Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 07:57 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Whether it's D or O doesn't matter. The most exciting thing about basketball (to me and many others) is a slam dunk, which happens to be offensive. That doesn't mean that the most exciting thing in another sport has to be offensive.
If asking what is equivalent of most exciting offensive play in one sport, does it not also have to be offensive in other sport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 10:25 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If asking what is equivalent of most exciting offensive play in one sport, does it not also have to be offensive in other sport?
No.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:06 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I'd say in baseball the double play and the (vanishingly rare) triple play. Grand slam home run is next.

In football I'd say the interception when the opposing team's deep into your territory, then running it back for a TD.
In baseball, for me it is a double-steal with runners on first and third or just a runner on third stealing home.

In football, a pick-six is always a momentum changer. Until a few years ago, my favorite Super Bowl trivia nugget was that in Super Bowls with a team getting a pick-six, that team won every time. That may still be true - I haved watched a SB in four or five years.

Old 08-20-2020, 07:50 AM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
In hockey, probably the Lacrosse goal, but I've only seen it done 3 times in the NHL (twice by Svechnikov and once by Filip Forsberg.)

Old 08-20-2020, 03:47 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
For breaking glass...

Or just showing off...

Old 08-20-2020, 04:02 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
I am an old Basketball coach, so I have a different perspective. The dunk for some is exciting, but the three pointer is obviously better, because it's worth more points. A touchdown is better because you score the most points in one play, just like the Grand Slam. A dunk, meh.

Old 08-20-2020, 09:02 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,864,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Few things in sports can bring fans out of seats and teammates off the bench like the slam dunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYh59ahMgEw

What is every sport's equivalent of the slam dunk?
That’s our coach!

Also, there’s no equivalent to that dunk.

Old 08-21-2020, 05:17 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
In baseball, for me it is a double-steal with runners on first and third or just a runner on third stealing home.

In football, a pick-six is always a momentum changer. Until a few years ago, my favorite Super Bowl trivia nugget was that in Super Bowls with a team getting a pick-six, that team won every time. That may still be true - I haved watched a SB in four or five years.
Double steal? Runners? First and third? Stealing home? A pick-six!? Goodness this post could be written in Dutch and I wouldn't understand it any less! One of these days I'm going to have to ask somebody from the US to explain these things to me! :-D. Thanks to somebody's kind explaination I have learnt what a slam dunk is now though.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:06 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Double steal? Runners? First and third? Stealing home? A pick-six!? Goodness this post could be written in Dutch and I wouldn't understand it any less! One of these days I'm going to have to ask somebody from the US to explain these things to me! :-D. Thanks to somebody's kind explaination I have learnt what a slam dunk is now though.
In baseball there are three bases in a "diamond' formation 1st, 2nd, 3rd and home plate which when a runner touches records a point. Home plate and 2nd base are on opposite sides of the diamond just as 1st and 3rd bases are. You can potentially have up to three runners on base when the pitcher starts to throw a pitch, hopefully by the batter for the defensive team. A steal is when a runner on a base attempts to advice to the next base without the batter making contact with a pitch he would have to out run the pitch travelling around 90 mph to the plate the catcher making his catch and throwing the ball normally to the base the runner is attempting to "steal". A double steal would be two offensive players attempting to steal the next base on one pitch.

Most steals in baseball is by a single runner on first base stealing second base. 3rd base can be stolen but it is more difficult for the base runner since the catcher has a shorter distance to throw to try to get him out. Stealing home is the most difficult since the catcher doesn't normally throw that player out he just catches the pitch but the offensive player who attempts that steal is depending upon surprise and shock action to catch the pitcher and catcher unaware.

In American football to cross the defenders goal with the ball earns 6 points. A "pick" is when a defender intercepts a pass between two offensive players. Thus giving his team possession of the ball and easier scoring opportunities. A "pick six" is the defender not only intercepting the ball but on the same play returning it for a touchdown, that is crossing the defenders goal line and earning his team 6 points.

Old 08-21-2020, 11:45 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Dunking is not that difficult. Is just a matter of exercising the right muscles the right way. If you check YT you will find plenty of joe-smos under 6ft from po dunk towns dunking on 10 ft rims.

Even this 5'10" soccer goalie can dunk with a volleyball though. Gripping the basketball is harder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VIOb4eGqco
There is a difference between being able to dunk and being able to dunk in a competitive game. The level of difficulty is ratcheted much higher in a game. As you mentioned, palming the ball so you can hold it dunk is a large part of the problem. If you can't, your margin of error is greatly reduced - you need to be able to jump higher. Also, being able to dunk in a game requires you to do it while only taking two steps (rules of the game). I know plenty of people who could dunk a tennis ball, volleyball, women's basketball by palming it, jumping off dominant leg and able to put it in. Doing that with a regulation ball while dribbling and with someone guarding you is a whole different level of complexity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports