Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 03:54 AM

11,042 posts, read 4,478,853 times

Advertisements

Nadal is the #1 seed, and is just ONE slam title away from tying Federer's record of 20.
Nadal and Federer have met 4 times at the Australian Open:
2009 Final = Nadal in 5
2012 Semi = Nadal in 4
2014 Semi = Nadal in 3
2017 Final = Federer in 5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 06:25 AM

1,149 posts, read 458,488 times
Federer survives by the skin of his teeth. Same with Kyrgios- 4 straight tie breaker sets vs Khachanov! Rematch upcoming on Kyrgios home turf vs Nadal. Will be fascinating. What isn't fascinating, is the women's side. Just a total eye sore watching all the unforced errors and top ranked players generally beating themselves. I guess Coco has been the one redeeming storyline.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:14 AM

3,101 posts, read 1,325,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caj727 View Post
Federer survives by the skin of his teeth. Same with Kyrgios- 4 straight tie breaker sets vs Khachanov! Rematch upcoming on Kyrgios home turf vs Nadal. Will be fascinating. What isn't fascinating, is the women's side. Just a total eye sore watching all the unforced errors and top ranked players generally beating themselves. I guess Coco has been the one redeeming storyline.
Yeah Serena has to be smacking herself right now. She would be the massive favorite at this moment had she not been upset. There’s really only 2 other top 12s left and Barty is so grossly inconsistent you can never know from day to day what she’s going to do

Old 01-25-2020, 10:32 AM

Barty gets very nervous and sometimes plays a set full of errors which she can't afford to do because she relies on consistency to win, so it'll be very hard for her to win the AO especially because hometown players get tight.
I really enjoyed Nadal-Kyrgios at Wimbledon last year, and it was the most energetic Kyrgios has ever been and Nadal won both the tiebreakers....

Old 01-27-2020, 05:49 AM

Tonight Nadal beat Krygios again, with the same scoreline as last year's Wimbledon meeting 63 36 76 76.

Nadal = 64 winners, 27 unforced errors
Kyrgios = 50 winners, 43 unforced errors

Apart from the double faults at crucial times, Nadal is in excellent form.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:05 AM

Ironic the exact same exact scoreline for Nadal.
This has become the Tournament for the Rejuvenated. How about Zverev? It was mind boggling what a train wreck he had become. He is playing alas the best he has in several years. I went to bed also thinking Stan the Man was done vs Medvedev. He comes back and wins. Raonic, oft hurt, is more dangerous than he has been in a long time and for a change, his return game has looked better. Look for a strong challenge to Novak. Tennys Sandgren continues to be undervalued and is capable of upsetting Federer. I'm not ready to pencil in that Federer-Djokovic semifinal.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caj727 View Post
Ironic the exact same exact scoreline for Nadal.
This has become the Tournament for the Rejuvenated. How about Zverev? It was mind boggling what a train wreck he had become. He is playing alas the best he has in several years. I went to bed also thinking Stan the Man was done vs Medvedev. He comes back and wins. Raonic, oft hurt, is more dangerous than he has been in a long time and for a change, his return game has looked better. Look for a strong challenge to Novak. Tennys Sandgren continues to be undervalued and is capable of upsetting Federer. I'm not ready to pencil in that Federer-Djokovic semifinal.
Zverev said if he wins this AO he'll donate all his prize money to the bushfire relief fund, maybe that has helped him mentally, because he looked a mess just before the AO.
Medvedev is great at the long rallies, but Wawrinka can end those rallies and always hits a lot of winners, just a matter of how many errors he'd make along the way.
Raonic would be a nightmare if returning well, but I haven't seen any of his matches at this AO so I don't know how different he is.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:52 AM

Unbelievable. Federer fights off SEVEN match points in the fourth set to somehow squeak by Sandgren, who absolutely has to devastated at letting this one get away.

Fed looks to have hurt his back in this match. His first serve speed was way down. But Sandgren played spectacularly well, especially serving. Once Fed early in the third set failed to earn a break back, up 40-0, Fed wasn't close to solving Sandgren's serve until the epic rally in the fourth set tie break, down 6-3. Sandgren also had three opportunities to close it out earlier, up 5-4. First Millman, now this match. It truly looked even more based on his back and the medical timeout, Fed was done.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:14 AM

Thiem defeated Nadal 7-6(3), 7-6(4), 4-6, 7-6(6).....epic.
Thiem: “We already had this epic match [at the US Open] in New York two years ago and today I had a feeling I was lucky in the right situations. The net cord was on my side. He is one of the greatest of all time, so you do sometimes need luck to beat him.”

Last edited by MAGAalot; 01-29-2020 at 06:37 AM..

Old 01-29-2020, 02:35 PM

I'm not surprised Thiem won. He has Nadal's number, if there is such a thing. Many meetings, a close series, and Thiem has drastically improved his game on hardcourts.

I'm not so sure we will see this Djokovic-Fed match materialize. Rumor is circling that Federer may be too hurt and it will be a walkover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports