Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 12:29 PM

10,106 posts, read 1,023,841 times

Advertisements

It was a great race - I enjoyed watching the preshow - I loved all the hats.
Always nice when the underdog wins!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 12:53 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
OMG, this article says Rich Strike is the first claimed horse to every win the Derby!

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...kentucky-derby

What a story!
This article says that Seabiscuit was entered into a claiming auction for $6,000 and no one wanted him!

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Seabiscuit QUOTE from link, my italics:

" From then through November he made 35 starts and wound up with the unimpressive record of five wins while failing to place in 18 races and earning only $12,510. His three-year-old season was equally inauspicious. It was no surprise, therefore, that by August 1936—at the end of the Saratoga (New York) meet and after over 40 uninspired races spread over two years—Seabiscuit’s owners had given up and entered him in a claiming race for $6,000. He won the event only to suffer the indignity of not being claimed by anyone."

[end quote]

And, btw, according to this, https://horseyhooves.com/seabiscuit-facts/ "During his career, Seabiscuit earned $437,730. Today, this would be worth over $8 million." [end quote, my bold]

Old 05-08-2022, 01:31 PM

602 posts, read 313,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
It was a great race - I enjoyed watching the preshow - I loved all the hats.
Always nice when the underdog wins!

I also like underdogs....I bet the Derby looking for a longshot to light up the board...but I don't wager much as I don't handicap the race....

For example I decided to use for my longshot pick, the #19 horse....ZOZOS....I didn't know anything about the horse but I chose him to use in a exacta wheel due to his jockey Manuel Franco, who rides here in NY and he won the 2020 Belmont Stakes riding Tiz the Law....the $1.00 exacta wheel cost only $38.00...

I didn't watch the race but was glad that an even longer shot bomb won !! The $2 exacta paid $4,101.20 with Epicenter 2nd....I can only dream of what that payoff would have been if ZOZOS would have come in 2nd to Rich Strike !

Other payoffs
A $2 bet on Rich Strike would have paid out $163.60. Rich Strike's 80-1 odds made the payouts for exacta, trifecta and superfecta bets remarkably high.

An exacta bet with Rich Strike and Epicenter would have paid out $4,101.20 if you placed $2 on the slip.

A trifecta including Rich Strike, Epicenter and Zandon would have paid out $14,870.70 and a superfecta with those three horses and fourth-place finisher Simplification would have produced a $321,500.10 payout.

Rich Strike will now get ready to go after the next leg of the Triple Crown at the Preakness Stakes two weeks from now at Pimlico Race Course.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...lay-highlights

Old 05-08-2022, 02:49 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Rich Strike got a jaw-dropping ride, and you ought to see the overhead view.
Agreed. Simply amazing.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/08/kentuc...verhead-video/

Old 05-08-2022, 04:11 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Man, that was wild!

I wonder what Bob Baffert is thinking right now.

Old 05-08-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Man, that was wild!

I wonder what Bob Baffert is thinking right now.
“What’s that horse on?”

Old 05-08-2022, 06:39 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
“What’s that horse on?”

Yeah, it's funny.

And yet, I wonder about suspicious heart attacks in horses. "In all, Baffert’s horses have failed 30 drug tests over four decades, including five in a recent 13-month period."

Old 05-08-2022, 07:04 PM

602 posts, read 313,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Yeah, it's funny.

And yet, I wonder about suspicious heart attacks in horses. "In all, Baffert’s horses have failed 30 drug tests over four decades, including five in a recent 13-month period."
He's banned from stepping foot on the grounds of The Derby along with all other Churchill Downs properties for 2 years ...
___
Shortly after winning the 2021 Kentucky Derby, Medina Spirit tested positive for the banned steroid betamethasone. While Baffert initially denied ever administering the drug, a subsequent investigation revealed the substance was found in an ointment applied to the horse.

Following the confirmation of a positive drug test in June 2021, Baffert was banned from all Churchill Downs properties for two years—a punishment that will expire following the 2023 Spring Meet. The trainer was also hit with a 90-day suspension, which precludes him from entering any of the Triple Crown races this year.

Medina Spirit died on the track following a workout at Santa Anita Park in California last December.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/why-b...erby-explained

Old 05-08-2022, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B Kind View Post
He's banned from stepping foot on the grounds of The Derby along with all other Churchill Downs properties for 2 years ...
___
Shortly after winning the 2021 Kentucky Derby, Medina Spirit tested positive for the banned steroid betamethasone. While Baffert initially denied ever administering the drug, a subsequent investigation revealed the substance was found in an ointment applied to the horse.

Following the confirmation of a positive drug test in June 2021, Baffert was banned from all Churchill Downs properties for two years—a punishment that will expire following the 2023 Spring Meet. The trainer was also hit with a 90-day suspension, which precludes him from entering any of the Triple Crown races this year.

Medina Spirit died on the track following a workout at Santa Anita Park in California last December.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/why-b...erby-explained
He should be banned for life. Who will ever really trust him?

Old 05-08-2022, 08:23 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Thanks for posting the link to the overhead video. Credit to Sonny Leon on the incredible riding. It's a bit scary to watch him moving through the pack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports