Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2020, 07:23 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,495,388 times

Advertisements

So as we all know, Kobe passed away. Wrecked my whole day when that happened.
I spent the last few days watching something incredible happen.

I watched sportscasters and other sports personalities holding back tears, and many failing in that attempt.
I saw many, many basketball players, both active and retired sobbing openly. But I expected that. Many of those guys (and girls) had either played with, or against him, or otherwise had an actual relationship with him.

But what got my attention was the incredible amount of love shown to him by people from outside the sport.

Tiger Woods saying he was devastated, and several golfers rocking Kobe jerseys during a tournament.

Djokovic calling him a mentor, and that other tennis player wearing Kobe's jersey versus Nadal.

I forget the hockey star who wore Kobe's number for a game (apologies, not a hockey guy), I saw that some hockey games held a tribute for him as well, and some NHL guys carved tributes on their hockey sticks.

Countless NFL players paying tribute, NFL fans chanting his name at the Pro Bowl, and the Super Bowl having a moment of silence for him!

All this would have been somewhat more understandable if this tragedy had occurred maybe in 2008 or 2009 when he was at the height of his powers, but he's been retired for almost 5 years now. You would think he would have faded out of the public eye by now.

My question is what RETIRED player from a NON basketball sport would generate this sort of universal love? (yes other than Jordan). Since the player has to be retired that would eliminate Tom Brady and Tiger Woods both of whom are still active in their sports.
Peyton Manning is the only recently retired athlete who I think comes close to the career achievements of Kobe, but somehow I dont think he would have that same type of impact.

What do y'all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports