U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 07:03 PM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
294 posts, read 364,690 times

Advertisements

Stanley Cup Finals this year had abysmal ratings (worst since 2007). Pretty bad even though NHL is a slowly dying sport in terms of US popularity.

NBA Finals had their worst ratings since 2007 as well.

Game 1 of World Series was worst in ratings history since Major League Baseball started TV ratings in the 60's.

What's the cause for all this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 06:46 AM

4,028 posts, read 3,121,682 times
No idea, but I've been watching sports a lot less since Covid started & I'm not even sure why.

NCAA football - I normally tune in & watch 1 game a week. I haven't watched a game yet. I have no interest this year.

MLB - I normally watch the world series & some of the playoff games. I haven't watched a game. Not even the Brewers playoff game & I'm a Brewers fan. Again, I just can't get into it this year.

NFL - I normally watch a lot of games. This year I've watched all the Packers games, & half of the Vikings/Seahawks game, & that's it. Normally I'd watch about 2 games a weekend.

NBA - I watched a lot of the playoffs & most of the championship series. The Clippers/Mavs, Clippers/Nuggets series were engaging.

Old 10-22-2020, 06:57 PM
Status: "River rat with a house on the Delaware and apt on the Hudson" (set 22 hours ago)

4,172 posts, read 2,646,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIndependent View Post
Stanley Cup Finals this year had abysmal ratings (worst since 2007). Pretty bad even though NHL is a slowly dying sport in terms of US popularity.

Game 1 of World Series was worst in ratings history since Major League Baseball started TV ratings in the 60's.

Not true for the NHL. Their fan base has been steadily increasing every year over the past several years.

As far as ratings, it is obvious as to why the NBA. For the others there are probably several reasons. Over-lap of 3 sports at same time, the format of play, and of course some being upset with the political aspect.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:02 PM
Status: "River rat with a house on the Delaware and apt on the Hudson" (set 22 hours ago)

4,172 posts, read 2,646,634 times
Too add to that, MLB had very good regional viewership. Fans had strong interest in their home-town teams.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:30 PM
Status: "Merry Christmas! Happy new year!" (set 19 days ago)

8,283 posts, read 9,224,874 times
All in all at this point in time, more people are probably concerned about their well-being and if they will have money/job tomorrow than if the local sports team won last night. There's also the younger generation, I'm of the opinion by and large they don't have a big interest in sports like generations before them, they're more into individual athletes rather than teams or they are more into the E-Sports thing. But I'll try and answer this as best I can.

NBA: The ratings were not good before the shutdown and re-start. During the last off-season the league heavily promoted itself as being wide-open and parity galore. Except, there were at best 3 legitimate championship contenders (Bucks and the two LA teams). Once the Bucks and Clippers were eliminated in round 2, it became obvious who was going to win the championship. If your team doesn't have a superstar then the hopes of a championship are very, very slim.

NHL: I tell people this all the time, go to a game instead of watching on TV, you'll appreciate it more. As such, the ratings for the NHL are never that high to begin with. I enjoyed the playoffs even after my team was eliminated, but it also wasn't as accessible for me to watch like I normally do since there were a lot of early games as the re-start got going. I disagree with the notion that it's a "dying" sport/league, last seasons playoffs broke records for TV viewership. Like a lot of things, the score of the Stars-Lightning game isn't that important to the person who owns the deli wondering if he or she is going to get business today.

MLB: See above regarding the shop owner. Also not having a full season might have played a factor here, and Rays/Dodgers isn't what the average person likely thinks of when it comes to the World Series (though so far I've enjoyed it)

Old 10-23-2020, 12:28 AM

33,414 posts, read 31,318,482 times
the problem is the politics that have invaded these sports. fans dont want the politics, they want the game. they want to relax and get their minds away from everything.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:44 AM

6,092 posts, read 7,804,252 times
Quote:
Pretty bad even though NHL is a slowly dying sport in terms of US popularity.
Do you have any data to back up this claim?

Old 10-23-2020, 02:49 AM

8,669 posts, read 12,677,047 times
Quote:
Why is viewership ... ratings ... down this year for MLB, NHL, NBA?
I would first research total revenues and net income for these leagues (which mass media usually does not highlight), not just ratings (which it does) and by that I assume you mean ratings/viewership with respect to television which is so 1950s.

Of course 2020 is a anomalous in many ways, so wait another 5-10 years to analyze the impact of new forms of media on league/team revenues and net income.

I am middle aged and I almost never watch television, and I do believe that many young sports enthusiasts follow it through almost exclusively non-television media.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:16 AM

20,556 posts, read 14,237,296 times
Quote:

Politics and election. More people are tuning into election stuff than watching sports. And having political views on display in sports is also a major turnoff.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:53 AM

2,795 posts, read 2,960,413 times
People found other things to do during the shutdown and now have to balance those other activities with sports which are overlapping (at least for the last few months). I really missed sports because its another opportunity to bond with my teenage children. During the shutdown I spent a lot of time going down Youtube rabbit holes into content I was interested in or found entertaining. When sports returned, my initial comment was how much I hate sitting through commercials and the same commercials over and over again. In the Youtube world, I can fast forward after 15 seconds at most. During a football game, I get a 4 minute stream of the same commercials after each change of possession. RedZone is a godsend in that regard.

I think if everything had returned in the winter (when there are fewer daylight hours to be outside and the weather in much of the country is too cold to be outside), ratings would have been higher due to no other outlets. But the return in the summer, meant I wouldn't start watching until dark at the earliest (9pm in my area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports