U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2022, 09:47 AM
 
456 posts, read 151,813 times
Reputation: 352

Advertisements

donwhill skiers are just warriors. there are no cowards in that sport. very fascinating to see them fly down an mountain of ice at 70mph. probably one of my favorite events in winter olympics
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2022, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Etobicoke
907 posts, read 405,954 times
Reputation: 554
Did anyone noticed that during the medal ceremonies the athletes would only show one side of the medal?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2022, 08:06 PM
 
22,847 posts, read 14,437,857 times
Reputation: 38301
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldsm0bile View Post
donwhill skiers are just warriors. there are no cowards in that sport. very fascinating to see them fly down an mountain of ice at 70mph. probably one of my favorite events in winter olympics
70 mph is probably average speed. They get into the 90s on the steepest sections. From years of skiing with a GPS cell phone in my pocket, I rarely break 30 mph. I can’t imagine 90.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2022, 06:33 AM
 
456 posts, read 151,813 times
Reputation: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
70 mph is probably average speed. They get into the 90s on the steepest sections. From years of skiing with a GPS cell phone in my pocket, I rarely break 30 mph. I can’t imagine 90.
thats starting at a young age there - the hand-eye thing. like a lot of PGA pros start when they are young or baseball. my BIL told me that your hand-eye coordination is more in-born if you start before the age of 6 or something, cant remember exactly. plus they are just fearless.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2022, 06:57 AM
 
Location: The DMV
5,961 posts, read 9,995,897 times
Reputation: 7432
That mixed snowboard cross was pretty exciting. As a skiier, this may now be my favorite snowboard event. I love the staggered start of the 2nd team member.

Congrats to Lindsey Jacobellis and Nick Baumgartner. At 36 and 40, it was like parents beating out the kids. LOL.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2022, 08:38 AM
 
Location: City Data Land
17,128 posts, read 11,723,577 times
Reputation: 32969
This is the first year I haven't watched and I'm 45. NBC made it too difficult. They would say, "Next up, XYZ competition," then they would show something else. Or they would show nothing but preliminary competitions instead of finals for all of them. How many swimming heats do we need to watch?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2022, 09:22 AM
mlb
 
Location: North Monterey County
4,971 posts, read 4,034,904 times
Reputation: 7903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This is the first year I haven't watched and I'm 45. NBC made it too difficult. They would say, "Next up, XYZ competition," then they would show something else. Or they would show nothing but preliminary competitions instead of finals for all of them. How many swimming heats do we need to watch?
It’s called a teaser. And I hate them as well.

I have friends in Canada who recommend watching on the CBC.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2022, 02:47 PM
 
Location: NW Indiana
43,351 posts, read 18,333,267 times
Reputation: 111506
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
That mixed snowboard cross was pretty exciting. As a skiier, this may now be my favorite snowboard event. I love the staggered start of the 2nd team member.

Congrats to Lindsey Jacobellis and Nick Baumgartner. At 36 and 40, it was like parents beating out the kids. LOL.
I agree. Last night's snowboard team competition was super exciting. I was out of breath by the time Lindsey finished that last run! Very fun to watch, and especially so since the USA won gold.

.
__________________
My posts as a Moderator will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS And check this out: FAQ
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
___________________________
~ Life's a gift. Don't waste it. ~
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2022, 02:51 PM
 
456 posts, read 151,813 times
Reputation: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
I agree. Last night's snowboard team competition was super exciting. I was out of breath by the time Lindsey finished that last run! Very fun to watch, and especially so since the USA won gold.

.
It gave me goosebumps for sure. best moment so far for me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2022, 02:52 PM
 
Location: NW Indiana
43,351 posts, read 18,333,267 times
Reputation: 111506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
Did anyone noticed that during the medal ceremonies the athletes would only show one side of the medal?
I have not noticed that. They probably just hold up the side that's facing out when the medal is placed on them. If you want to see what both sides of the medal look like, as well as an explanation of the design, here you go: https://olympics.com/ioc/news/beijin...edals-revealed.

.
__________________
My posts as a Moderator will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS And check this out: FAQ
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
___________________________
~ Life's a gift. Don't waste it. ~
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top