Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 11:47 AM

954 posts, read 1,031,489 times

Advertisements

The NFL has really committed towards playing annual games in London and they just held a game in Germany and it was a roaring success. I believe their aim is to further educate Europeans on the game of American Football with an end goal of locating NFL teams in Europe. They want this to be a WORLD GAME.

In the near future, I could see them add EIGHT new teams with six of the eight being International teams, for a total of 40 teams.

Football is only played once a week so the logistics are not as overwhelming as many think.

I could see the new NFL looking like this:

AFC

AFC EAST
Buffalo Bills
Miami Dolphins
New England Patriots
New York Jets

AFC NORTH
Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC South
Houston Texans
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars
Tennessee Titans

AFC WEST
Denver Broncos
Kansas City Chiefs
Las Vegas Raiders
Los Angeles Chargers

AFC Europe
London Team
Germany Team
Paris Team
Spain Team

NFC

NFC EAST
Dallas Cowboys
Philadelphia Eagles
New York Giants
Washington Commanders

NFC NORTH
Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Green Bay Packers
Minnesota Vikings

NFC SOUTH
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC WEST
Arizona Cardinals
Los Angeles Rams
Seattle Seahawks
San Francisco 49ers

NFC North America
Toronto Team
Mexico City Team
New US Team #1 (San Antonio, St. Louis, Portland, Salt Lake City, Austin, Louisville, etc.)
New US Team #2 (San Antonio, St. Louis, Portland, Salt Lake City, Austin, Louisville, etc.)

Last edited by H'ton; 11-15-2022 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 04:54 PM

6,903 posts, read 11,158,704 times
The question I have is "How do you convince the players to live in Europe?" Most likely they would paying Euro tax rates on their salaries, which could make similar raw $$ amounts very unequal in terms of "take home income." They would have to move their families to Europe, or be away from them for months at a time. Imagine being traded from Denver to Madrid mid-season and having to move there ASAP.

I'm not saying it will never happen, but I do think having European and American teams in the same league would be really tough, no matter what the sport.

Old 11-21-2022, 04:07 AM

628 posts, read 316,149 times
I like the idea of European teams popping up but I don't know how the logistics of them and other teams travelling would work. I'm not saying that to mean that they couldn't make it work; I'm thinking about it now and it seems like it would be a little bit difficult. I understand that there are already games played in England but isn't that usually one a season? And now you've got teams flying over there multiple times a season and their teams flying over here. Would you have your bye week after an overseas game?
The NFC North America seems like a no-brainer though with Toronto and Mexico City. An English team would be nice but expanding further into Canada and Central America would probably be the easiest changes to implement. Maybe expand the NFC and AFC with other NA teams first and then add Europe after a couple years if it goes well?

Old 11-21-2022, 09:47 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,156,677 times
The article I read is where the NFL commissioner talked about a full division (4 teams) in Europe. Possibly 2 in London (they believe London can support two teams like the NYC area does) and 2 in Germany (Berlin, Hamburg, or Munich).

So each team would have 8 or 9 home games, then 3 games on the road in Europe.

So that would be 5 or 6 games across the pond for a single year (excluding playoffs) and that’s it.

If you broke those 5 or 6 trips into a 2 week road trip (example would be to play LA and SF back to back weeks and stay in California and practice during the week before game 2), that would mean at most 3 trips across the pond per year (excluding playoffs).

As far as American based teams going to play in Europe, each team would never make more than 1 trip across the pond (excluding playoffs) per year.

Anyway, this would easily work as far as logistics.

Many believe it will happen by 2030.

Old 11-21-2022, 10:16 PM

16,829 posts, read 14,969,207 times
Eh... I don't see this being successful at all. Does Europe as a whole even like the sport? They are already saturated with soccer and rugby. I could see MAYBE London working, but Paris? Spain? Germany? I have my doubts. A single random game will draw attention, but a full season?

Expand to Canada and maybe Mexico first, and even then, the only hot markets for that would be Toronto and Mexico City. If Montreal couldn't handle a baseball team, and Vancouver couldn't keep an NBA team, NFL isn't going to fare much better. MLS is popular in those cities in part thanks to heavy immigrant populations.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 11-21-2022 at 10:30 PM..

Old 11-23-2022, 12:34 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,156,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Eh... I don't see this being successful at all. Does Europe as a whole even like the sport? They are already saturated with soccer and rugby. I could see MAYBE London working, but Paris? Spain? Germany? I have my doubts. A single random game will draw attention, but a full season?

Expand to Canada and maybe Mexico first, and even then, the only hot markets for that would be Toronto and Mexico City. If Montreal couldn't handle a baseball team, and Vancouver couldn't keep an NBA team, NFL isn't going to fare much better. MLS is popular in those cities in part thanks to heavy immigrant populations.
France and Spain? Likely no. Spain somewhat likes the sport, but I don’t believe it’s all that popular in France.

But England, and especially Germany, have seriously embraced the NFL and would absolutely support teams there. No question in my mind, and obviously the NFL believes it would work, because otherwise why would the commissioner go on record with their proposed plan?

I’ve read a lot of articles where Germans really, really like American football. If they were to ever produce a German speaking QB1 as the head of a franchise, they’d get even more fanatical about it.

Anyway, we aren’t talking about a baseball season with 80+ homedates. We are talking about 8 or 9 home games per year, that’s it.

There will be tens of thousands who get season tickets. Just like in the US. Just doesn’t seem much of a stretch to sell out 8 or 9 home games.

Old 11-25-2022, 10:00 AM

1,948 posts, read 907,772 times
There are already 32 teams. Why would the league add more? It is already difficult enough with a 17-game schedule. I don't see the league expanding overseas, but they should continue to play International games.

Are there professional american soccer teams in the EPL and other European soccer leagues? No.

Old 11-26-2022, 06:05 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,381,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluad View Post
Sorry, but having random NFL games once or twice a year in Europe with good attendances doesn't mean that a permanent team will have the same success.

There was NFL Europe once and it went out of business after a few years, I would suspect that a team based in Europe would after a couple of years be relocated to the US.

The same applies to Mexico City, besides the tickets would probably be too costly for fans to attend all games, as it is a poor country.

Toronto is what would make the more sense, but the Bills wouldn't like the idea, given that part of their base are Torontonians.
Agreed. NFL Europe ended up flopping.
Expecting the players who are overwhelmingly American (as opposed to say the NHL, NBA or MLB) to be willing to move themselves and their families to a foreign country is going to be a tough ask. I still remember NBA first rounders who refused to go play for NBA teams in Canada (Steve Francis). Toronto is now considered to be an acceptable destination, but it's taken a LONG time to get there and Canada is about as close to the US as you can get both physically and culturally. I just dont see that happening for say Denmark or Poland or even England/France.

And I call BS on the NFL being that popular in Europe. It's football with the round ball every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I would say basketball is far more popular in Europe than the NFL. You have to remember that there are a LOT of American expats, soldiers and students in Europe. So I would guess that a big chunk of any game attendance would be these.

I suspect that pretty much every NFL player could walk around the streets of London, Paris and Rome and not be bothered. The only guy who may get recognized is Brady, but even that's more for who he was married to rather than his football achievements.

Expansion in my opinion has to be limited to Toronto/Vancouver/maybe Montreal. But how that would work when Canada has its own football league is hard to say. Thumbs down on Mexico for many of the same reasons that Europe wouldnt work. Completely foreign culture to Americans, although travel wise should work.

Old 11-26-2022, 11:25 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,480,417 times
North & south expansion makes sense. Going overseas increases exponentially the number of factors that make it a risky move.

Europe has a thriving culture of American football at the club level. They have continent wide tournaments. Talented college players that don't get drafted often take roster spots on those teams. Many federations allow up to 3 foreign born players per team. As expected, the excel given the local talent is at a D3 level at best.

John Grisham wrote a book and based it on an actual Italian club football team, The Parma Panthers, Playing For Pizza. It's a good story and a great read.

Old 11-27-2022, 12:03 AM

17,877 posts, read 15,719,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
The question I have is "How do you convince the players to live in Europe?" Most likely they would paying Euro tax rates on their salaries, which could make similar raw $$ amounts very unequal in terms of "take home income." They would have to move their families to Europe, or be away from them for months at a time. Imagine being traded from Denver to Madrid mid-season and having to move there ASAP.

I'm not saying it will never happen, but I do think having European and American teams in the same league would be really tough, no matter what the sport.
The trade-off will be the awesome lifestyle and great food in Europe. I cant imagine someone from the Murka Ghettos not jumping at that chance. I am not from a ghetto, and Id jump.

Being paid all that money, and then having to move ASAP to a great city like Madrid; oh my the horror
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports