested on similar grounds. Ramos responded, “ I know that, too.” Serena was then under the impression that—as with Venus—this meant that her warning had been rescinded. In fact, it was not. Says my source: “ if Serena knew she had that warning, she never would’ve cracked her racket.” Which is to say that this whole situation owes to misunderstanding as much as anything else.
Like you, I play tennis. 30,000 people don't come out to watch me play. A gazillion others don't watch me play on TV. Most of us tennis fans don't want to see a ref in a high-chair impacting a grand slam final.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:48 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
Quote:
Perhaps you are not a tennis player, but I am a tennis player, and I can't STAND when my opponents or partners act like toddlers. It ruins my game, and the games for people on neighboring courts. It's not acceptable in any setting, from a lowly pickup game up through a grand slam.

And what are you implying by showing that different officials officiate differently? This judge chose to enforce the rules. If you're arguing that Connors should have been given an infraction, then I agree. But don't point to bad behavior by others as a reason that this particular bad behavior should have been overlooked- if anything, you're only proving my point further. That ALL bad behavior needs to be punished.

Disrespecting an official can be, should be, and IS punished in most sports, not just tennis. I just don't understand why we should make exceptions for three infractions by Serena just because she is Serena. Everyone should lose a game for three infractions, and if there are situations where it isn't happening, then let's make sure those other officials start doing their jobs like Ramos.
Very well said. The professional athletes know the rules and should obey them.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Very well said. The professional athletes know the rules and should obey them.
Here's to mediocrity. Like you, I don't want to see elite athletes push it to the limit (sarcasm).

Old 09-12-2018, 07:24 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,473 times
Quote:

I completely agree.

Her rant was ridiculous, particularly the part about her having a daughter. So you have a daughter, Serena. Big deal. You're still a diva and a sore loser. If you never played another game the world would go on just fine.

And what she said about fighting for women's rights was hogwash.

Serena is not exempt from the rules simply because she is Serena.

NO CLASS.

Last edited by applej3; 09-12-2018 at 08:46 PM..

Old 09-13-2018, 03:22 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
I really don't care about tennis anymore but I have to say we have all seen men do far far worse with no ramifications. How is this even remotely fair?

Old 09-13-2018, 05:09 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
I'm not a fan of tennis, so I didn't know who Serena was. Now I do. Now the world talks about Serena when it wasn't before. It gives her the attention she desperately needed. Little to no attention is paid to the winner.

Serena isn't a fool. She is very, very wise.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:37 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
Here's to mediocrity. Like you, I don't want to see elite athletes push it to the limit (sarcasm).
Let's take the sarcasm out of it.

I do want to see elite athletes push it to the limit. i want them to work hard in practice. I want them to push to the ultimate level of fitness and skill. I want them to fight for every point, run as fast as they can, hit the ball as hard as they can, use the best strategy they can.

What i do not want is for them to abuse officials, smash racquets, and generally engage in poor sportsmanship. I do not want to see them violate the rules, and I definitely do not want to see them demand that the officials overlook it when they do because they're big stars.

There's a reason for codes of conduct.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:12 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
She was upset and she said what was on her mind. Not sure how that translates into 'entitled'.
Did you even watch the match?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports