Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2022, 10:29 PM

10,561 posts, read 4,200,685 times

Advertisements

I'm certain Serena won't make a comeback, because she's so obsessed with winning, and she's clearly expired in that regard.
Whereas if she just played for fun and didn't care about winning majors, she'd perhaps make a comeback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2022, 12:05 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,524,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Serena never gives her opponents any credit when they beat her, tonight she said Ajla played a little better than me, it's always about her. Serena was huffing and puffing on some points, she can't compete with the younger players at 40 yrs old. Serena's hard work paid off for her, amazing champion over the years.
Yes— she could have been more gracious
Ajla was certainly gracious to Serena—but also rubbed in the age difference when she mentioned how Serena was a an icon when she was growing up

Serena’s main opponent was age/endurance
I hope she does decide to retire and not try for another comeback
This Open gave her a chance to recall some of her glory days/plays
Go out with a positive vibe

Old 09-03-2022, 05:10 PM

158 posts, read 43,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I don’t really follow tennis but I appreciate greatness and Serena is just class—all the way
I think there were 6 or 7 match points in the last game—she just wouldn’t go down easily
I felt sorry for Ajla Tomljanovic—the crowd was her opponent as much as Serena—
She won and was sort of treated like a step sister—but was very gracious when allowed to speak
She had poise enough to just play her game so hope she has a good Open…
what are you a paid internet troll. serena class not even her biggest fans would say that out of fear or being thrown out of room

Old 09-03-2022, 05:38 PM

63 posts, read 69,217 times
The post about Serena having class surprised me so much I felt compelled to respond. Her list of talents and accomplishments may be long, but class is definitely something she lacks. She has a very long history of terrible, self-serving behavior on the court. She’s threatened umps, used strong profanity, and discredited opponents who beat her fair and square. She’s a horrible sore loser. She never acknowledged Kontaveit’s strong play and barely mentioned anything about Tomljanovic’s incredible ability. The real pros always acknowledge a worthy opponent. I’m thrilled she’s finally gone.

Old 09-03-2022, 06:54 PM

158 posts, read 43,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldsm0bile View Post
Well Tiger has less majors than Jack, but most of the people I see on golf forums give Tiger the GOAT title.
I wish Graf would have played til 40...she probably would have won 30+ majors.
reason tiger is considered best in america is mostly do to he is black and we all know who espn and american media promotes to be best in us sports

Old 09-03-2022, 11:03 PM

10,561 posts, read 4,200,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeMeQuick View Post
The post about Serena having class surprised me so much I felt compelled to respond. Her list of talents and accomplishments may be long, but class is definitely something she lacks. She has a very long history of terrible, self-serving behavior on the court. She’s threatened umps, used strong profanity, and discredited opponents who beat her fair and square. She’s a horrible sore loser. She never acknowledged Kontaveit’s strong play and barely mentioned anything about Tomljanovic’s incredible ability. The real pros always acknowledge a worthy opponent. I’m thrilled she’s finally gone.
I agree, the opposite of her sister Venus.

Old 09-03-2022, 11:48 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,387,685 times
Quote:
It’s funny how Serena has caught more heat than just about any tennis player in the modern era when I can think of other players who were far worse, in behavior and when talking about other players. I’m old enough to have seen John McEnroe. If you know you know.

Yet it’s clear that Serena gets more flack than these white players. Sorry but it’s true.

Old 09-04-2022, 12:01 AM

3,405 posts, read 1,359,859 times
Quote:
Yup, especially after she stole the stage. The loser shouldn't be doing the interviews at the end, so the fact that she didn't even once praise Tomljanovic just shows how she's very self-centered

Old 09-04-2022, 12:05 AM

3,405 posts, read 1,359,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
It’s funny how Serena has caught more heat than just about any tennis player in the modern era when I can think of other players who were far worse, in behavior and when talking about other players. I’m old enough to have seen John McEnroe. If you know you know.

Yet it’s clear that Serena gets more flack than these white players. Sorry but it’s true.
Have you ever seen Ash Barty act the way Serena does?? This is not a race issue. Serena is just a rude person who has lashed out at umpires countless times and thrown hissy fits when she's losing.

Old 09-04-2022, 08:19 AM

3,812 posts, read 4,387,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Have you ever seen Ash Barty act the way Serena does?? This is not a race issue. Serena is just a rude person who has lashed out at umpires countless times and thrown hissy fits when she's losing.
Nice deflection.
I just gave you an example of McEnroe who was worse than Serena in every way as a player but got less criticism than she does and you ignore it completely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports