Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2020, 01:30 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,730,340 times

Advertisements

Is a sport/past-time I still love to preach about and still plan on practicing someday

But why is it still struggling to get itself back into the mainstream of society and the sports world? And even if it is, it is just fashion and gadget corporations using skating imagery for quick shot/cheap promotion and I frankly I think that's disrespecting to the skating community big time

Is the lack of infrastructure also to blame?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 09:28 PM

8,288 posts, read 8,699,688 times
It never was.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
It never was.
I get that it never was mainstream in the sense that there was a whole bunch of branches of media and culture for it, but it did have its fair share of exposure into popular culture and the professional sports sector

But I guess like many other countercultures, it just fades out

Old 04-07-2020, 11:20 PM

10,034 posts, read 5,741,090 times
It kind of got lost in the ever-broadening category of "extreme sports," and as long as that category keeps expanding skateboarding will continue to shrink into the background rather than zoom back into focus.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
It kind of got lost in the ever-broadening category of "extreme sports," and as long as that category keeps expanding skateboarding will continue to shrink into the background rather than zoom back into focus.
You're so right about that, the extreme sports barrier has only gotten so broad that it lost it's original meaning and purpose

Because skateboarding was one of the more pioneer-ish sports of the extreme sports "barrier" it certainly did lost it's way into becoming a top dog in the extreme sports sector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports