Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 01:56 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,644,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
What are your opinions on the "t-shirt fans", the people who follow and cheer for teams of colleges/universities they never attended? Or attend any college/university at all?
Notre Dame has a lot of fans like that - "Subway Alumni". That's why ratings were unusually huge for the Notre Dame-Clemson game even though ND hasn't had a championship recognized since the 80s. It's weird how they stay loyal that long.

I also noticed a strong fan base in the SEC. They have the highest attendance. But they are more likely to have (1) attended the actual university, (2) have a close relative who attended the school and (3) at least live in the state for the SEC team they root for. By contrast, Notre Dame may have "Subway Alumni" in places like Seattle, El Paso, Los Angeles, etc. who have never even seen the campus much less know anyone who went there.

But I predict they will get routed by Clemson in the rematch (assuming COVID-19 doesn't cancel the ACC championship and both win out). Clemson simply had a green, inexperienced backup quarterback who still put up great numbers but doesn't have Lawrence's magic.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:04 PM

1,982 posts, read 974,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Notre Dame has a lot of fans like that - "Subway Alumni". That's why ratings were unusually huge for the Notre Dame-Clemson game even though ND hasn't had a championship recognized since the 80s. It's weird how they stay loyal that long.

I also noticed a strong fan base in the SEC. They have the highest attendance. But they are more likely to have (1) attended the actual university, (2) have a close relative who attended the school and (3) at least live in the state for the SEC team they root for. By contrast, Notre Dame may have "Subway Alumni" in places like Seattle, El Paso, Los Angeles, etc. who have never even seen the campus much less know anyone who went there.

But I predict they will get routed by Clemson in the rematch (assuming COVID-19 doesn't cancel the ACC championship and both win out). Clemson simply had a green, inexperienced backup quarterback who still put up great numbers but doesn't have Lawrence's magic.
I live in SEC country. This is true. Most fans are fans because it is the state's or area's team. LSU is a religion here. You see it everywhere, even in the cities with FBS or FCS teams.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:14 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
What are your opinions on the "t-shirt fans", the people who follow and cheer for teams of colleges/universities they never attended? Or attend any college/university at all?
I'm not a fan of college sports. Not that they shouldn't exist - I think they should, but not the way they do today.

It's a good idea taken to absurdly expensive extremes with the student body paying for the sports which are coached by millionaire coaches who are driving teams of players who are not real students. Many of the players have no business at a four year college.

Fans who use the term, "we", are sort of my pet peeve. But I never say anything about it unless my opinion is asked.
It's a huge waste across the board. There are literally millions of high school students who have given up their studies because they are "going to play for the NFL".

Old 11-18-2020, 07:29 PM

1,982 posts, read 974,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I'm not a fan of college sports. Not that they shouldn't exist - I think they should, but not the way they do today.

It's a good idea taken to absurdly expensive extremes with the student body paying for the sports which are coached by millionaire coaches who are driving teams of players who are not real students. Many of the players have no business at a four year college.

Fans who use the term, "we", are sort of my pet peeve. But I never say anything about it unless my opinion is asked.
It's a huge waste across the board. There are literally millions of high school students who have given up their studies because they are "going to play for the NFL".
Most of the funding for sports programs come from the boosters and donors.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Many people in crowds enjoy screaming and yelling -some even like going a lot further -football games -demonstrations -it’s all the same
the issues actually involved may not be personally very important to them
According to my nephew in Portland none of his friends ever met George Floyd or know much about him

Old 11-20-2020, 06:43 AM

50,797 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Many people in crowds enjoy screaming and yelling -some even like going a lot further -football games -demonstrations -it’s all the same
the issues actually involved may not be personally very important to them
According to my nephew in Portland none of his friends ever met George Floyd or know much about him
What does that to do with the topic?

Old 11-20-2020, 09:32 AM

9,881 posts, read 4,650,430 times
Everyone seems to want a flag to wave. Celebrity attire wether it be actors clothes or sports team uniform it's their flag. Living life vicariously through something they have nothing to do with. How sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports