Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2022, 05:48 PM

3,360 posts, read 1,326,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caj727 View Post
Always worth looking at a legitimate underdog to win in the womens majors. I have a futures wager riding on Sabalenka, because of how long the odds were as a premiere player. It was due to her poor play, particularly leading up to the Australian Open. The women are too erractic. There isn’t a better sport to take a stab on a “long shot”. It usually works out that way. But it’s a matter though still of figuring out which one.
Sabalenka has been playing rather well in the AO. A couple of choppy starts on a few matches, but managed to find her rhythm and kick butt at her matches. Though, I personally dislike her. She has that evil scary look on the court that I don't like, she lacks sportsmanship, and that scream!!! Ugh, drives me nuts! Can we please tone the grunting down?

But yeah, these women are very inconsistent! Even Emma Raducanu has been absolutely atrocious since her historic win at the US Open last year. When you see how she plays now, it makes you scratch your head wondering how she even won that grand slam!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 12:54 PM

361 posts, read 252,533 times
Chalk it up to maturity? Or maybe his recent marriage.
Quote:
Gael Monfils is playing the best tennis of his life. What a resurgence.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:28 PM

489 posts, read 316,892 times
Cressy gave Medvedev a run for his money and showed that serve and volley is a useful strategy against Medvedev. Cressy was calm, cool, and collected. Medvedev was mouthy and irritable. Commentators were clutching their pearls and I agree a couple of the things he said were pretty rude but let's be real Medvedev is more entertaining as a villain, I like when he lets out his nasty little attitude.

Old 01-24-2022, 06:37 PM

The way the women's matches are going, I'm seeing Barty as the AO champ of 2022. I just can't see any of the remainder players in the QFs being able to beat her. The thing is, she's like the ONLY female tennis players that plays very consistently... well, if you don't count her pathetic loss in last year's US Open against Rogers. Everyone is entitled to a bad day every now and then.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:57 AM

10,415 posts, read 4,111,591 times
Quote:
Gael Monfils is playing the best tennis of his life. What a resurgence. He of course was never in the class of the Big 3, even at his previous peak. But he’s well worth considering as a potential upset winner of his quadrant, even over Nadal. I think he will beat Berrettini next round.

It’s amazing how bad some of these players look and appear better suited for the Challenger Tour than an ATP Tour, only to discover the Fountain of Youth. Cilic is another the past couple of majors who has shown me something after I labeled him a bum for years. Dmitrov in the last few years is another.
I've seen Monfils play like this before, he even led Federer 2-sets-to-love at the 2014 US Open, but I give him no chance of beating Nadal, because its one of the most lopsided match-ups of Nadal's career, Nadal leads Monfils 14-2, and the only wins Monfils had were both at Doha (when Nadal is traditionally underdone because its the first event of the year). So if Monfils was to beat Berrettini, it would give Nadal the luckiest Semi-Final draw ever!

Old 01-25-2022, 09:23 AM

Wow, really bummed by Shapovalov's loss yesterday. I really thought he was going to make it...

Old 01-25-2022, 10:19 AM

Monfils sure is an expert at shooting himself in the foot.
It was a really bad start to the 5th Set, after he had won the 3rd and 4th Sets.
But we often see players come back and then fall short.

Pretty strange how easy it was for Monfils to break Berrettini multiple times, once in he 3rd Set and twice in the 4th Set.
I think Nadal will beat Berrettini, especially with Berrettini's backhand being so weak and Nadal being a master of targeting that wing....
And Nadal is a much better returner than Monfils too, so should break serve enough.

Nadal looked really weak and sick in the Denis match, but took some stomach tablets and gradually got it together in the 5th Set.
A few years ago Nadal's doctor said he had a problem with hot and humid conditions, so no surprise he suffered in this hot day match.
Maybe he'll play the night session in his SF with Berrettini....

Last edited by MAGAalot; 01-25-2022 at 10:29 AM..

Old 01-25-2022, 11:19 AM

1,149 posts, read 437,361 times
Shapovalov not too pleased after the match with the break times Nadal received in the match, most notably when an apparent stomach ailment hindered Nadal after he went up 2 sets to none.

Old 01-26-2022, 07:40 AM

Denis interrupted Nadal's serve (when the shot clock was at 8) and called the chair umpire "corrupt".
The commentators then showed on the screen that Denis was only 2 seconds faster than Nadal between service points, so Denis had no reason to complain.
As for the stomach ailment, is Nadal not allowed to be sick?
This Denis guy is a psycho, and hopefully will be banned.

Old 01-26-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Denis interrupted Nadal's serve (when the shot clock was at 8) and called the chair umpire "corrupt".
The commentators then showed on the screen that Denis was only 2 seconds faster than Nadal between service points, so Denis had no reason to complain.
As for the stomach ailment, is Nadal not allowed to be sick?
This Denis guy is a psycho, and hopefully will be banned.

This seems to happen a lot of men's tennis, which is why I usually don't watch it much. Men like to whine, moan and throw hissy fits. In female tennis, the women do throw tantrums but it doesn't happen nearly as frequently as male tennis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports