U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2022, 01:06 PM

197 posts, read 143,476 times

Advertisements

I didn't grow up watching Bo Jackson play in his prime. For those who did, how good was he? I know I could just watch a video of his highlights, but it's not the same as actually watching him perform live on TV or in person.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2022, 01:27 PM

14,572 posts, read 11,863,831 times
For the time and for what he did so far as being a 2 sport athlete? He was amazing. And a solid, good person, too.

I'd say he's probably been passed by some more recent athletes in overall ability.. But.. From a pure athletic standpoint, he, at the time, was perhaps the best overall athlete we had seen.

Wasn't the best at hitting the curveball.. But when he got ahold of one, it went. Climbing the walls to make a catch. Bowling over The Boz.

Perhaps his GREATEST ability, however, was his marketing ability. He was better at marketing himself than Michael Jordan.

Be Like Mike had nothing on Bo Knows.

FWIW.. Bo ONLY really played in his prime. Yes he did play baseball for 2 years after the injury, but.. None of us really remember that. Was he ever going to be a HoF baseball player? Highly doubtful. HoF in Football? Well.. If he had focused on it.. It was possible.

Bo always rose to the big game. That was one thing. Put him on MNF or a national baseball game? He usually played far better.

one more point.. So far as I know there's NEVER been even a sniff of PED talk around Bo. He was playing before that all blew up, but..

Old 09-02-2022, 05:23 PM

17,541 posts, read 23,946,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Bo always rose to the big game. That was one thing. Put him on MNF or a national baseball game? He usually played far better.
And nobody knows that more than Brian Bosworth. I'll never forget that 1987 Monday night game against the Seahawks in the Kingdome (week 12).The Boz got steamrolled by Bo. Here are a few quotes I remember from ESPN's Sports Century one hour bio on Bo---

Al Michaels-- "And he is running down the sidelines and NOBODY catches Bo--touchdown."
Dan Dierdorf--"He's not going to stop until he reaches Tacoma."

In the fourth quarter--->>>Bo Jackson carrying Bosworth to the end zone on a seven yard run---

Brian Bosworth--"He just flat ran my ass over."
Bo Jackson (telling Boz)-"Next time have bus fare."

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-02-2022 at 05:39 PM..

Old 09-03-2022, 07:35 PM

3,350 posts, read 3,723,795 times
I respectfully will say that Bo got the formula wrong, Deion on the other hand got it right.
Deion's better sport was football, he has admitted as much several times in the media. So he focused on football as his main job and played baseball as a side gig. That allowed him to maximize his potential in his stronger sport, resulting in the hall of fame in one sport.
Bo's better sport was also football, but he chose to be a full time base ball player while playing his stronger sport as a part timer. He ended up not making the hall in either sport. Now granted injury played a role in this, but I think had he been a full time running back getting 30 carries a game he would have been easily a 10 thousand yard running back which would probably have gotten him into the HOF.
Even taking away the injury, I think it's doubtful that he would have made the baseball HOF. He only made one all star appearance in baseball in the 10 seasons he played. I dont think he would have all of a sudden made the leap after age 30.

Old 09-04-2022, 05:34 PM

3,041 posts, read 332,896 times
if he had gone to Bama like Bear wanted he might have amounted to something ..

Old 09-05-2022, 07:55 AM

4,282 posts, read 5,957,744 times
Prior to the injury, he had the talent to have been the best running back in NFL history. This is not an exaggeration.

In baseball he was developing into an above average player with incredible power. Hard saying where he would have ended up in this sport.

Old 09-05-2022, 04:49 PM

6,258 posts, read 9,968,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Prior to the injury, he had the talent to have been the best running back in NFL history. This is not an exaggeration.

In baseball he was developing into an above average player with incredible power. Hard saying where he would have ended up in this sport.
Sadly, my IRL memories of Bo are limited to the MLB All-Star game, and literally the run he hurt himself on in the playoffs. I remember him exploding up the sidelines, getting tripped up and coming out of the game....then never came back in. At the time, nobody thought it much of it.

The real memories were wiped by playing too much Techmo Bowl as a kid. In that game, he was awesome.

Old 09-05-2022, 11:09 PM

4,996 posts, read 3,219,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post

Yes, totally true. I also think in his prime, Bo's is one of the best athletes, period. His athletic ability would match up with anyone in any era.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:40 AM

5,996 posts, read 10,022,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
For the time and for what he did so far as being a 2 sport athlete? He was amazing. And a solid, good person, too.

I'd say he's probably been passed by some more recent athletes in overall ability.. But.. From a pure athletic standpoint, he, at the time, was perhaps the best overall athlete we had seen.

Wasn't the best at hitting the curveball.. But when he got ahold of one, it went. Climbing the walls to make a catch. Bowling over The Boz.

Perhaps his GREATEST ability, however, was his marketing ability. He was better at marketing himself than Michael Jordan.

Be Like Mike had nothing on Bo Knows.

FWIW.. Bo ONLY really played in his prime. Yes he did play baseball for 2 years after the injury, but.. None of us really remember that. Was he ever going to be a HoF baseball player? Highly doubtful. HoF in Football? Well.. If he had focused on it.. It was possible.

one more point.. So far as I know there's NEVER been even a sniff of PED talk around Bo. He was playing before that all blew up, but..
Uh.... seriously?

Old 09-06-2022, 09:26 AM

14,572 posts, read 11,863,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I respectfully will say that Bo got the formula wrong, Deion on the other hand got it right.
Deion's better sport was football, he has admitted as much several times in the media. So he focused on football as his main job and played baseball as a side gig. That allowed him to maximize his potential in his stronger sport, resulting in the hall of fame in one sport.
Bo's better sport was also football, but he chose to be a full time base ball player while playing his stronger sport as a part timer. He ended up not making the hall in either sport. Now granted injury played a role in this, but I think had he been a full time running back getting 30 carries a game he would have been easily a 10 thousand yard running back which would probably have gotten him into the HOF.
Even taking away the injury, I think it's doubtful that he would have made the baseball HOF. He only made one all star appearance in baseball in the 10 seasons he played. I dont think he would have all of a sudden made the leap after age 30.

Here's the thing.. While I agree it was a long shot for him to make the HoF in baseball.. he likely, had he focused on baseball, has a 10-15 year career and makes very good money.

His injury was.. Really more a birth defect kinda situation. If he hadn't been an athlete, he probably makes it to 70 years old before needing a hip replacement. Just playing baseball.. Again, probably shaves a few years off that, but he makes it through his career.

Football.. While partially it was a 'freak' injury, it also was far more apt to happen playing football. So..

Different ways of looking at the same thing. Just how much hindsight you apply. looking back on it now, would have been better if he focused on baseball. But.. He wouldn't be "Bo" if he had done that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports