Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 02:42 PM

6,569 posts, read 11,233,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Its tougher to play in Florida for those reasons, and also a lot more water on the courses here than up North.

I'm not sure if PGA National's (where my Dad plays) courses have Bermuda greens, or something else.
Courses can be made tough regardless of what region it's in. The key is being used to it. Fla courses tend to have lots of water and the wirey bermuda rough, but in AZ, you miss the fairway, and you're in the desert. And of course, "Texas wedge" was coined for a reason.

PGA national is Bermuda. But I'm going to guess that it's like dwarf Bermuda where it rolls a bit truer (less grain) than what you'll find a public courses down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 03:54 PM

25,468 posts, read 12,580,588 times
On November 4th he shot 71 with 4 birdies, but on October 28th, he kicked it around to score an 81 w/ no birdies.

I think his 4 best rounds in 2019 are 70,71,72, 73, & 74. 70 shots below his age.

I'm going to write Golf Digest, and Sports Illustrated again. This needs to be an episode of XFiles.

Old 11-14-2019, 04:45 PM

4,370 posts, read 4,334,482 times
Quote:
My Dad is 86. This year he's fired a 70 and a 72 in Senior PGA Pro (mostly retired club pro's but some ex-playing pro's too) laden events in Florida beating his age by 16 & 14 shots. Once you reach 80, you are essentially playing the Lady's tees, but still, the course is 6,000+ yards, and he's playing PGA-built courses in the PGA complex near West Palm Beach Florida.

Anyone heard of beating your age by more strokes than this twice in the same year?

I sent it into Sports Illustrated, but neverheard back. Golf is a dying sport, so maybe its no longer newsworthy.

yeah, right

Old 11-15-2019, 05:34 AM

25,468 posts, read 12,580,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post

yeah, right
Golf's Decline: 5 Reason Why Golf Is A Dying Sport | AJ And The Way

https://www.citylab.com/environment/...ourses/561896/

https://www.travelweekly.com/North-A...rse-correction

Here are just 3 articles, I could provide many many more.

The # of rounds played in the U.S. is in decline. The decline will increase due to so few younger people playing golf. Sad but true.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:20 PM

6,569 posts, read 11,233,872 times
Quote:
Golf's Decline: 5 Reason Why Golf Is A Dying Sport | AJ And The Way

https://www.citylab.com/environment/...ourses/561896/

https://www.travelweekly.com/North-A...rse-correction

Here are just 3 articles, I could provide many many more.

The # of rounds played in the U.S. is in decline. The decline will increase due to so few younger people playing golf. Sad but true.
actually - according to this article:https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikmat.../#6275a0735208

".....This starts with the fact that our participation numbers are up in key categories—beginners, avid golfers and those who experience the game at off-course options. A record-tying 2.6 million golfers played for the first time in 2018 – matching the all-time high set in 2017, which was the fourth consecutive year that number increased."

Of course, a 2-3% increase after a 20% decrease (not real numbers) doesn't mean a whole lot. The fact remains that people got way too optimistic back in the mid-late 90's. So there are no shortage of empty communities and golf courses as a result.

The other aspect is that "golfer" is loosely defined in terms of participation. I have friends that say they play golf, but they've only been to Top Golf and driving ranges. And there are others that play 1-2 times a year at charity scrambles - so this is really more like a social function that happens to be on a golf course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports