Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 09:20 AM

7,912 posts, read 7,756,723 times

Advertisements

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...-life-1187137/

Interesting article and I can see the anti trust ramifications. I had internships in the past and read the book Inter Nation. I actually had to pay for my internships, forget about getting paid. The issue with internships that changed things is the lack of legal protections. Now you pretty have to pay interns.

I can understand the idea of compensation, especially when likeness is being used. If someone is playing a college sport are they an employee of that university system or not? What specifically governs an injury and who holds the liability for that? If the student is NOT on a scholarship for that sport they are paying an opportunity cost vs working for playing.

I can agree with the ruling but I think this will pretty much be the end to most college sports. Why? Well because frankly if everyone playing suddenly gets even five or six figures it's easily going to cost the industry billions. NCAA estimates half a million are playing some form of sports. If they all get 100K over a four year period that's 50 billion. Now I'm sure that your Ivy's and your larger private schools and largest public can probably afford this. The Beanpot will still go on, no worries there.

If the schools then start competing like leagues for pay then that changes everything. Let's say I'm an employer with some alumni. Did this person attend there because of the compensation while they were playing or was it actual academics? I've never heard of any HR professional tilting things due to college sports. But should they if they were making six figures?

Then there's the ramifications on the professional leagues. NCAA is a feeding ground for them. Well obviously you are going to have to pay more after this. Salary caps might have to be adjusted. Then the other issue is what happens when professional sports gambling comes into play. I'd be really careful if they allow it on college games after this.

It reminds me when we raise the minimum wages it often shuts people out of very low rung jobs and the very low skilled get shut out. If a college has to pay an athlete they'll be apt to set a bar based on what exactly? Earnings? How is that even established? Are we going to have people transfer cross country to be on some super team for championships like profession leagues? Are players then going to be traded like professional leagues? Now I know there's some places (mostly down south) that don't have professional sports but college sports are huge. OK fine but if your top players suddenly left what are you left watching?

How many coaches might leave after this? After all if someone comes in as a freshman that's four years under the same coach, many leagues don't operate like that. When does a player get cut? Performance of the game? Revenue ? or something else.

I think we might see academia outside of Ivy's drop sports or at least drop out of the NCAA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 11:34 AM

2,422 posts, read 1,295,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...-life-1187137/

Interesting article and I can see the anti trust ramifications. I had internships in the past and read the book Inter Nation. I actually had to pay for my internships, forget about getting paid. The issue with internships that changed things is the lack of legal protections. Now you pretty have to pay interns.

I can understand the idea of compensation, especially when likeness is being used. If someone is playing a college sport are they an employee of that university system or not? What specifically governs an injury and who holds the liability for that? If the student is NOT on a scholarship for that sport they are paying an opportunity cost vs working for playing.

I can agree with the ruling but I think this will pretty much be the end to most college sports. Why? Well because frankly if everyone playing suddenly gets even five or six figures it's easily going to cost the industry billions. NCAA estimates half a million are playing some form of sports. If they all get 100K over a four year period that's 50 billion. Now I'm sure that your Ivy's and your larger private schools and largest public can probably afford this. The Beanpot will still go on, no worries there.

If the schools then start competing like leagues for pay then that changes everything. Let's say I'm an employer with some alumni. Did this person attend there because of the compensation while they were playing or was it actual academics? I've never heard of any HR professional tilting things due to college sports. But should they if they were making six figures?

Then there's the ramifications on the professional leagues. NCAA is a feeding ground for them. Well obviously you are going to have to pay more after this. Salary caps might have to be adjusted. Then the other issue is what happens when professional sports gambling comes into play. I'd be really careful if they allow it on college games after this.

It reminds me when we raise the minimum wages it often shuts people out of very low rung jobs and the very low skilled get shut out. If a college has to pay an athlete they'll be apt to set a bar based on what exactly? Earnings? How is that even established? Are we going to have people transfer cross country to be on some super team for championships like profession leagues? Are players then going to be traded like professional leagues? Now I know there's some places (mostly down south) that don't have professional sports but college sports are huge. OK fine but if your top players suddenly left what are you left watching?

How many coaches might leave after this? After all if someone comes in as a freshman that's four years under the same coach, many leagues don't operate like that. When does a player get cut? Performance of the game? Revenue ? or something else.

I think we might see academia outside of Ivy's drop sports or at least drop out of the NCAA.
The court ruling wasn't about paying players for their performance, it was about giving colleges the freedom to offer benefits and assistance to student athletes. It may be a rose by another name, but even with this it's not openly legal to pay for performance. That's not to say it hasn't already been happening for decades, because it has. I know players who received vehicles, whose parents were given 'gifts', and a massive number of other things that have flirted with and skirted the NCAA's rules on compensation. How many universities have been sanctioned for such things, and there's 10 that got away with it for every 1 that was caught.

The NCAA makes money hand over fist. They charge the very universities they rely upon massive licensing fees simply to use their own mascots. Did you know that universities have to pay the NCAA to use their own mascots on merchandise and even letterhead? The athletics department in many public universities is actually classified as a private corporation operating within the campus to sidestep the massive profits those departments (and the NCAA) make. Then there's this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ate/114091534/

As for gambling, well: https://www.legalsportsreport.com/sports-betting/ncaaf/

At the college I attended, you had to camp out for days in hopes of being one of the early-enough-in-line to get student season tickets, which weren't cheap. They were often scalped to others for profit. The football stadium was renovated to install luxury seats and suites they would sell for big bucks to wealthy fans.

It may be a little more muted in the Northeast, but go to the Midwest and South and college sports has long been considered just another tier of professional sports, complete with pricy tickets, concessions, and merch sales. As someone who once worked at one of these universities, I can assure you the proceeds do NOT go back to the university or its larger student body.

Old 06-22-2021, 11:41 AM

2,332 posts, read 1,746,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
It may be a little more muted in the Northeast, but go to the Midwest and South and college sports has long been considered just another tier of professional sports, complete with pricy tickets, concessions, and merch sales. As someone who once worked at one of these universities, I can assure you the proceeds do NOT go back to the university or its larger student body.
They do largely pay for the scholarships for the non-revenue sports.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:01 PM

2,278 posts, read 1,323,598 times
Cancel sport scholarships.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:08 PM

2,422 posts, read 1,295,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
They do largely pay for the scholarships for the non-revenue sports.
Yes, but it's "kept in the family" so to speak. The big boys subsidize the Title IX, but the larger student body doesn't benefit.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Yes, but it's "kept in the family" so to speak. The big boys subsidize the Title IX, but the larger student body doesn't benefit.
Big Time Sports are a pretty valuable marketing tool. It sounds stupid but it's 100% true. It helps awareness greatly especially for people not in the immediate area.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:36 PM

15,747 posts, read 7,723,946 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Cancel sport scholarships.
Cancel scholarships for smart people then too.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:37 PM

15,747 posts, read 7,723,946 times
Default re

Look what Doug Flutie did for BC. Sports are very important to colleges like it or not.

Old 06-22-2021, 01:07 PM

2,278 posts, read 1,323,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Cancel scholarships for smart people then too.
Smart people belong to colleges. Sports don't have anything to do with education.
The highest paid employees of the largest public university system in the country are coaches. WTF

Old 06-22-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Smart people belong to colleges. Sports don't have anything to do with education.
The highest paid employees of the largest public university system in the country are coaches. WTF
https://www.city-data.com/forum/61302261-post6.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports