Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 06:17 AM

19,024 posts, read 16,838,454 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one that is sitting here wondering why Japan a modern nation with a strong economy has been so far behind in vaccinating their population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 12:30 AM

1,502 posts, read 834,012 times
Could be the same reasons as US: hesitancy, but probably supply as well.

Old 07-18-2021, 06:10 AM

11,952 posts, read 9,029,344 times
Apparently, Japan has done well with quarantines and public compliance has been good with public health measures like masks and social distancing. As a result, they've actually had only modest morbidity and mortality up until now, far lower than in the US and Europe. The US has about 330M people and we've had about 625K deaths. Japan has about 126M people and they've had about 15K deaths - far lower per capita (119 per million vs 1,876 per million here).

That said, their vaccination campaign has been slow. Vaccine supply, logistical issues, a shortage of doctors and nurses, and vaccine hesitancy have all been problems there.

Old 07-19-2021, 03:08 PM

6,559 posts, read 11,189,854 times
I don't know about Japan, but a lot of "modern nations" were not able to secure the vaccines early enough due to supply shortage. In essence, countries like US and UK got the early because of the money they provided to the manufactures. Some of the 3rd world countries also got them quicker because of WHO.

I know Taiwan was sort of in that situation. Certainly wanted vaccines, but just couldn't get them. It wasn't until recently that they started to vaccinate people. A lot of ex-pats that lives in Taiwan or Taiwanese ex-pats that live in the States but went back because of their covid success actually came back to the US to get vaccinated.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:17 PM

3,337 posts, read 2,262,344 times
It’s interesting Taiwan was doing very well throughout the pandemic that is until they started to vaccinate. Is it merely coincidental?

I do like the way Japan took the “Swedish” carrots request approach rather than a police power approach unlike many other countries in the world. Letting people choose the best methods to keep safe based on their situation. I be curious whether other countries would learn that the carrots approach isn’t more dangerous than the sticks approach with harsh lockdown, home imprisonment, stiff penalties. I am not saying Japan is perfect in every way they have their issues, though they show they show respect to the constitution yet death rates are not what other countries that turned police state feared if they didn’t harshly intervene by suspending people’s rights/constitution in every possible way.

Old 07-24-2021, 03:47 PM

9,535 posts, read 4,420,212 times
Japan was always a lower vaxxing country yet has some of highest longevity rates in the world

https://observatoireprevention.org/e...-in-the-world/

https://data.oecd.org/healthcare/inf...tion-rates.htm

Old 07-26-2021, 05:38 AM

24,510 posts, read 17,988,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
It’s interesting Taiwan was doing very well throughout the pandemic that is until they started to vaccinate. Is it merely coincidental?
You do realize that the Delta variant has a far higher transmission rate than the original COVID-19 strain. The viral loads have been measured at 1,000 times higher than the earlier strains. The transmission rate is so high that the traditional test, contact trace, and quarantine method doesn’t work very well. Even vaccinated people are getting exposed to such big viral loads that their immune system can’t keep up.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:41 AM

6,559 posts, read 11,189,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post

I do like the way Japan took the “Swedish” carrots request approach rather than a police power approach unlike many other countries in the world. Letting people choose the best methods to keep safe based on their situation. I be curious whether other countries would learn that the carrots approach isn’t more dangerous than the sticks approach with harsh lockdown, home imprisonment, stiff penalties. I am not saying Japan is perfect in every way they have their issues, though they show they show respect to the constitution yet death rates are not what other countries that turned police state feared if they didn’t harshly intervene by suspending people’s rights/constitution in every possible way.
This is all anecdotal or conjecture from relatives that live there. But their success rate was mainly based on strict quarantine rules, etc. The outbreak (from what I've been told) was the result of a number of those that broke the quarantine rules (mainly airline pilots).

I guess it's more timing and people's patience. Perhaps once people realized vaccines were on the horizon, they simply cared less about following quarantine restrictions..?

Old 07-28-2021, 08:39 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,579,137 times
Japan has a general reluctance toward treatments that have not been tested for a long time due to the effects of the atomic bombs coming years after the actual bombings. Birth control pills were only made legal in the late ‘90s, and even after that it was hard to get them for a while. They apparently wanted to wait a while to see whether there were any effects on children born after birth control was available. Hopefully once more people start getting vaccinated and having children with positive experiences, they will become less hesitant.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:18 AM

1,502 posts, read 834,012 times
Unfortunately, if only more Japanese where vaccinated to the levels of the Western World by the start of the Olympics then there would have some fans allowed in the stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports