Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2022, 03:13 PM

25,590 posts, read 56,213,465 times

Advertisements

Congratulations to Rafa - can never count that guy out.

Been a Rafa fan since he was a kid. I remember years back, Rafa in his prime, he would clean up the court after time. "Restore order" was the common phrase. A joy to watch.

Tuned in for the start of AO in the early a.m., saw first four games - thought Rafa didn't have "it" - and was losing for sure - went to bed. Lo and behold, I read today after 5-1/2 grueling hours Rafaf has won. So, now I will watch the replay on ESPN tonight - with pleasure.

I will never forget the exciting and grueling semi at the 2009 AO against a fellow Spaniard whose name I can't recall - and then Rafa went on to beat Fed two days later in another grueling final. Nauseous from fatigue, but he won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Afraid not. This years Australian Open will always have an asterisk as Djokovic wasn’t allowed to compete.
Not a Novak fan, but have to agree with this. Remember Novak from years back, a hothouse flower, all manner of ailments, breathing issues, medical timeouts, hard to believe the development. A huge, obnoxious PITA. And, then, the worm turned - I remember a helluva beatdown Novak delivered to Rafa at the 2011 US Open title. Painful to watch. Sorry to say Rafa hasn't been able to dominate Novak for a very long time.

FO and Wimbly will be interesting this year. Expect a big comeback from Novak. I just don't want Rafa losing to Novak at the FO - that is sacrilege.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 03:28 PM

77 posts, read 34,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Nadal is not only a great athlete, he is IMO one of the classiest guys in sports, such a good dude.
you can not pick from all 3 three. you would think nadal was great only on clay but he wins on every surface not as much on clay. federer grass or hard court but he also wins on every surface. nole he also wins on all surfaces but his of all 3 are more even on all surfaces. but still all 3 are great

Old 01-30-2022, 03:32 PM

3,394 posts, read 1,348,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I disagree.

I think all the majors should have 'their long form'.

I think Wimbledon should go back to having to win the fifth set by two games/no tiebreaker.

But I know that's not going to happen.
But who can watch for 6 hours?? I already complain about baseball games being 4-5 hours long sometimes. 6 hours is beyond ridiculous!

Old 01-30-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Way to go Rafa! He is getting older...recovering from injuries...not sure how much longer he can go. So getting Australian Open #2 is legendary!
Unlike you, I’m very pissed off about how the AO tournament turned out. First, the women’s match becomes a mess where almost all the 10 players get crushed by underdogs, making this such an easy win for Barty. And secondly, how did Medvedev win the first two sets but blow the game??? At a two set lead, I should be able to turn off the TV and relax in peace knowing that Medvedev would be the winner!

I’m very disappointed in this tournament to the point where I’m at the verge of giving up watching tennis all together!

Old 01-30-2022, 05:38 PM

25,590 posts, read 56,213,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starigrad View Post
you can not pick from all 3 three. you would think nadal was great only on clay but he wins on every surface not as much on clay. federer grass or hard court but he also wins on every surface. nole he also wins on all surfaces but his of all 3 are more even on all surfaces. but still all 3 are great
For sheer talent, Fed is the best - always will be - among those three. Fed has a beautiful clay court game, as well as grass, as well as hard court. He is strong on every surface. Rafa and Novak have had to work much harder for the same results, except on clay where Rafa has always dominated.

In a tortoise and hare race, regrettably, I'll have to go w/Novak over Rafa. In the past, it was an always easy - Fed, Rafa, and then the others. However, Novak appears to be getting stronger with age. He may very well go on to win another three titles. Rafa and Fed, not so much.

Always been a Rafa fan first, but have admired Fed's talent. There's no getting around it - Fed is/was gifted and was somewhat lax in the fitness dept for a while b/c of his talent, but he's worked to correct that as he ages. Novak and Rafa have always had to work much harder than Fed for the same results.

On personalities I prefer Rafa and Fed over Novak. Novak has been pretty nasty in the past. Fed, intelligent, well-spoken, classy albeit a bit self-centered, but he has set the standard of play for everyone else. Rafa the nicest of three, imo.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-30-2022 at 05:51 PM..

Old 01-30-2022, 07:41 PM

3,598 posts, read 1,619,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Unlike you, I’m very pissed off about how the AO tournament turned out. First, the women’s match becomes a mess where almost all the 10 players get crushed by underdogs, making this such an easy win for Barty. And secondly, how did Medvedev win the first two sets but blow the game??? At a two set lead, I should be able to turn off the TV and relax in peace knowing that Medvedev would be the winner!

I’m very disappointed in this tournament to the point where I’m at the verge of giving up watching tennis all together!
There have been pros up two sets to love with match point in the 3rd that ended up losing in 5 sets in some slam finals before. Medvedev is a great player and young...will have many more chances...but this one is for Rafa!

Old 01-30-2022, 08:28 PM

392 posts, read 311,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Afraid not. This years Australian Open will always have an asterisk as Djokovic wasn’t allowed to compete.
Funny, I have been looking for that * next to NADAL 2022 Australia Open Men's Champion on all of the official results and I can't find it. Please let me know when you find the * next to Nadal's name.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:50 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,695,859 times
Men's game is too long, no wonder they get so many injuries.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Men's game is too long, no wonder they get so many injuries.
Exactly my thoughts. Not sure why anyone is disagreeing with me on this. I love watching tennis, but 6 hours is just crazy long and takes the fun out of watching a male grand slam tennis match.

If we must keep the best of 5, then let's find other ways to trim the length time down... like maybe get rid of the AD scoring and make 40/40 sudden death instead, like they do in doubles.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:52 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,695,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Exactly my thoughts. Not sure why anyone is disagreeing with me on this. I love watching tennis, but 6 hours is just crazy long and takes the fun out of watching a male grand slam tennis match.

If we must keep the best of 5, then let's find other ways to trim the length time down... like maybe get rid of the AD scoring and make 40/40 sudden death instead, like they do in doubles.
Since spectators think the men's matches are crazy long and don't want to watch the entire match, imagine what physical torture the players are going through on the court playing for so long! I set my alarm for 4 a.m. and watched the entire match, at one point McEnroe was saying a player should take the other player's legs out by controlling the point and making him run around a lot, that sounds like torture to me and takes the fun out of the game and delays it for injury time-outs to call the trainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports