U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-20-2022, 03:16 PM
 
135 posts, read 59,139 times
Reputation: 239

Advertisements

Oh boy - Alcaraz vs Berrettini coming up in round 3 at Australian Open. Should be a good one!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2022, 05:19 PM
 
2,066 posts, read 611,667 times
Reputation: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Does the GOAT mean anything though?

I'd much rather be in Nadal's shoes right now, going for 21 at AO and 22 at RG.
Much rather have the slam record than some non-existent GOAT title, given that there is no GOAT ranking system (other than slam titles, because nothing is bigger than slam titles), and no GOAT award....

Well its bad timing for Djokovic, because Medvedev beat Djokovic 64 64 64 at the most recent slam (2021 US Open), so the trend doesn't indicate that Djokovic would have won this AO....

In my opinion, Medvedev was very nervous in last year's AO Final, and now that he's won the US Open its unlikely that he'd suffer from such extreme nervousness and tentativeness in an AO Final.
We'll never know, but just as we can never prove that Monica Seles would have won more slams than Graf, we can never prove that Djokovic would have won more than 20 slams.

While I'm happy for Medvedev and I personally like him better than Djokovic, I still can't help but feel a little bad for Djokovic's loss at last year's US Open Final. He was soooo close to winning a calendar year grand slam. And that's not easy to achieve as only five tennis players have done that! That would've been a wonderful historic win for Djokovic. Such a shame!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2022, 08:18 AM
 
455 posts, read 150,982 times
Reputation: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Does the GOAT mean anything though?

I'd much rather be in Nadal's shoes right now, going for 21 at AO and 22 at RG.
Much rather have the slam record than some non-existent GOAT title, given that there is no GOAT ranking system (other than slam titles, because nothing is bigger than slam titles), and no GOAT award....

Well its bad timing for Djokovic, because Medvedev beat Djokovic 64 64 64 at the most recent slam (2021 US Open), so the trend doesn't indicate that Djokovic would have won this AO....

In my opinion, Medvedev was very nervous in last year's AO Final, and now that he's won the US Open its unlikely that he'd suffer from such extreme nervousness and tentativeness in an AO Final.
We'll never know, but just as we can never prove that Monica Seles would have won more slams than Graf, we can never prove that Djokovic would have won more than 20 slams.
he is 34 yeas old. hes got years left to win majors and after last year (one of the greatest ever) there was NO indication he was slowing down. if the majors all ban him this year (I think thats a real possibility - France has already indicated they are going to be woke too) then that changes the dynamic. is it true that Novak is banned from Australia for the next 3 years?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2022, 09:09 AM
 
2,066 posts, read 611,667 times
Reputation: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldsm0bile View Post
he is 34 yeas old. hes got years left to win majors and after last year (one of the greatest ever) there was NO indication he was slowing down. if the majors all ban him this year (I think thats a real possibility - France has already indicated they are going to be woke too) then that changes the dynamic. is it true that Novak is banned from Australia for the next 3 years?

Maria Sharapova is the same age and she retired 2 years ago. So I think maybe Novak is at the age where he should be retiring soon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2022, 09:50 AM
 
455 posts, read 150,982 times
Reputation: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Maria Sharapova is the same age and she retired 2 years ago. So I think maybe Novak is at the age where he should be retiring soon.
yet he just had one of the greatest seasons in the history of pro tennis. to me that would indicate he is not even close to calling it quits, nor should he.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2022, 06:32 PM
 
Location: NSW
3,250 posts, read 2,492,776 times
Reputation: 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
Oh boy - Alcaraz vs Berrettini coming up in round 3 at Australian Open. Should be a good one!
It lived up to it’s billing!
This young new Spaniard is definitely the real deal.
Berrettini slightly too much experience at the end.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2022, 06:35 PM
 
Location: NSW
3,250 posts, read 2,492,776 times
Reputation: 1166
Naomi Osaka, the defending women’s champion is out.
Not totally surprising due to her lack of match practice.
But she is always dangerous on hard courts, and a brilliant ball striker.
Anasimova will now meet Barty in the 4th Round.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2022, 07:06 PM
 
2,066 posts, read 611,667 times
Reputation: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Naomi Osaka, the defending women’s champion is out.
Not totally surprising due to her lack of match practice.
But she is always dangerous on hard courts, and a brilliant ball striker.
Anasimova will now meet Barty in the 4th Round.
I’m really amazed how many top seeds in the women’s side have already been eliminated in the early rounds. Funny how they all can cruise through the finals in a regular WTA tournament, but in the AO, they can’t make it past the second round. Quite shocking!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2022, 12:57 PM
 
135 posts, read 59,139 times
Reputation: 239
Tsitsipas v Paire match was pretty fun. Benoit is an interesting character and sure had a lively cheering section. Tsitsipas is my absolute favorite, always so entertaining to watch. And always some drama haha. Dad was apparently coaching from the stands as usual. Although sometimes some of the stuff they consider "coaching" I swear is just being an expressive Greek spectator.

Sabalenka's got her serve back (for the most part.) Before her round 3 match commentators had me freaking out she wouldn't make it through.

Medvedev is looking impressive of course. Gosh he does stand sooo far back from the baseline to return serves! If someone can beat him to win this Australian Open who do you think it would most likely be??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2022, 08:07 AM
 
363 posts, read 249,307 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
Tsitsipas v Paire match was pretty fun. Benoit is an interesting character and sure had a lively cheering section. Tsitsipas is my absolute favorite, always so entertaining to watch. And always some drama haha. Dad was apparently coaching from the stands as usual. Although sometimes some of the stuff they consider "coaching" I swear is just being an expressive Greek spectator.

Sabalenka's got her serve back (for the most part.) Before her round 3 match commentators had me freaking out she wouldn't make it through.

Medvedev is looking impressive of course. Gosh he does stand sooo far back from the baseline to return serves! If someone can beat him to win this Australian Open who do you think it would most likely be??

What are the appropriate strategies for this? More underhanded serves? More slice serves? More drop shots on the third shot? Use Federer short slice?

I am going to pick a Canadian. Shapovalov or Felix
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top