Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 03:41 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,396,531 times

Advertisements

As I watched the FIFA Women's World Cup this afternoon, it struck me how I thoroughly enjoy watching some sports played by women. There are also some sports which I prefer to watch men or will only watch men play.

For me, I far prefer watching women in my favorite sport, curling, but I still watch the men. I also prefer to watch women playing tennis or softball, and will only watch women play volleyball.

On the opposite side, I prefer watching men play golf and will only watch men playing baseball, (American) football or hockey.

Soccer (football) is about the only sport in which I enjoy either roughly equally.

How do you feel about this?

Are there some sports in which you prefer watching men over women? Women over men?

Are there some sports in which you will only watch men or only watch women?.

And what sports do you enjoy both equally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 08:15 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,696 times
Girls swimming is about the only female sport I watch on a regular basis. And by regular I mean every 4 years during the Olympics. I don't find softball interesting at all, then again i don't watch baseball either so that's a push. Women's basketball at any level is just not for me. I don't find it interesting, not entertaining, just it doesn't do it for me.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:37 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
As I watched the FIFA Women's World Cup this afternoon, it struck me how I thoroughly enjoy watching some sports played by women. There are also some sports which I prefer to watch men or will only watch men play.

For me, I far prefer watching women in my favorite sport, curling, but I still watch the men. I also prefer to watch women playing tennis or softball, and will only watch women play volleyball.

On the opposite side, I prefer watching men play golf and will only watch men playing baseball, (American) football or hockey.

Soccer (football) is about the only sport in which I enjoy either roughly equally.

Are there some sports in which you prefer watching men over women? Women over men?

We talking beach doubles or indoor? Personally - the beach game is boring. So watching the women is a bit better because of the eye candy factor. Indoors, the men's game is so much faster. But the women's game is more relatable.

Same for golf. As a player, other than the majors, I find myself more interested in watching the LPGA. 250-270 yard drives and 8 irons into greens from 150 yards out is more relatable to me. Watching the men driving it 320 or hitting a 7-iron 190 yards just seems too foreign. It might as well be a video game.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:42 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
"How do you feel about this?"
women win:
1. gymnastics.
2. ice skating.
3. beach volleyball.
men win:
everything else.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:22 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,236,737 times
I have found Womens College Basketball in recent years to be a good watch. I won't say it's better than the men but I do think it's worth watching around tournament time, the last couple of Final Fours have been great. It's much better than the WNBA, which is an awful product these days.

Don't watch a lot of Soccer but have seen some of this years Womens World Cup and I'm not that impressed.

I do watch Womens Ice Hockey when the Winter Olympics roll around but Womens Hockey in general isn't often televised nor is it promoted/as known as women's Basketball/Soccer for instance, so keeping up with up isn't as easy.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
for the most part it doesnt matter to me whether it is men or women playing a sport, if i like the sport i will watch it. i do prefer womens tennis over the mens side, and in auto racing, the men and women compete equally, and i do prefer womens gymnastics to mens. beyond that its all good.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:20 PM

167 posts, read 125,522 times
I enjoy men's and women's track cycling evenly. Except some races (scratch race, points race) of which the men's version is easily more dynamic, less predictable (I think maybe in part because the women's version of those races is shorter and there's less opportunity for things to happen). I also enjoy some of the Olympics events equally - much of the track and field, swimming.

Otherwise, I prefer men's sports.
I can't think of any sport where I prefer the women version. I even prefer the men's version of figure skating.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:10 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post

It's funny you bring this up. My wife and I were just discussing this while watching the World Cup. I have to agree with you, soccer is probably the only sport I enjoy the women just as much as the men. In some cases I even like watching the women more.

Football, basketball, baseball, and hockey I won't watch women. When it comes to more of the Olympic type sports I find myself enjoying the women more than men. Especially swimming, gymnastics, ice skating, and volleyball.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:24 AM

755 posts, read 399,145 times
Women's soccer is fine to watch its just a little slower. It's a shame Rapinoe feels the need to get political on foreign soil. I am now rooting for France.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:24 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
Women's soccer is fine to watch its just a little slower. It's a shame Rapinoe feels the need to get political on foreign soil. I am now rooting for France.
I think it's a shame as well. But not enough to make me root for another team. The other ladies on the team have worked just as hard to get to where they are. I won't let the actions of one player change my view of the whole team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports