Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2019, 02:28 PM

590 posts, read 932,653 times

Advertisements

Prove me wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 07:42 AM

1,149 posts, read 452,470 times
Not with that crumbly officiating, as has become too frequent in these games. Great games generally require some standout defense as well. No matter how well the defenses played, I somehow doubt anyone would label a 3-0 final today, as a great game.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:01 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,082,984 times
lol

Old 12-10-2019, 10:40 AM

84 posts, read 31,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
Prove me wrong.
That would be way too easy.

Off the top of my head...

-Both NE/NYG Superbowls

-Niners defeating Cowboys with "the catch" by Dwight Clark

-Joe Namath and the Jets winning the Superbowl

-NE/Rams Superbowl

-Steelers/Raiders immaculate reception

-Marino and the Dolphins taming the Bears 46 defense

-Chargers/Bengals "the freezer bowl"

-Oilers/Bills Frank Reich comeback

-Peyton Manning and the Colts coming back against NE in the AFC Championship game

Let me know if you need some more.

Was it a great game and the best of the year in the NFL? YES

Was it the greatest of all time? Not even close. See the comments by Caj above (in particular, the defenses). In addition, it was a regular season game, not a playoff game with all the chips on the line.

Please try to keep things in perspective. The Niners are having a great year and I hope they win the Superbowl. But this isn't the greatest Niners team ever to play (not even close).

I do hope that 49ers fans won't start acting like Cowboys fans (typically characterized as arrogant and obnoxious by most outside Texas). Unfortunately, it's already started.

Old 12-10-2019, 03:47 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,587,352 times
Quote:
Prove me wrong.
Rams vs. Chiefs - MNF 2018
54 - 51 final score
six lead changes in the game, including four in the fourth quarter.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:58 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,026,639 times
Quote:
Prove me wrong.
Well, you're kinda being a prisoner of the moment. It's hard to label a regular season game as such. As a 49er fan (which I assume you are), it's understandable that you're on a high after such a big road win, in a venue that's "scary" for opposing fans. When your team wins one of those at the end, it feels like the greatest game ever.

Along the same lines, as a Rams fan, I could argue that the NFC title game last season was in fact the greatest ever...we were underdogs, the game started off dreadfully for us (dome was rockin'), we fought back but needed a 57 yard fg (that's pretty long btw) to get it to OT, then in OT one of the greatest QB's of all time gets the ball first and yet we're able to force him into an interception, which set up another long FG to send us to the Super Bowl....what a great moment, but only if you're a fan of the winning team.

Old 01-19-2020, 05:19 PM

1,348 posts, read 708,307 times
football degraded since you cannot hit the QB

Old 01-19-2020, 09:40 PM

300 posts, read 149,123 times
I used to be so proud to support the niners during their dream-team days, but for some reason my enthusiasm for the niners is lacking. Oh yeah, I think it's the way they turned football into politics. Well, they finally kept their head above water this season. I can say that.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:31 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,587,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneThornberg View Post
I used to be so proud to support the niners during their dream-team days, but for some reason my enthusiasm for the niners is lacking. Oh yeah, I think it's the way they turned football into politics. Well, they finally kept their head above water this season. I can say that.

I haven't heard any politics from the niners. I am not local so is that why?
But if I ever see some non-player be awarded something on the field it will decrease my viewership. Never needed a player doing that either (I'm ex-military).

Greatest NFL games ever were outstanding defenses shutting down an offense. Those Seahawks & Patriots playoff games were something. The Saint's never had a great defense so you expect the scores to be high.
Niners are tough on defense.

Old 01-21-2020, 02:35 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,166,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneThornberg View Post

Thank god the Niners took out the trash! All is forgiven. Shanahan and Lynch have done a great job turning that franchise around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports