Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 10:15 PM

3,234 posts, read 3,191,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The pony rider behaved totally inappropriately. They should sue him!
PETA to the rescue!

https://www.peta.org/media/news-rele...-derby-winner/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2022, 02:45 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Two of us disagree with you so you are wrong.

Ok, back to Rich Strike.

The horse was sure a bit bitey with that other horse after the race. That was rather entertaining too.

It certainly wasn't entertaining for the horse or the outrider who Rich Strike was biting. Ouch!!!

Old 05-10-2022, 07:35 AM

231 posts, read 113,209 times
It is a parimutuel system. Let me do my best to explain. This is why horse racing is by far te superior betting game over things like team sports.

The more bet on the winning combination the less that winning combination will pay. Considering that RICH STRIKE was considered the least likely winner prior to the race - this resulted in increased payouts for the winning combinations. But the more bet on the winning combination the less it would payout. Looking at the TRIFECTA pool it was $32 million total. After taking out the 20% takeout that leaves $26 million to be distributed to all the winners. A $1 winning trifecta paid $15,000. That indicates about 1,700 winning $1 tickets out of 32,000,000 $1 tickets placed. Adding another 100 $1 winning tickets would have reduced the payout somewhat. Quick math indicates TRIFECTA would have paid $14,400 for a dollar if someone added a $100 winning ticket. So that $100 winning TRIFECTA would have paid $1.4 million.

Eventually the law of diminishing returns kicks in. The more winning tickets the less each winning ticket pays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Question on the betting odds as I could not find anything about a 'maximum' payout and I am not familiar with Horse racing. There were some long odds due to Rich Strike winning, especially in the trifecta and super fecta. I heard it reported this morning that over $283 million was placed in bets.

If someone had placed a $100 wager on the trifecta (Rich Strike, Epicenter, Zandan) and the super trifecta (Rich Strike, Epicenter, Zandan, Simplification) would they actually have received payouts of $1.487 million and $32.15 million respectively?

Curious as to how this is handled from a mathematical perspective. Is there a betting limit? Is there a stated maximum payout limit? How does this work?

Old 05-10-2022, 08:12 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,202,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
That's Keen Ice. I pointed that out in post #31.

I remember him. He was only 3-24 but always raced in graded stakes races and always gave his all.
LOL I meant Rich Strike's own future stud fees will likely be close to $150k per live foal.

Keen Ice is currently at $7,500 per live foal

https://www.bloodhorse.com/stallion-...69987/keen-ice

But yes, that will likely go up a bit

Old 05-10-2022, 08:15 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Definitely a memorable Kentucky Derby.

Old 05-10-2022, 08:15 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,202,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call me Birdsler View Post
It is a parimutuel system. Let me do my best to explain. This is why horse racing is by far te superior betting game over things like team sports.

The more bet on the winning combination the less that winning combination will pay. Considering that RICH STRIKE was considered the least likely winner prior to the race - this resulted in increased payouts for the winning combinations. But the more bet on the winning combination the less it would payout. Looking at the TRIFECTA pool it was $32 million total. After taking out the 20% takeout that leaves $26 million to be distributed to all the winners. A $1 winning trifecta paid $15,000. That indicates about 1,700 winning $1 tickets out of 32,000,000 $1 tickets placed. Adding another 100 $1 winning tickets would have reduced the payout somewhat. Quick math indicates TRIFECTA would have paid $14,400 for a dollar if someone added a $100 winning ticket. So that $100 winning TRIFECTA would have paid $1.4 million.

Eventually the law of diminishing returns kicks in. The more winning tickets the less each winning ticket pays.
Just to add, for this race, the $1 superfecta paid out just over $321,000.

The $1 super high five paid out just over $740,000.

Old 05-10-2022, 10:01 AM

6,585 posts, read 4,968,631 times
I'm old enough to remember watching the 100th Derby as a kid - this one was AMAZING!! I have watched it over and over but cannot find the overhead with the notes they showed after the Derby.

I truly think there was a chunk of luck in there as well, when the field appeared to go wide and Rich Strike made his move.

Unbelievable! I won't forget this one ever.

<also, peta is nuts, as usual>

Old 05-10-2022, 10:06 AM

14,472 posts, read 12,095,136 times
It was a great race to watch. He switched into another gear, and started moving through the crowd like they were standing still. And they weren't standing still! This was not a race where everyone looked spent at the end.... everyone was still running. This horse was just *faster*.

I hope he keeps it up. He's already made the Triple Crown races more interesting, we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Old 05-10-2022, 10:19 AM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times
This isn't my sport, but I watched the replay over and over to see where that horse even came from. He was passing other horses in traffic at the end and then accelerating right by them, it was pretty cool. What's with the biting the other horses and acting like an entitled jerk after winning, lol. He was hyped up.

Old 05-10-2022, 10:22 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
This isn't my sport, but I watched the replay over and over to see where that horse even came from. He was passing other horses in traffic at the end and then accelerating right by them, it was pretty cool. What's with the biting the other horses and acting like an entitled jerk after winning, lol. He was hyped up.
Adolescent male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports