Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 08:10 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,139,003 times

Advertisements

I don't know how likely this is, but thinking ahead...

The Right Way to Boycott the Beijing Olympics
The United States can repudiate Chinese policy without unfairly punishing our athletes.

As the Beijing Olympic Games approach, it is increasingly clear that China, under the control of the Chinese Communist Party does not deserve an Olympic showcase. Because it is too late to move the Winter Games scheduled for Beijing next February, some have proposed, understandably, that the United States boycott the Games.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/15/o...tt-romney.html

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/comme...ney-right-way/

https://utahpolicy.com/index.php/fea...ijing-olympics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 12:32 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,633,857 times
I plan to not watch the next World Cup in Qatar because of the human rights abuses and how they bribed their way to a selection. I haven’t decided about these Olympics, but I figure the same could’ve been done about Russia in 2014. It’s always a fine line when you play politics with the Olympics....the US made that mistake in 1980.

Old 05-01-2021, 07:29 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,139,003 times
That's a good point about Qatar, but I somehow think that these days, rather than just not watching, the way to protest is by an email or tweet.

Old 05-03-2021, 02:05 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Mitt's funny. I should "boycott" the Olympics by watching NBC coverage in the hope that it exposes the human right's record of China?

I don't need NBC's Olympic coverage to do that, although it sure would protect their ratings . The answer is simple. Watch, or don't watch. Send our athletes, or do not. Either we as a country (and me/you as an individual) think this Olympics represents the correct spirit of competition and sportsmanship, or it does not.

I have time to make up my mind. We will see what happens in the upcoming Wokeyo, er Tokyo games first.

Old 05-03-2021, 02:07 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
I thought the Olympics were in Tokyo, Japan

Old 05-03-2021, 03:32 PM

33,341 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I thought the Olympics were in Tokyo, Japan
This thread is about the Beijing Olympics, which start on February 4th.

Since the 1994 Winter Olympics, there has been a two year gap, numerically, between the winter and summer games, but this time there will be under 6 months from the closing ceremony of the summer games (Tokyo - 8/8/21) and the opening ceremony of the winter games (Beijing - 2/4/22) because of the pandemic.

Old 05-04-2021, 05:59 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
This thread is about the Beijing Olympics, which start on February 4th.

Since the 1994 Winter Olympics, there has been a two year gap, numerically, between the winter and summer games, but this time there will be under 6 months from the closing ceremony of the summer games (Tokyo - 8/8/21) and the opening ceremony of the winter games (Beijing - 2/4/22) because of the pandemic.
Thank you, now I know

Old 05-20-2021, 09:05 AM

9,839 posts, read 4,623,002 times
Don't watch or buy products promoted on the television networks or athletes. In the end it comes down to post Olympic spending/dollars.

Old 05-29-2021, 08:30 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times
There are proper ways to boycott professional sports like the Olympics, NFL and College football. But they are rarely effective take college football for example. That is a billion dollar industry for the schools (built on slave labor of the student athletes) while one or two people may care, the 89000 that pack into stadiums in the fall and the millions at home that watch the games make up for some handful of people that Skip it.

IF you want to make a good boycott, you have to do it in a financial way that filters upwards to the sponsors who put the money into the leagues.

Case in point. I and a few others (VERY FEW) Boycotted the NFL for a few years over the Michael Irvin cocaine incident in the 90s. This came about because the league, the team, the owner, the city, the fans, were willing to look the other way when some high profile athlete broke the law. Around that same time, an esteemed internist with whom I worked got caught stealing fentanyl from the hospital. He lost his license. Carted off the rehab, no seeing patients, no income, no second chance. SO I started thinking about the disparity in pro sports and the ordinary citizen. Had it been the janitor stealing fentanyl. he would have bought 30 years in prison. BUT when it is a high profile Super Bowl player, well, everyone looks the other way.

SO An NFL Boycott took place. There was no purchasing of tickets, merchandise or watching games. But we took it a step farther. I would go to a car dealership, act interested in a car, then when the salesman would call 20 minutes later, I would tell him that I cannot buy his product, because I had found out that his brand sponsors and advertises with the NFL. Made them upset, but I explained the boycott, that the principal was that I cannot buy products affiliated with the NFL and he can tell his manager all about it.

Did it to a state farm agent too. Point is, by attacking at the point of sale, and getting the word out, the hope was that someone who desperately needed a sale and could not get one would go to his or her boss and explain the situation, and it might eventually trickle upwards.

We continued the boycott until about 2001, having decided that the offending druggie was no longer in the league and observing people losing their places on teams due to drug use when Goodell initially came in. While professional sports cannot clean up drugs, well, they can at least placate cats like myself by looking like they are trying.

As for the Chinese Olympics, well, you know that Mr. Zhongwen GOU has been learning from Bill Belicheat for years, so expect the Chinese to break every rule. I would hope another SARS virus does not escape a week before the games, And I would suggest that I might keep my team at home for the games as well as to the ones in Tokyo, BUT I got really peeved when Carter did that especially because I was really into sword-fighting and was signed up for a tourney that could have led me to the Olympic trials, had I not been caught with a white powdery substance in my mask. (It was Catnip)

Old 05-29-2021, 10:59 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
There are proper ways to boycott professional sports like the Olympics, NFL and College football. But they are rarely effective take college football for example. That is a billion dollar industry for the schools (built on slave labor of the student athletes) while one or two people may care, the 89000 that pack into stadiums in the fall and the millions at home that watch the games make up for some handful of people that Skip it.

IF you want to make a good boycott, you have to do it in a financial way that filters upwards to the sponsors who put the money into the leagues.

Case in point. I and a few others (VERY FEW) Boycotted the NFL for a few years over the Michael Irvin cocaine incident in the 90s. This came about because the league, the team, the owner, the city, the fans, were willing to look the other way when some high profile athlete broke the law. Around that same time, an esteemed internist with whom I worked got caught stealing fentanyl from the hospital. He lost his license. Carted off the rehab, no seeing patients, no income, no second chance. SO I started thinking about the disparity in pro sports and the ordinary citizen. Had it been the janitor stealing fentanyl. he would have bought 30 years in prison. BUT when it is a high profile Super Bowl player, well, everyone looks the other way.

SO An NFL Boycott took place. There was no purchasing of tickets, merchandise or watching games. But we took it a step farther. I would go to a car dealership, act interested in a car, then when the salesman would call 20 minutes later, I would tell him that I cannot buy his product, because I had found out that his brand sponsors and advertises with the NFL. Made them upset, but I explained the boycott, that the principal was that I cannot buy products affiliated with the NFL and he can tell his manager all about it.

Did it to a state farm agent too. Point is, by attacking at the point of sale, and getting the word out, the hope was that someone who desperately needed a sale and could not get one would go to his or her boss and explain the situation, and it might eventually trickle upwards.

We continued the boycott until about 2001, having decided that the offending druggie was no longer in the league and observing people losing their places on teams due to drug use when Goodell initially came in. While professional sports cannot clean up drugs, well, they can at least placate cats like myself by looking like they are trying.

As for the Chinese Olympics, well, you know that Mr. Zhongwen GOU has been learning from Bill Belicheat for years, so expect the Chinese to break every rule. I would hope another SARS virus does not escape a week before the games, And I would suggest that I might keep my team at home for the games as well as to the ones in Tokyo, BUT I got really peeved when Carter did that especially because I was really into sword-fighting and was signed up for a tourney that could have led me to the Olympic trials, had I not been caught with a white powdery substance in my mask. (It was Catnip)
I used to work for an insurance company like that. I think someone tried doing that to me.. they tried blackmailing me for something stupid. I think it was because he was a bible thumper and he didnt like how I didnt bring up/give into religion in the workplace through a professional setting (or maybe overa happy hannakauh sign?).. so he threatened reporting our office (me specifically) for like a bunch of things including bad reviews in exchange for a better rate. I gave him a good rate, I quit the job a month later because I left NY to NYC for a career once I graduated. But I didnt forget what he tried to do to me. So i cancelled his auto policy so he had a lapse and had to pay a fee. Then I put his phone number in about six different auto warranty and lead poll numbers when it cooled down so he would get calls virtually every minute. And continued to do so before I left. Im from Massachusetts... you mess with me, i come back ten times stronger. I dont play games.

Point is. Dont mess with an insurance agent. I used to be one and we can be ruthless when we want and a lot of us dont stay there long. The State Farm guys are nice. But for most of us, dont **** us off. We stay in the job for quick money, usually not a long time, and when you **** us off.. we remember. Also dont bring politics or religion into their job... because if you get on their bad side.... just dont. For your sake.

Just saying.. dont take your anger out on an insurance agent because youll be paying for it lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports