Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 08:42 AM

6,557 posts, read 4,181,675 times

Advertisements

This is ridiculous. My understanding is Australia is the only country in the world with rules like this. Not that it matters, but I will never visit Australia again, nor watch the Australian Open. He abided by the rules, was given clearance to enter the country by the Victorian government and should be allowed to play, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2022, 10:24 AM

10,557 posts, read 4,198,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
It's now about 5 AM Central time in the U.S. on Sunday Jan 16, 2022.

About an hour ago I read this:

https://sports.yahoo.com/novak-djoko...073424821.html

Djokovic's second appeal has been denied in court, and he will be leaving Australia and not playing in the 2022 Australian Open.

There was some previous speculation that if this happened that he wouldn't be able to play in this tournament for three years.

The link above doesn't address that.
Well he probably won't be vaccinated next year anyway, so even if they don't give him a 3 year ban, he's most likely not playing in future.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:26 AM

10,557 posts, read 4,198,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
This is ridiculous. My understanding is Australia is the only country in the world with rules like this. Not that it matters, but I will never visit Australia again, nor watch the Australian Open. He abided by the rules, was given clearance to enter the country by the Victorian government and should be allowed to play, period.
Still, he could do jail time in Serbia, or be fined.... and jail would be the most appropriate sanction, seeing as a fine is meaningless to him....
Serbia's Prime Minister Ana Brnabic said on Tuesday tennis star Novak Djokovic could face sanctions if it were found he had attended a Belgrade Tennis Association event the day after testing positive to COVID-19.
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/djokovic...5-57b2dc40a0cc

Old 01-16-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Still, he could do jail time in Serbia, or be fined.... and jail would be the most appropriate sanction, seeing as a fine is meaningless to him....
Serbia's Prime Minister Ana Brnabic said on Tuesday tennis star Novak Djokovic could face sanctions if it were found he had attended a Belgrade Tennis Association event the day after testing positive to COVID-19.
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/djokovic...5-57b2dc40a0cc
No way Serbia imprisons their biggest sports celebrity..

Old 01-16-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldsm0bile View Post
i honestly wont be surprised if the other three major nations ban Djokovic as well. they kind of have to, dont they? they cant let Australia out-do them can they? futhermore i wonder how the regular events treat Novak going forward? maybe he will be banned for good if he does do what the covidians tell him to do? what a sad situation this is. he is still really in his prime andi n theory could win many more majors yet still.
I bet you the other majors welcome him with open arms.

Old 01-16-2022, 04:00 PM

3,743 posts, read 2,951,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldsm0bile View Post
as you should (never travel there again). hit these covidians where it hurts. i am confused by the behavior there i always thought Australia to be one of the more conservative nations in the Angloshpere. i guess i was wrong about that.
Agreed.
This current government are all about political gamesmanship, and at the expense of a tennis player, and of course it helps their cause that Novak Djokovic is also Number 1, the defending 9 time champion, and high profile.
This whole thing has been a circus in the way it was handled.
A total distraction from the fact that Round 1 begins today, and we can actually finally focus on the tennis.

Old 01-17-2022, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Agreed.
This current government are all about political gamesmanship, and at the expense of a tennis player, and of course it helps their cause that Novak Djokovic is also Number 1, the defending 9 time champion, and high profile.
This whole thing has been a circus in the way it was handled.
A total distraction from the fact that Round 1 begins today, and we can actually finally focus on the tennis.
Plus there will be no legitimacy whatsoever to the winner since the world’s #1 player wasn’t allowed in the tournament.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:10 AM

11,955 posts, read 9,029,344 times
First his mother was ranting about the Australian authorities "torturing" Djokovic, then his father was calling his deportation an "assassination attempt", and claiming that the decision against him was racially motivated because they are Serbs. His parents both sound bonkers, and I'd say that the nut doesn't fall far from the tree.

The Australian Open officials made it clear from the start that all players need to be vaccinated, regardless of the their nationality, religion or genetic background - wild claims about bigotry from the Djokovic camp notwithstanding. In fact, they are also requiring all spectators be vaccinated - no doubt, they don't want the tourney to be a super-spreader event..

Djokovic, whether due to political passions or misguided medical views, wants to be an anti-vax warrior and say that no one can make him get the vaccine. Fine, then he doesn't play in tournaments requiring it for entry. It should be very simple.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
First his mother was ranting about the Australian authorities "torturing" Djokovic, then his father was calling his deportation an "assassination attempt", and claiming that the decision against him was racially motivated because they are Serbs. His parents both sound bonkers, and I'd say that the nut doesn't fall far from the tree.

The Australian Open officials made it clear from the start that all players need to be vaccinated, regardless of the their nationality, religion or genetic background - wild claims about bigotry from the Djokovic camp notwithstanding. In fact, they are also requiring all spectators be vaccinated - no doubt, they don't want the tourney to be a super-spreader event..

Djokovic, whether due to political passions or misguided medical views, wants to be an anti-vax warrior and say that no one can make him get the vaccine. Fine, then he doesn't play in tournaments requiring it for entry. It should be very simple.
Novak travelled to Melbourne after he was given permission by the Victorian government to enter the country. My understanding is that he satisfied the entry requirement since he was allowed a medical exemption since he had recently had Covid.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post

The alleged hotel conditions (that I read about) to which Djokovic was subjected sound horrific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports