Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 12:05 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,510,794 times

Advertisements

"The tennis star has a track record when it comes to questionable scientific claims. In his book Serve to Win, Djokovic described how in 2010 he met with a nutritionist who asked him to hold a piece of bread in his left hand while he pressed down on his right arm. Djokovic claims he was much weaker while holding the bread, and cited this as evidence of gluten intolerance. And during an Instagram live, he claimed that positive thought could 'cleanse' polluted water, adding that 'scientists have proven that molecules in water react to our emotions'."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-59897918

Why is it that people who are ignorant always reject mainstream science, but are wide-open to all manner of strange "theories" that defy even the most basic common sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2022, 01:06 PM

6,631 posts, read 4,298,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
"The French Sports Ministry said on Monday there would be no exemption from a new vaccine pass law approved on Sunday, which requires people to have vaccination certificates to enter public places such as restaurants, cafes and cinemas.

"This will apply to everyone who is a spectator or a professional sportsperson. And this until further notice," the ministry said.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sp...ry-2022-01-17/

Looks like you will have to cross France and the French Open off your list too.
I’m reading that French officials may reconsider the stipulations. They have several months to do so.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:16 PM

10,555 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post

The Australian Open officials made it clear from the start that all players need to be vaccinated, regardless of the their nationality, religion or genetic background - wild claims about bigotry from the Djokovic camp notwithstanding. In fact, they are also requiring all spectators be vaccinated - no doubt, they don't want the tourney to be a super-spreader event..

Djokovic, whether due to political passions or misguided medical views, wants to be an anti-vax warrior and say that no one can make him get the vaccine. Fine, then he doesn't play in tournaments requiring it for entry. It should be very simple.
No they did not. If they HAD, all of this foolishness wouldn't have happened.

Although I'm a big proponent of vaccination for Covid, I feel Djokovic was wronged by Australia.

As Australia's top player Nick Kygrios said: "We're treating him as a weapon of mass destruction while literally he is here just to play tennis."

With the vast majority of the most vulnerable Australians vaccinated, yet thousands of new Covid cases occurring in Australia every day, the government position just seems silly to me. Mitigate Omicron? That's a joke.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:33 PM

10,555 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
"The French Sports Ministry said on Monday there would be no exemption from a new vaccine pass law approved on Sunday, which requires people to have vaccination certificates to enter public places such as restaurants, cafes and cinemas.

"This will apply to everyone who is a spectator or a professional sportsperson. And this until further notice," the ministry said.

Looks like you will have to cross France and the French Open off your list too.
That's quite a flip flop. Wasn't it last week they announced he'd be welcome at French Open, vaccinated or not?

Old 01-17-2022, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
No they did not. If they HAD, all of this foolishness wouldn't have happened.

Although I'm a big proponent of vaccination for Covid, I feel Djokovic was wronged by Australia.

As Australia's top player Nick Kygrios said: "We're treating him as a weapon of mass destruction while literally he is here just to play tennis."

With the vast majority of the most vulnerable Australians vaccinated, yet thousands of new Covid cases occurring in Australia every day, the government position just seems silly to me. Mitigate Omicron? That's a joke.
Well said..

Old 01-17-2022, 08:02 PM

658 posts, read 721,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Also, Djokovic should serve prison sentences in Spain and Serbia, because he broke the law in both those countries when being in public while being covid positive.
I agree.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:07 PM

658 posts, read 721,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldsm0bile View Post
im not going to argue with a Covidian here. as its not the place. but i will just say this: i dont subscribe to what you subscribe to nor will i ever choose to live in fear.
We all live in fear of something, though. Fear is part of the human condition and you've lived with it for as long as you've had both of your amygdalae. Fear helps humans assess risk and stay safe. It's part of our core survival process. There is no reason to act like fear is an enemy or a monster. You don't need to be terrorized by the idea of being afraid. There's no reason to chuck all precautions when those precautions are logical just because you don't want to appear afraid to others. (They tell you being afraid makes you weak and it doesn't.)

Existing in a blind panic or under a level of hysteria that makes you non functional would be intolerable and a high level of suffering for anyone, but just having a healthy dose of fear shows that you have a healthy working brain that's looking out for you. You might be afraid of someone else getting sick and then not like, sneeze on them when you're sick. You might be afraid of getting cancer (a common fear).

We all have fears. Some big some small, some personal and some more global and some specific and some vague. That doesn't make a person less worthy of any good thing on this earth. Plus you can't even be brave without first being afraid. Bravery and courage rely on fear to even exist.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
I agree.
I didn’t realize Novak had been found guilty of a crime in either country. Please post link.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:18 PM

3,491 posts, read 1,408,723 times
Never really into men's tennis much. It's ok, but I'd rather watch female tennis. So, I don't really care about Djokovic. And besides, I do find him cocky and arrogant with no sportsmanship whatsoever. So I'm not a big fan of him.

Anyways, so far, the AO is shaping up to be quite a tournament...

Old 01-18-2022, 04:11 AM

10,752 posts, read 4,342,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Plus there will be no legitimacy whatsoever to the winner since the world’s #1 player wasn’t allowed in the tournament.
Nadal was ranked #1 and was Defending Champion at 2009 Wimbledon and Did Not Play.
Nadal had won 2008 Wimbledon and also won 2010 Wimbledon.

Also Nadal was Defending Champion at 2014 US Open and Did Not Play.
And Nadal was Defending Champion at 2020 US Open and Did Not Play, and he also Did Not Play 2021 US Open.

But the winners of that 2009 Wimbledon (Federer) and 2014, 2020, 2021 US Opens were still legit winners.

And Nadal actually deserved to be at those events (but was injured, or skipped 2021 US Open for covid safety reasons) while Djokovic doesn't even deserve to be in Australia, and will also not be welcome at 2022 Roland Garros-
Quote:
PARIS, Jan 17 (Reuters) - Novak Djokovic risks being frozen out of tennis as he chases a record 21st Grand Slam title, with rules on travellers who are unvaccinated against COVID-19 tightening in the third year of the pandemic and some tournaments reconsidering exemptions.

The Serbian, who has not been vaccinated, was deported from Australia on Sunday ahead of the Australian Open after losing a court case to have the cancellation of his visa overturned.

Under Australian law, Djokovic cannot get another visa for three years - denying him the chance to add to his nine titles at Melbourne Park - but the government has left the door open for a possible return next year. read more

The world number one, however, faces more immediate hurdles in his bid to overtake Swiss Roger Federer and Spaniard Rafa Nadal, with whom he is tied on 20 major titles, as he could be barred from the French Open as things stand.

The French Sports Ministry said on Monday there would be no exemption from a new vaccine pass law approved on Sunday, which requires people to have vaccination certificates to enter public places such as restaurants, cafes and cinemas.

"As far as Roland Garros is concerned, it's in May. The situation may change between now and then and we hope it'll be more favourable. So we'll see but clearly there's no exemption."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports