Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 11:28 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,409,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldsm0bile View Post
this is the hot topic in the tennis world right now. of course were going to talk about it. he won 3 out of 4 majors last year in the twilight of his career. the guy is a living legend.
There have been some amazing first round matches so far in the AO. So we're really going to dwell on Djokovic's absence and not discuss some of the amazing games that have happened these past couple of days??

The hot topic would be discussing tennis games; not wasting time whining because the #1 male tennis player isn't in the tournament.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 12:01 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
There have been some amazing first round matches so far in the AO. So we're really going to dwell on Djokovic's absence and not discuss some of the amazing games that have happened these past couple of days??

The hot topic would be discussing tennis games; not wasting time whining because the #1 male tennis player isn't in the tournament.
Not watching this year, as are many others…

Old 01-18-2022, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Not watching this year, as are many others…
You do realize he's not the only good male tennis player? Medvedev, Rublev, Zverev and Tsitsipas?? Not to mention that Medvedev kicked his butt real good in the US Open last year and ruined his chance for a calendar year grand slam.

Then you have Barty, Kontaveit, Badosa and Krejcikova on the female side.

All great players!

Old 01-18-2022, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
You do realize he's not the only good male tennis player? Medvedev, Rublev, Zverev and Tsitsipas?? Not to mention that Medvedev kicked his butt real good in the US Open last year and ruined his chance for a calendar year grand slam.

Then you have Barty, Kontaveit, Badosa and Krejcikova on the female side.

All great players!
This is NOT about a particular player, rather about how it was handled by the Australian government. I’m fairly certain Novak would not have travelled to Australia had he not been cleared by the Victorian government to enter the country. While they did not ultimately have the final sayso, the fact that he travelled there in good faith should have impacted their decision. Had the government desired they could have found a more appropriate remedy than expelling the 9 time Australian champion and arguably the best male tennis player ever.

Old 01-18-2022, 11:59 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
This is NOT about a particular player, rather about how it was handled by the Australian government. I’m fairly certain Novak would not have travelled to Australia had he not been cleared by the Victorian government to enter the country. While they did not ultimately have the final sayso, the fact that he travelled there in good faith should have impacted their decision. Had the government desired they could have found a more appropriate remedy than expelling the 9 time Australian champion and arguably the best male tennis player ever.
?? Visas are issued by the feds, not state governments. I'm sure a 2 minute Google search would have shown him or his manager that. Lying on your application will get you thrown out of pretty much any self-respecting country.

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 01-19-2022 at 12:14 AM..

Old 01-19-2022, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
?? Visas are issued by the feds, not state governments. I'm sure a 2 minute Google search would have shown him or his manager that. Lying on your application will get you thrown out of pretty much any self-respecting country.
Exactly. I don’t get why people are boycotting the AO because of this. It wasn’t the AO who denied his entry. They have no control over what happened!

Old 01-19-2022, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Can you please prove proof that he lied on his application?

Old 01-20-2022, 01:02 PM

10,757 posts, read 4,344,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldsm0bile View Post
as far as im concerned at this point Novak is the GOAT. this whole thing and him standing up for liberty just puts him even more in the GOAT category in my view. love the guy. all the other players are lucky he is out he would have been a heavy favorite to repeat.
Does the GOAT mean anything though?

I'd much rather be in Nadal's shoes right now, going for 21 at AO and 22 at RG.
Much rather have the slam record than some non-existent GOAT title, given that there is no GOAT ranking system (other than slam titles, because nothing is bigger than slam titles), and no GOAT award....

Well its bad timing for Djokovic, because Medvedev beat Djokovic 64 64 64 at the most recent slam (2021 US Open), so the trend doesn't indicate that Djokovic would have won this AO....

In my opinion, Medvedev was very nervous in last year's AO Final, and now that he's won the US Open its unlikely that he'd suffer from such extreme nervousness and tentativeness in an AO Final.
We'll never know, but just as we can never prove that Monica Seles would have won more slams than Graf, we can never prove that Djokovic would have won more than 20 slams.

Old 01-20-2022, 01:44 PM

77 posts, read 35,333 times
lol with nole b.s. does australia know that that person sitting at stands around other spectator is bigger risk and danger for australia fight against outbreak then djokovic playing on court in 5-6 meter radius with nobody around him. i do not care either way about nole gets in or out not my life but to make example of this kind is just ridiculus and for camera

Old 01-20-2022, 03:16 PM

507 posts, read 343,909 times
Oh boy - Alcaraz vs Berrettini coming up in round 3 at Australian Open. Should be a good one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports