U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2022, 03:01 AM
 
4,641 posts, read 2,161,385 times
Reputation: 7005

Advertisements

I would make the argument that GORDIE HOWE was the greatest pure athlete of all time. In hockey he was the best in the world both on offense and defense. anl played competitively until 50 in a bruising contact sport. He was tougher than nails, and big enough that he could have any sport where size mattered.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2022, 03:21 PM
 
80,624 posts, read 108,714,708 times
Reputation: 17018
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I would make the argument that GORDIE HOWE was the greatest pure athlete of all time. In hockey he was the best in the world both on offense and defense. anl played competitively until 50 in a bruising contact sport. He was tougher than nails, and big enough that he could have any sport where size mattered.
Would you say athlete or greatest player of his sport? I ask that, because Bo's pure athleticism was special before the injury.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2022, 05:19 PM
 
Location: The DMV
6,182 posts, read 10,219,690 times
Reputation: 7779
When you look at the "greatest" - it's going to be very hard to compare candidates from different eras.

That said - the first name that comes to me is Jim Thorpe. He won Olympic gold medals in the event that gives the moniker the "Greatest Athlete". He also played in the NFL and MLB.

If we take into both genders - then you'd have to look at Babe Didrikson Zaharias as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2022, 12:22 AM
 
4,641 posts, read 2,161,385 times
Reputation: 7005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Would you say athlete or greatest player of his sport? I ask that, because Bo's pure athleticism was special before the injury.
At a minimum, a single-sport player would need to be a multi-tool player. The joke in KC was that Michail Jackson and Bo Jackson both wore a glove on one hand for no apparent reason.

Considedr Paul Hornung, who led a champiomship NFL team many years in both passing and rushing, waas the place-kicker and quarterback, during an era when college stars played offense and defense.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2022, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Sioux Falls, SD area
4,343 posts, read 6,089,880 times
Reputation: 8713
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
At a minimum, a single-sport player would need to be a multi-tool player. The joke in KC was that Michail Jackson and Bo Jackson both wore a glove on one hand for no apparent reason.

Considedr Paul Hornung, who led a championship NFL team many years in both passing and rushing, was the place-kicker and quarterback, during an era when college stars played offense and defense.
Paul Hornung never led the Packers in passing as Bart Starr was the quarterback and Jim Taylor consistently led them in rushing back then. Not Hornung.

I understand what you're trying to say as to comparing Bo with him as to being versatile. In the days of Hornung, versatility was more common. Especially with the playing of multiple positions for the same game. There were some athletes playing 2 professional sports back then. I remember back in the 60's, Gene Conley played baseball for the Red Sox and also played NBA basketball for the Celtics. Wilt Chamberlain not only was a basketball superstar, but became a dominant volleyball player immediately after his retirement. Ernie Ladd was a professional wrestler as well as a professional football player at the same time.

During Bo's era, versatility of positions in ONE sport (such as Shohei Ohtani) was already pretty much unheard of, let alone playing 2 professional sports at such a high level. I don't think we'll ever see someone today doing what Bo did. I think there may be a few with the talent, but their respective clubs just won't allow it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2022, 11:58 PM
 
4,641 posts, read 2,161,385 times
Reputation: 7005
There is also the "natural gift" of game presence, which does not show up in the stats. People like Derek Jeter, Troy Polamalu, Manu Ginobili. Each of them was like having an extra man.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2022, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Elysium
10,702 posts, read 6,459,701 times
Reputation: 7912
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Paul Hornung never led the Packers in passing as Bart Starr was the quarterback and Jim Taylor consistently led them in rushing back then. Not Hornung.

I understand what you're trying to say as to comparing Bo with him as to being versatile. In the days of Hornung, versatility was more common. Especially with the playing of multiple positions for the same game. There were some athletes playing 2 professional sports back then. I remember back in the 60's, Gene Conley played baseball for the Red Sox and also played NBA basketball for the Celtics. Wilt Chamberlain not only was a basketball superstar, but became a dominant volleyball player immediately after his retirement. Ernie Ladd was a professional wrestler as well as a professional football player at the same time.

During Bo's era, versatility of positions in ONE sport (such as Shohei Ohtani) was already pretty much unheard of, let alone playing 2 professional sports at such a high level. I don't think we'll ever see someone today doing what Bo did. I think there may be a few with the talent, but their respective clubs just won't allow it.

On one hand we have the problem of which team would take priority that was gone through with Deion Sanders in Atlanta. But then many teams allow players to take off for national teams in international competition. The other is the fear of Bo Jackson's injury and that the other sport might pose a greater risk of injury.

It is one thing to lose an asset as he was flying relief supplies to earthquake victims but to lose an all-star level player because he was playing another game is hard to swallow at the kind of money being spent. In Bo Jackson's case Nike would make good on what the Raiders and the Royals cut to minimize their potential losses. But Jackson and Sanders were better than, or drew in fans, others so taking them part time was the better option than that specialist that came next on the depth chart.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2022, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Cumberland
6,311 posts, read 10,137,008 times
Reputation: 5151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Paul Hornung never led the Packers in passing as Bart Starr was the quarterback and Jim Taylor consistently led them in rushing back then. Not Hornung.

I understand what you're trying to say as to comparing Bo with him as to being versatile. In the days of Hornung, versatility was more common. Especially with the playing of multiple positions for the same game. There were some athletes playing 2 professional sports back then. I remember back in the 60's, Gene Conley played baseball for the Red Sox and also played NBA basketball for the Celtics. Wilt Chamberlain not only was a basketball superstar, but became a dominant volleyball player immediately after his retirement. Ernie Ladd was a professional wrestler as well as a professional football player at the same time.

During Bo's era, versatility of positions in ONE sport (such as Shohei Ohtani) was already pretty much unheard of, let alone playing 2 professional sports at such a high level. I don't think we'll ever see someone today doing what Bo did. I think there may be a few with the talent, but their respective clubs just won't allow it.
I'll add Syracuse and later Cleveland Brown legend Jim Brown to this list. He is still called by some as the greatest lacrosse player of all time because of his college days.

Wilt was an insane athlete. Look it up on Youtube there are a few good videos. He was a giant who could run as fast as sprinters and lift as much as professional weight lifters. After hearing some smack that he couldn't pass, he lead the NBA in assists. The guy could do it all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2022, 11:56 AM
 
11,648 posts, read 15,613,928 times
Reputation: 14605
The thing is ... there's many athletes in many sports who are really good at their peak.

The best Athletes are revered for longevity.

But especially RBs in the NFL. Very short peak for most.

As for his baseball ability, he was OK.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2022, 12:00 PM
 
11,648 posts, read 15,613,928 times
Reputation: 14605
I also know that it's difficult if not impossible because the seasons overlap poorly but I'd really like to see someone play in the NBA and NFL.

That's a more natural combination.

Baseball is less of a game where raw athletic ability can be harnessed.

I also think baseball is a 2nd sport because the wear and tear and demands are less.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top