Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 02:20 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,431,964 times

Advertisements

I don't golf much anymore, but caddied all through High School and College at a high end (held PGA Events) Golf Club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic1212 View Post
Hi all, golf newbs here! Not sure if this is going in the best spot for this post as I couldn't find a golf subforum.

So, we're just starting golf, we're new empty nesters and feel this is a great activity to embark upon. Quite pricey for sure, but we'll stay at the beginner level or maybe on the practice range for quite some time.
I'm confused on what we really need to get started. The course we'll be at is very casual (no special dress code aka collars not required).

A long time ago we'd go to the Michael Jordan Driving Range and had a blast. That was when we were young and a bucket of balls and a beer was a treat of a night out. We went all the time, we bought each of us a driver and a glove. I can't remember why I used a glove (not that I was a pro) but I think I was getting callouses on my hand? Who knows, it was a long time ago.
THe glove helps keep a grip on the club especially when you sweat.

Quote:
Now I think we need a sport that involves some muscle both body and mind including having a purpose other than work. It also looks like it would be a fun Saturday activity.

Anyway, I sat and observed a little to get a feel for the general vibe at the course. The pro shop people were casual and friendly. We hike, do very mild trailrunning and cycling, occasional tennis so the clothes I have are from those sports. BUT most of the ladies had on a golf skirt or men's style shorts (I'm assuming these are golf shorts?). Of note, we're in the Phoenix area so it gets HOT. I have tennis tank tops (sleeveless), typical Nike running shorts and running leggings. I feel I need to get new clothes for this sport because I do not think these will fly whatsoever on the course even though it's very casual.
The leggings, if a solid color, might fly. No to the Nike running shorts. The men's style shorts are golf shorts, basically, though for men, they're just shorts. If the tennis tanks are nice, they might be fine. But, I typically air on teh side of caution and wear a collared shirt, whether its required or not.
Quote:
The other question is shoes. I have a variety of Hoka running and trail running shoes and a pair of Cloud running shoes. Since it was mostly men, it seemed they wore golf shoes with little tiny rubber nubs on the bottom but not very high. The women were hard to tell because there were so few and they weren't very close up, it looked like they had regular running type shoes.
Those shoes are appropriate, but if you get serious, you might get golf shoes, which will anchor your feet a bit better. There was a time when golf shoes were identifiable a mile away (they all looked like saddle shoes.) But, there are more and more that look like a generic athletic or casual dress shoe if you can't see the bottom of them.
Quote:
And ladies... do you wear a sports bra? I saw on a blog they said it's a must, but really?? I'm trying to think about this one, there's no running after a ball, there's nothing I don't think I would be physically doing that would require support? Hmm, maybe I'm missing something, if I am, I'm all ears.
A common complaint from women is swinging 'around' their upper torso anatomy. I'd certainly assume that if you're even moderately endowed in that area, you want to wear one for compression and minimizing movement. But, I'm a dude. FWIW, one of the best women at the club I worked at was a breast cancer survivor. She didn't wear her prosthesis when she golfed.
Quote:
Then which accessories do we need? Golf bag? What kind of bags are the best and what do you recommend for women?
Absolutely, you need a bag. There are some oriented towards women but really, it's like ascribing gender to a bath towel. THe best bags are and were the Ping Hoofer lines. However, if you never intend to carry the bag when you golf, either taking a cart or using a pushcart, it matters less. I would avoid a single backpack strap. While they feel nice in the store, when you're actually carrying your bag, it's an annoyance to put it on, you want to just put it on one shoulder. A two strap setup (two separate straps) will allow you to backpack carry it if you wish, or not.

Quote:
What are the best brands in clubs? HELP!!
Lots of good ones. Fit is most important. Probably want cavity back irons if your new, but whatever. Callaway, Titelist, Mizuno, Ping, Taylor Made are big brands that all make good clubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 04:13 PM

17 posts, read 14,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I don't golf much anymore, but caddied all through High School and College at a high end (held PGA Events) Golf Club.

THe glove helps keep a grip on the club especially when you sweat.

The leggings, if a solid color, might fly. No to the Nike running shorts. The men's style shorts are golf shorts, basically, though for men, they're just shorts. If the tennis tanks are nice, they might be fine. But, I typically air on teh side of caution and wear a collared shirt, whether its required or not.

Those shoes are appropriate, but if you get serious, you might get golf shoes, which will anchor your feet a bit better. There was a time when golf shoes were identifiable a mile away (they all looked like saddle shoes.) But, there are more and more that look like a generic athletic or casual dress shoe if you can't see the bottom of them.
A common complaint from women is swinging 'around' their upper torso anatomy. I'd certainly assume that if you're even moderately endowed in that area, you want to wear one for compression and minimizing movement. But, I'm a dude. FWIW, one of the best women at the club I worked at was a breast cancer survivor. She didn't wear her prosthesis when she golfed.
Absolutely, you need a bag. There are some oriented towards women but really, it's like ascribing gender to a bath towel. THe best bags are and were the Ping Hoofer lines. However, if you never intend to carry the bag when you golf, either taking a cart or using a pushcart, it matters less. I would avoid a single backpack strap. While they feel nice in the store, when you're actually carrying your bag, it's an annoyance to put it on, you want to just put it on one shoulder. A two strap setup (two separate straps) will allow you to backpack carry it if you wish, or not.

Lots of good ones. Fit is most important. Probably want cavity back irons if your new, but whatever. Callaway, Titelist, Mizuno, Ping, Taylor Made are big brands that all make good clubs.

Thanks that's great insight!! You're right, the golf shoes are hard to spot. I stared at a lot of feet, many too hard to tell from an untrained eye.

Ahh the one strap bag, I pictured myself with that one thinking the two strap would be too much on me after seeing someone with the two-strap situation which looked a little cumbersome. My thoughts on that were back in the old high school days where you only wore your backpack with ONE strap. Haha I can't think of the name of that movie now, where Channing Tatum was one strappin' it and he was no longer cool. You make an excellent point. Considering the weight, that might be too much for one shoulder to bare.

Old 02-25-2022, 05:23 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,837,174 times
OP~
It sounds like you're getting some good golf tips regarding the things you may need.

Get a book on golf etiquette. You'll want to know these before you're on a course.

Tip~ Since you're in the Phoenix area, you're well aware of the weather trends there. And, since you're a hiker, you know the importance of hydration. Golf is no different. The "Greens fees" are different depending upon the season. (Summer= lower, Winter= higher.) So, to extend this "golfing season" bring along a towel (dish sized) and dunk it in each water hazard, then drape it around your neck. By the time the next water hazard shows it, it'll be dry anyway.

The last thing I'd mention, is to abstain from alcohol (or other drugs.) You won't golf better with them, and you might look foolish out there. Besides, this will increase your level of risk, due to exposure.

What I use~

Ball..............Titleist (90 compression)

Clubs............Ping

Bag..............Ping

Shoes..........Etonic

Shirt............White w/alligator (Lacoste)

Long pants (always.) Shorts belong on the tennis courts.

Keep your head down when you come thru, and always address the label of your ball when driving. It'll help you hit the ball straighter, as the internal windings are lined up vertically.

Old 02-25-2022, 06:22 PM

17,302 posts, read 22,039,209 times
There is a ton of bad info on here............go take a lesson and in an hour you will be heading in the right direction.

The bag brand will make absolutely ZERO difference in your game.

Shorts/pants.........are you kidding me? I wear pants when its cold and that is less than 5x a year.

Address the ball when driving.............the internal windings are vertical? Seriously are you out of your mind?

Old 02-25-2022, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
OP~
It sounds like you're getting some good golf tips regarding the things you may need.

Get a book on golf etiquette. You'll want to know these before you're on a course.

Tip~ Since you're in the Phoenix area, you're well aware of the weather trends there. And, since you're a hiker, you know the importance of hydration. Golf is no different. The "Greens fees" are different depending upon the season. (Summer= lower, Winter= higher.) So, to extend this "golfing season" bring along a towel (dish sized) and dunk it in each water hazard, then drape it around your neck. By the time the next water hazard shows it, it'll be dry anyway.

The last thing I'd mention, is to abstain from alcohol (or other drugs.) You won't golf better with them, and you might look foolish out there. Besides, this will increase your level of risk, due to exposure.

What I use~

Clubs............Ping

Bag..............Ping

Shoes..........Etonic

Keep your head down when you come thru, and always address the label of your ball when driving. It'll help you hit the ball straighter, as the internal windings are lined up vertically.

For sure, hydration is key as well as the right summer gear. We take the heat here really well, it's a sport in and of itself!

Old 02-25-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
There is a ton of bad info on here............go take a lesson and in an hour you will be heading in the right direction.

The bag brand will make absolutely ZERO difference in your game.

Shorts/pants.........are you kidding me? I wear pants when its cold and that is less than 5x a year.

Address the ball when driving.............the internal windings are vertical? Seriously are you out of your mind?
Yes, definitely a lesson is the right way to go. Planning a lesson for the practice range then hoping they do a lesson for the course when the time is right for that.

Old 02-25-2022, 06:40 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
OP~

What I use~

Clubs............Ping

Bag..............Ping

Shoes..........Etonic

Don't use the water hazard to wet your towel. On most courses it is reclaimed water.

Old 02-28-2022, 07:50 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Quote:
Thanks that's great insight!! You're right, the golf shoes are hard to spot. I stared at a lot of feet, many too hard to tell from an untrained eye.

Ahh the one strap bag, I pictured myself with that one thinking the two strap would be too much on me after seeing someone with the two-strap situation which looked a little cumbersome. My thoughts on that were back in the old high school days where you only wore your backpack with ONE strap. Haha I can't think of the name of that movie now, where Channing Tatum was one strappin' it and he was no longer cool. You make an excellent point. Considering the weight, that might be too much for one shoulder to bare.
Most bags come with dual-strap these days. And you might as well just have that - if you need to, you can just choose to not use the double-strap. I'm an avid walker on the course, and I only will put the 2nd strap on when I'm walking longer distances (after my drive or between holes). But when I look for a bag, a double strap is not even a consideration - it's expected.

You asked about riding/walking. That's personal preference. I think if you want to walk you'll need to think about if you want to carry, or be part of the "push-cart mafia". Push carts have become very popular as they allow you to walk and carry more things without having to carry it all (and can affect your lower back as the day goes on). I would recommend you look at Clickgear as they are really nice. They are not "cheap" to begin with ($300+). But - if you play often, it'll pay for itself in a few months compared to riding. Here on the east coast - a cart is about $25 for 18 holes. So having a push cart will pay for itself in about a dozen rounds. You can also get a bunch of accessories for your push-cart (umbrella attachments, cup/tumbler holders, coolers, etc.).

If you go with a push-cart, then you have more options in terms of the bag. As in you can also look a the options of a "cart bag". They are bigger and heavier, but have more room for clubs and other things (some will not even come with a stand). For those of us that walk more, we tend to go with more lightweight bags that have the stands. They tend to be pricier (relatively speaking in terms of storage space) due to the lightweight materials and extra features. And honestly - depending on how often you play, you may need to replace it more often. Just something to think about.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:47 AM

59,037 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Most courses require a bag of clubs for each golfer. Being in the Phoenix area you will be able to get a bag and good clubs cheap if you don't mind used. Look on Craigslist or Nextdoor. If you live near a golf community, go to the course and look at the bulletin board. Don't skimp on shoes. I prefer Skechers. They sell golf shoes at their stores. Buy good balls, not great but good. Low end Titleist are fine. Don't forget the tees!

Always use a glove. Footjoy has a decently priced 2 pack. I don't know a thing about women's clothes so I can't help you there.

For clubs stay with a name brand. I only use Callaway clubs and use a Callaway bag.

Have fun and good luck!
"Always use a glove."

To each their OWN.

Freddie Couples doesn't wear one, and he's done OK.

I don't wear one either.

Take lessens BEFORE you start to play. It is much harder to correct a mistake. Especially if you don't know how and what you are doing wrong.

Buy cheap stuff FIRST. You might decide you don't like golf after all.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:02 AM

6,750 posts, read 3,367,193 times
For a new player there isn't a need to get a precise club fitting because the swing will change as they get better. Most important is to have the right length and the right flex in the shaft. Look for a game-improvement kind of club as they're easier to hit and get the ball in the air. Brand is not that important.

Set makeup should be 6-SW, a hybrid or two, a fairway wood or two, driver & putter. Forget about long irons for the time being.

Any kind of lightweight bag that's big enough to hold a full set of clubs will be good. Dual straps if you walk, a cart bag if you ride.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get started. Just look for the right kind of gear that fits you and is right for your level of play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports