U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 12:04 AM

15,665 posts, read 12,545,498 times

Advertisements

Can teams just fly on hypersonic jets? The NFL is surely wealthy enough to own a hypersonic jet fleet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2022, 12:38 AM

15,665 posts, read 12,545,498 times
The Murka Military has been wasting money flying back and forth from two ME countries almost on a daily basis for like 20 odd years. There are airline flights that directly to all the major cities in Murka to Europe and vice versa, or at least pretty close to it. Okay maybe not every city, but it still a lot.

Flying a few people across the Arctic Ocean/Canada should cost nothing compared thousands of people sitting in the stands, and even more watch the TV broadcasts.

If they expand the teams, then they have to expand the seasons to accommodate. They will have more by-weeks too.

Professional Rugby Leagues (Union and League) play more games than the NFL. The best players rep their national teams, and have to travel all over the globe. The United Rugby Championship has 4 teams from South Africa that have to play in Ireland, Scotland, Welsh, and Italy.

Soccer players do this too. They play basically all year round. They play club side, and national side, and travel all over globe. And they play more games too.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:23 AM

15,281 posts, read 12,555,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The Murka Military has been wasting money flying back and forth from two ME countries almost on a daily basis for like 20 odd years. There are airline flights that directly to all the major cities in Murka to Europe and vice versa, or at least pretty close to it. Okay maybe not every city, but it still a lot.

Flying a few people across the Arctic Ocean/Canada should cost nothing compared thousands of people sitting in the stands, and even more watch the TV broadcasts.

If they expand the teams, then they have to expand the seasons to accommodate. They will have more by-weeks too.

Professional Rugby Leagues (Union and League) play more games than the NFL. The best players rep their national teams, and have to travel all over the globe. The United Rugby Championship has 4 teams from South Africa that have to play in Ireland, Scotland, Welsh, and Italy.

Soccer players do this too. They play basically all year round. They play club side, and national side, and travel all over globe. And they play more games too.
Soccer players aren’t traveling all over the globe on a regular basis. Their leagues are typically confined to small regions/countries, with the major exceptions being North American leagues. The national games are very few and far in between.

Old 11-29-2022, 01:36 AM

3,253 posts, read 2,725,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Expansion in my opinion has to be limited to Toronto/Vancouver/maybe Montreal. But how that would work when Canada has its own football league is hard to say. Thumbs down on Mexico for many of the same reasons that Europe wouldnt work. Completely foreign culture to Americans, although travel wise should work.
Exactly. Remember, the only other country in the world with a gridiron football tradition is Canada. There, it is played at high schools and colleges/universities too, and Canadian players at Canadian high schools have been scouted by US colleges, and NFL pro teams scout Canadian universities too. While MLS and World Cup soccer attract some attention, generally, soccer does not attract the attention that pro hockey, pro football, and pro baseball do in Canada. Especially pro hockey.

Point is, that trying to sell American gridiron football to countries that have a futball/soccer tradition, as in Europe, is likely to end in failure. Europeans don't "get" the game the way North Americans do. They don't have a gridiron football tradition the way that only one other country outside the USA--that is, Canada--does.

Old 11-29-2022, 11:43 AM

238 posts, read 63,697 times
Quote:
Can teams just fly on hypersonic jets? The NFL is surely wealthy enough to own a hypersonic jet fleet.
Flight Times

7:01 New York to London
https://www.google.com/flights?sxsrf...yQQlhd6BAgYEAI

6:17 New York to Los Angeles
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...EB&hl=en&gl=us

The players in London will be chilling in the hotel lounge while the L.A. bound players are still stuck on the freeway.

Old 11-29-2022, 12:16 PM

3,412 posts, read 3,835,571 times
A relatively minor issue would be the practice squad players. They are often signed and cut sometimes in the space of just a few days depending on the needs of the team. I've read reports of just how tough that life is for players traveling around the US, I can't imagine how that would work if you now factor in international travel as well. But as any football fan knows, you need those players for all the injuries and other issue that prevent players from playing.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:48 AM

1,738 posts, read 1,539,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
The NFL has really committed towards playing annual games in London and they just held a game in Germany and it was a roaring success. I believe their aim is to further educate Europeans on the game of American Football with an end goal of locating NFL teams in Europe. They want this to be a WORLD GAME.

In the near future, I could see them add EIGHT new teams with six of the eight being International teams, for a total of 40 teams.

Football is only played once a week so the logistics are not as overwhelming as many think.

I could see the new NFL looking like this:

AFC

AFC EAST
Buffalo Bills
Miami Dolphins
New England Patriots
New York Jets

AFC NORTH
Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC South
Houston Texans
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars
Tennessee Titans

AFC WEST
Denver Broncos
Kansas City Chiefs
Las Vegas Raiders
Los Angeles Chargers

AFC Europe
London Team
Germany Team
Paris Team
Spain Team

NFC

NFC EAST
Dallas Cowboys
Philadelphia Eagles
New York Giants
Washington Commanders

NFC NORTH
Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Green Bay Packers
Minnesota Vikings

NFC SOUTH
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC WEST
Arizona Cardinals
Los Angeles Rams
Seattle Seahawks
San Francisco 49ers

NFC North America
Toronto Team
Mexico City Team
New US Team #1 (San Antonio, St. Louis, Portland, Salt Lake City, Austin, Louisville, etc.)
New US Team #2 (San Antonio, St. Louis, Portland, Salt Lake City, Austin, Louisville, etc.)
Unless the NFL wants to plummet the talent pool, they will not expand by 8 teams. Should american football ever truly become an option for youth development in africa, europe and south of the united states in central and south america, maybe this could happen, but it is a decade or two away. Then only with significant financial investment.

As for your other "beliefs," the NFL has not hid that it wants to place two team in europe. Its not something to believe or not, its a fact. Tottenham Stadium was built to play NFL games in. Logistics are not the problem. Its breaking traditional matchups to refit the league. I think the NFL will add a team in London and another in Mexico City in the next 8 years. Both the same year. The NFC East needs to lose the cowboys, which makes no sense anymore. But Jones will never let it happen in his lifetime. Assuming it could, that is where they belong. I would arrange a 4 week stretch playing all the divisional games at the visitors so there is no travel between games. The rest of the season, it could be worked out. Mexico City is easier as its about 3.5 hour flight time. Not much more than the 3 hours for Miami to NE or LA to Seattle.

Old 12-05-2022, 12:22 PM

28,038 posts, read 8,869,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
A relatively minor issue would be the practice squad players. They are often signed and cut sometimes in the space of just a few days depending on the needs of the team. I've read reports of just how tough that life is for players traveling around the US, I can't imagine how that would work if you now factor in international travel as well. But as any football fan knows, you need those players for all the injuries and other issue that prevent players from playing.

The 49ers signed Josh Johnson off of Denver's practice squad to back up Brock Purdy.

Old 12-05-2022, 12:28 PM

2,914 posts, read 1,861,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The 49ers signed Josh Johnson off of Denver's practice squad to back up Brock Purdy.
Has Johnson now been a part all 32 teams(?)

Old 12-05-2022, 07:06 PM

6,311 posts, read 10,137,008 times
Quote:
The trade-off will be the awesome lifestyle and great food in Europe. I cant imagine someone from the Murka Ghettos not jumping at that chance. I am not from a ghetto, and Id jump.

Being paid all that money, and then having to move ASAP to a great city like Madrid; oh my the horror
The "Murka Ghettos" eh?

Tapas bars for 340 pound NFL linemen would be a real hoot. I'd love to see a young 20-something American's reaction to being served a tiny plate of food and a 8oz. lukewarm bottle of Coke after an NFL intensity practice.

Some players might like it, but if you follow sports you already know that states with lower income-tax rates already have a big advantage in free agency. Compare Florida tax rates to Madrid......which team would most agents tell their client to sign with for better long term wealth growth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports