U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 09:47 AM

456 posts, read 151,813 times

Advertisements

donwhill skiers are just warriors. there are no cowards in that sport. very fascinating to see them fly down an mountain of ice at 70mph. probably one of my favorite events in winter olympics
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2022, 04:41 PM

907 posts, read 405,954 times
Did anyone noticed that during the medal ceremonies the athletes would only show one side of the medal?

Old 02-11-2022, 08:06 PM

22,847 posts, read 14,437,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldsm0bile View Post
donwhill skiers are just warriors. there are no cowards in that sport. very fascinating to see them fly down an mountain of ice at 70mph. probably one of my favorite events in winter olympics
70 mph is probably average speed. They get into the 90s on the steepest sections. From years of skiing with a GPS cell phone in my pocket, I rarely break 30 mph. I can’t imagine 90.

Old 02-12-2022, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
70 mph is probably average speed. They get into the 90s on the steepest sections. From years of skiing with a GPS cell phone in my pocket, I rarely break 30 mph. I can’t imagine 90.
thats starting at a young age there - the hand-eye thing. like a lot of PGA pros start when they are young or baseball. my BIL told me that your hand-eye coordination is more in-born if you start before the age of 6 or something, cant remember exactly. plus they are just fearless.

Old 02-12-2022, 06:57 AM

5,961 posts, read 9,995,897 times
That mixed snowboard cross was pretty exciting. As a skiier, this may now be my favorite snowboard event. I love the staggered start of the 2nd team member.

Congrats to Lindsey Jacobellis and Nick Baumgartner. At 36 and 40, it was like parents beating out the kids. LOL.

Old 02-12-2022, 08:38 AM

17,128 posts, read 11,723,577 times
This is the first year I haven't watched and I'm 45. NBC made it too difficult. They would say, "Next up, XYZ competition," then they would show something else. Or they would show nothing but preliminary competitions instead of finals for all of them. How many swimming heats do we need to watch?

Old 02-12-2022, 09:22 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,034,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This is the first year I haven't watched and I'm 45. NBC made it too difficult. They would say, "Next up, XYZ competition," then they would show something else. Or they would show nothing but preliminary competitions instead of finals for all of them. How many swimming heats do we need to watch?
It’s called a teaser. And I hate them as well.

I have friends in Canada who recommend watching on the CBC.

Old 02-12-2022, 02:47 PM

43,351 posts, read 18,333,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
That mixed snowboard cross was pretty exciting. As a skiier, this may now be my favorite snowboard event. I love the staggered start of the 2nd team member.

Congrats to Lindsey Jacobellis and Nick Baumgartner. At 36 and 40, it was like parents beating out the kids. LOL.
I agree. Last night's snowboard team competition was super exciting. I was out of breath by the time Lindsey finished that last run! Very fun to watch, and especially so since the USA won gold.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-12-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
I agree. Last night's snowboard team competition was super exciting. I was out of breath by the time Lindsey finished that last run! Very fun to watch, and especially so since the USA won gold.

It gave me goosebumps for sure. best moment so far for me.

Old 02-12-2022, 02:52 PM

43,351 posts, read 18,333,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
Did anyone noticed that during the medal ceremonies the athletes would only show one side of the medal?
I have not noticed that. They probably just hold up the side that's facing out when the medal is placed on them. If you want to see what both sides of the medal look like, as well as an explanation of the design, here you go: https://olympics.com/ioc/news/beijin...edals-revealed.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports