Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 08:30 AM

6,430 posts, read 4,922,941 times

Advertisements

The main attraction of sports, for me, was an escape from all the politics, war, climate change, social unrest, weather, the economy etc. I could put on a game, suffer through the commercials and enjoy myself. Now there is just as much politics with team name changes, boycotts etc. The players political statements, which I understand and agree with for the most part, are fine and it is within a players right, and some would say duty.

Players are making more in 1 game than we make in 10 lifetimes. Its so money driven and players are insulted by a measly a $100+ million contract offer. Its ruining sports for the average person. Jim Brown, one of the all time greats, made less than $1 million in his career. How long can sports survive with the insanely escalating salaries? There has to be a breaking point at some time. Sponsors and networks are public companies and have to make money. The only sport I enjoy anymore is Soccer, that is played overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 08:42 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
lol at those that make proclamations of any kind on an anonymous message board

Old 08-28-2020, 01:00 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,048,500 times
So when did Jim Brown play?

Old 08-28-2020, 02:15 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,701,592 times
Pro Sports are DEAD !!!! I agree, SPECIALLY in this Country of Ours .... Full of Millionaire Team Owners that couldn't care less for the Fans and or the Cities they represent.

Old 08-28-2020, 02:20 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,048,500 times
When did team owners care about the fans or the city that they represented?

Pro sports is NOT dead. It will be fine.

I have said from the very beginning - if the NFL had just left Kaepernick alone, NONE of this stuff would have blown up to the point where it is now.

Old 08-28-2020, 02:30 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,701,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
When did team owners care about the fans or the city that they represented?

Pro sports is NOT dead. It will be fine.

I have said from the very beginning - if the NFL had just left Kaepernick alone, NONE of this stuff would have blown up to the point where it is now.
Too Damm Late Bud !!!!! This World is Out of Hand.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:17 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,586,201 times
The odd part to me is the power players have nowadays. Not just in the NBA, NFL, but the NHL, MLB, Nascar, and tennis have joined in. The ironic part is racial inequality, police cover-ups, brutality, has existed in the U.S. and abroad since sports began and before.

In fact, there will always be some form of inequality; women, income, class, job, education, short, fat, etc.

I'm a mixed black, like Kamala but I think independently as we all should. Plus, I am not being paid under the table or have deals lined up like many of our politicians. People can easily complain for decades about inequalities. However, it is no reason to say you hate a country that is far better than living in Cuba, El Salvador, the Congo, or hundreds of other countries.

Some groups are saying, or demanding, we need a revolution in the US in order to become like what???

Yes, change the current justice system so those who have money get the same sentence or fined proportionately the same as poor people. No upscale prison locations for the rich either. Of course, parts of the constitution need change, how police respond to common everyday situations, and the stupid looters & rioters tearing down city blocks is not helping. They shoudl be fined and jailed too.

Sports athletes should focus on their sport and let their political leaders handle the job. Politicians are experts at this, not athletes. Politicians aren't giving tips on catching a pass or drawing up plays. Yet, I do respect and applaud our pro athlete's effort to get more people involved in voting. However, don't vote just on a person's skin color, vote based on the person's record, their plan and how they can help all people. Shouldn't that be obvious?

Old 08-29-2020, 10:40 AM

3,062 posts, read 2,040,914 times
When an athlete of color is not on their court or playing field they realize they are at risk because of the color of their skin.
This is something white people never have as a daily worry about themselves or their children or their spouses unless they are non-white.

It's a pretty big deal to lose their kinda salary by taking a stand about racism and not playing.
No one is ever gonna do anything about racism by asking "pretty please" that much is clear.
When people walk off their jobs they are putting their money on the line and in athletes cases they have only a limited time their skills are valuable.

I applaud them.

Old 08-29-2020, 12:29 PM

7,939 posts, read 9,160,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
When an athlete of color is not on their court or playing field they realize they are at risk because of the color of their skin.
This is something white people never have as a daily worry about themselves or their children or their spouses unless they are non-white.

It's a pretty big deal to lose their kinda salary by taking a stand about racism and not playing.
No one is ever gonna do anything about racism by asking "pretty please" that much is clear.
When people walk off their jobs they are putting their money on the line and in athletes cases they have only a limited time their skills are valuable.

I applaud them.
NHL players did not lose a penny. Their contracts are for regular season only. Playoffs are financial incentives.

Players are free to do what they want. As prices for attending games and subscribing to cable networks and streaming services increase, people will have to decide whether it is worth it financially to continue to support these multimillionaire. Young kids aren't interested in sports, so there is a limited life span on all of these leagues. As these kids grow up, they won't support sport leagues, their money will go towards gaming.

Jacob Blake is a tough gut to support. Are the players really sure they want to back him and say he is one of us?

When will the women's groups come out and demand equal observance by the sports leagues who have now gone on record as supporting a sex offender?

https://nypost.com/2020/08/28/this-i...or-his-arrest/

This why you don't get involved in political things, or you at least wait until there is some sort of at least initial investigation into the matter before you throw your support towards a guy.

Old 08-29-2020, 05:16 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,332,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
NHL players did not lose a penny. Their contracts are for regular season only. Playoffs are financial incentives.

Players are free to do what they want. As prices for attending games and subscribing to cable networks and streaming services increase, people will have to decide whether it is worth it financially to continue to support these multimillionaire. Young kids aren't interested in sports, so there is a limited life span on all of these leagues. As these kids grow up, they won't support sport leagues, their money will go towards gaming.

Jacob Blake is a tough gut to support. Are the players really sure they want to back him and say he is one of us?

When will the women's groups come out and demand equal observance by the sports leagues who have now gone on record as supporting a sex offender?

https://nypost.com/2020/08/28/this-i...or-his-arrest/

This why you don't get involved in political things, or you at least wait until there is some sort of at least initial investigation into the matter before you throw your support towards a guy.
I’m a huge hockey fan. I won’t be watching the islanders game tonight or tomorrow. Maybe I’ll tune in game 5 maybe not. There was. I reason for the nhl to cancel games. Sports and politics don’t mix. I’ll see the score since I’ll get texts so I’ll put my phone away until 11pm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports