Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 09:54 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Then they cancel games due to players protesting. I think professional sports are rapidly losing their stronghold on the public. It will be interesting to see if football can bring back any enthusiasm. For me college football is the most fun, and that's already cancelled for the Pac-12 and Big-10. For me, and many others, it seems that lack of sports has enabled "finding" other activities, and may stick to them. On the topic, for the Seattle Mariners, I know that ticket sales are on average only 30% of their revenue. They have sold over 13,000 of the cardboard cutouts, but they don't bring in revenue every game like humans, just once when they are bought. They also don't pay $40 to park or pay $100+ for food and drinks. Of course the teams are also saving money, with less games, less travel and lodging costs, very few game day stadium staff. I don't think the billionaire owners and millionaire players are going broke.
They didn't cancel the games, they postponed them.

Let's use the Milwaukee Bucks/Orlando Magic game and LA Laker/Portland Trail Blazer game from last week

They were suppose to be played on Wednesday, and they didn't all in the name of "social Justice"

All they did was play the game two days later, no fans lost money because there were no spectators, and it was like the games could've been postponed for a leaky roof. The players still got paid, just two days later. The refs and statisticians, and TV cameramen, and TV broadcasters got a day off . Who are these cowards fooling ?

I think people are tired of being taken for granted with overpriced tickets, parking, souvenirs, concessions, for a game that is watered down from its hey day in the 80s and early 90s

Same with the other leagues.

saw an article that NBA ratings are "cratering" and are 40% down on TNT, also decreased ratings on ABC and ESPN. Good riddance. Could care less. Tired of being labeled a racist and lectured about how unwoke I am by expecting these players to play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 10:38 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,137,473 times
It started with kapernik.

Before Covid19 I saw an offer from Pizza Hut which gave you a Xlarge pizza, 5 toppings, AND 6 wings, for 10.00. Ten dollars.

NFL Football Sunday. I go in there and expect a full house. Nope.

ONE family there.................

Old 01-12-2021, 05:06 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
As others have mentioned, leagues have already signed muti-year, multi-million (billion) dollar TV, advertising, and merchandise deals. There is profit sharing. One blip of a season will hurt owners profits a little due to lost stadium revenue, but not that much in the grand scheme of things. They are still able to pay players.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:42 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
It started with kapernik.

Before Covid19 I saw an offer from Pizza Hut which gave you a Xlarge pizza, 5 toppings, AND 6 wings, for 10.00. Ten dollars.

NFL Football Sunday. I go in there and expect a full house. Nope.

ONE family there.................
You were expecting a full house of people eating at a pizza hut? They're retiring most of the dine in because people don't eat Pizza Hut anymore. It doesn't have anything to do with the NFL.

Old 01-16-2021, 11:40 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You were expecting a full house of people eating at a pizza hut? They're retiring most of the dine in because people don't eat Pizza Hut anymore. It doesn't have anything to do with the NFL.
Yes, cheap crappy food is still crappy food. The same people that go to pizza hut because they have a good deal on food are the same people who went to Old Country Buffet and didn’t care how bad the food was as long as they could eat unlimited quantities of it.

Regardless of the quality of the food though, who would want to go to a Pizza Hut to watch a sporting event? I’d want to be somewhere I could have a beer at least. Plenty of family friendly places to do this like Chickies and Pete’s.

But I prefer getting a GOOD pizza delivered and sitting on my couch!

Old 01-17-2021, 08:34 PM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
As others have mentioned, leagues have already signed muti-year, multi-million (billion) dollar TV, advertising, and merchandise deals. There is profit sharing. One blip of a season will hurt owners profits a little due to lost stadium revenue, but not that much in the grand scheme of things. They are still able to pay players.
Yep, right on. This has much to do with it. A lot is all about tv.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:55 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
And merchandising. How many $100 to $200 jerseys did they sell over the holiday season this year? Lots I’m sure.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:39 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Unfortunately that does not apply to the NHL. It is the only league of the big four that earn more from the gate then TV. For this current season teams will lose money and players will have to share in that revenue loss. Some owners wanted to cancel this season, however with on going negotiations for a new TV deal it was decided it was in the best interest over-all to play.
ESPN wants back in, so hopefully the NHL will get a new and much more lucrative deal starting the 2021-2022 season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports