U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greatest Bonehead US Championship Game Decision
Pete Carroll Throwing v Running in Super Bowl v. Pats 11 64.71%
Chris Webber Timeout in NCAA Championship, No Timeouts Left 1 5.88%
Grady Little Keeping Pedro in v Yankees, 2003 ALCS 0 0%
Kevin Cash Pulling Blake Snell in World Series Game 6 1 5.88%
Other 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 08:17 AM

5,557 posts, read 3,987,018 times

Advertisements

Greetings:

I can think of 4 boneheaded decisions, the most recent being Kevin Cash's decision to pull Blake Snell from Game 6 of the World Series....how would you rank these?...any others that come to mind, not listed on this poll??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 08:50 AM

6,021 posts, read 9,583,277 times
Carroll's is the worst of the four. Reverse those other decisions and the teams could have still easily lost. Handing the ball to Lynch from the 1 likely wins the Super Bowl. The choice is worse because it probably motivated by trying to get Wilson, not Lynch, the Super Bowl MVP trophy.

This one doesn't get much play.........but Pop taking Duncan out on the last possession of Game 6 against the Heat should be up there too. I think the Big Fundy gets that defensive rebound and Ray Allen never gets a last shot.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:52 AM

13,952 posts, read 12,546,445 times
Carroll’s decision is definitely the worst of the modern era. Historically, Babe Ruth getting caught stealing against the Cardinals for the final out of the 1926 World Series has always been seen as a major blunder.

Old 10-31-2020, 09:32 PM

1,033 posts, read 278,508 times
All great choices. I also thought of the Too Many Men on the Ice penalty on the Bruins in the waning minutes of game 7 vs the Canadians, nursing a one goal lead. But I researched and discovered that was in the 1979 semi-finals. Both 77 and 78, the Canadians had beaten the a Bruins in the Stanley Cup a Final. It was quite the hex that endured for about 50 years.

But I did think of another. Chris Webber’s time-out got mentioned. But don’t forget Dean Smith’s other national title was gifted as well in 1982. After the Jordan made jumper to put UNC ahead, who can forget what happened on the subsequent Georgetown possession? Fred Brown freezes up and throws it out to the wing to.... James Worthy.

Then there’s of course the infamous game 6 of the 86 World Series. John McNamara doesn’t replace Bill Buckner with Dave Stapleton defensively to start the bottom of the 10th.

Old 11-06-2020, 12:51 PM

1,361 posts, read 402,361 times
I voted "other" and give the award to Kyle Shanahan for his playcalling as Atlanta Falcons OC up 28-3 in SB LI with 5 mins left in the 3rd... why were the Falcons throwing the ball?

Then he did it again last year as HC of the 49ers vs Chiefs... blew the SB again with horrific playcalling.

Old 11-08-2020, 06:41 PM

4,111 posts, read 1,779,706 times
Carroll's decision was sound.

Lynch was 1-of-5 on runs from the 1 in 2014. Those who think it was automatic don't know what they're talking about. Don't be herd-following sheep.

It was 2nd-and-goal. Seattle had one timeout. New England was expecting run. The pass into the end zone guaranteed that the clock would stop on the play. Retaining the timeout would then allow flexibility to either run or pass on 3rd down, whereas if Lynch was stopped - again, as he was 80% of the time in similar situations that season - New England would know they were passing on 3rd down.

If Lynch had been stuffed, the same sheep would now be berating Carroll for backing his team into a must-pass situation on 3rd that New England would know was coming.

Stop being sheep.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:09 PM

13,504 posts, read 10,703,770 times
Does this count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCPyfS3-zJc

Old 11-15-2020, 02:39 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,853,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Greetings:

I can think of 4 boneheaded decisions, the most recent being Kevin Cash's decision to pull Blake Snell from Game 6 of the World Series....how would you rank these?...any others that come to mind, not listed on this poll??
Carroll's play is easily the worst and it's not even close. The Pats couldn't stop Lynch, Lynch was at his peak, quite possibly the best RB in the league that year on the 1.5 or 2 yard line. Now I didn't mind calling a pass there, they had just completed that big play down the field and the Pats are probably expecting a run, so if you want to do a play action, hopefully get someone open, or a fade/out to one of the corners, a relatively low risk play as a turnover is unlikely to occur, and with still 60+ seconds left, and only 2nd down thats plenty of time to Lynch into the end zone. So, calling the play itself wasn't terrible. The play they ended up calling (the slant over the middle) was abysmal. Low reward/High risk.

Grady, Pedro, and the rest of the Red Sox knew if Pedro came out of that game the Yankees were going to storm back, so he tried to push the car (Pedro) past the finish line when it ran out of gas, and they just couldn't do it. Likewise, the Rays were gonna end up losing once Snell came out of the game since 1 run wasn't going to win the game for them and if they kept playing that game 6 until today I doubt the Rays were gonna score again. So, like the Red Sox in 2003 it was more about getting the car towards the finish line when the tank's on empty then anything else, but he should've stayed in the game though. I'd put just as much blame on Steve Fisher that game for not reminding them they had no timeouts then Webber, plsu wasn't Michigan already losing anyways when that happened??

Old 11-15-2020, 03:18 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,853,045 times
For the "other" category I'd nominate the Falcons/Lions game from London in 2014. It wasn't a big game by any means, I think both teams missed the playoffs that year, and it was a week 8(9??) game from London that probably 4/5's of the country slept through but it was one bad decision after the other in the 4th quarter. Grantland did a whole article on it the day after that I can't find anymore which is a shame because I'm going to completely botch it but basically: Falcons have a 2 point lead and the ball, Detroit has 1 timeout left, and the Falcons had just gotten a first down before the 2 minute warning, so if Ryan takes 3 kneel downs, the Lions will get the ball at about their own 20 yard line with 30 seconds to drive, what 50 yards to get in position to kick a field goal. Almost a sure win. Falcons run on first down to use the Lions last timeout, run on second down....but the Falcons commit a holding penalty which stops the clock! Even if the Falcons run on 3rd down they can still tick the clock down until about 1 minute or so, not as good as 30 seconds, but still pretty decent chance. Anyways, on 3rd down they call a screen pass for Julio Jones, and he drops it. So, instead of punting to the Lions at 0:35, they are punting to the Lions at about 1:35, who now have an eternity to get 50 yards or so.

Not to be outdone by his counterpart (was that still Mike Smith??) who basically handed the game to him on a silver platter, Jim Caldwell wanted to be polite and hand the game back over to the Falcons as he didn't want this gift. Stafford takes them about 50 yards in 1 minute so they are down to about the Falcons 30 with 45 seconds left. From there its about a 48 yard field goal but since Matt Prater the kicker regularly hit 55+ yarders in Denver he is "well within range." Ok?? Remember they have no timeouts, so the only way they can stop the clock is by running out of bounds or spiking. Stafford spikes it on first down, so we are at I think 0:42 or something around there. Second down Detroit calls a running play, why I have no idea maybe Caldwell was asleep at that point, and somehow Atlanta bails them out and calls timeout to stop the clock. 3rd down at about 0:35 Detroit......runs the ball again!! and again gets bailed out because the Falcons got called for a defensive holding call, now I know Caldwell is really asleep at this point. Lions get a new set of downs, kneel on first down, and then spike it on 2nd down with about 5 seconds left to stop the clock and bring the kicking team on the field. Prater misses the field goal.....but wait its a penalty flag! Lions had a delay of game penalty. Ordinally this would have ended the game except with a change of possession (missed field goal) AND a 10 second run off inside 10 seconds, but since the clock was stopped and it was a pre snap penalty, Prater attempts a second attempt from 5 yards further back, that kick is good, no flags, and that game mercifully ends.

As I said not a big game, but memorable for the comedy of errors that transpired. The final 2 minutes of that game should play on an endless loop and be showcased in "how NOT to coach in a 2 minute drill." If I ever find the article I'll copy the link in.

Old 11-15-2020, 05:20 AM

525 posts, read 206,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach911 View Post
I voted "other" and give the award to Kyle Shanahan for his playcalling as Atlanta Falcons OC up 28-3 in SB LI with 5 mins left in the 3rd... why were the Falcons throwing the ball?

Then he did it again last year as HC of the 49ers vs Chiefs... blew the SB again with horrific playcalling.
As a Niners fan, I have to agree. Now injuries have killed any shot for a SB so Im even madder this year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports