Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 04:11 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times

Advertisements

First I cheer on Indiana University, my alma mater. I'm old enough that I was a student (grad and undergrad) the last two times they won it all. Secondarily I'll cheer for other Big 10 teams and Loyola and DePaul since I grew up near Chicago. DePaul in the 70's and 80's did well and was often on TV. Next tier is rooting for the underdog and whoever is going to play against Kentucky and Duke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 05:25 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,012,901 times
Hated the culture at my school (Miami of Ohio). I don't care about sports but I usually root against them if I see a game they're participating in.

Old 03-14-2023, 05:48 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,394,747 times
If my team (OU) is playing, I will root for them. As I have since 6th grade.
But I watch many games when OU is not playing so I have 'adopted' some other teams to pull for.

But there are many more teams I pull against even if they aren't playing OU.

Old 03-14-2023, 09:26 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,250,294 times
I was born at Duke hospital. I grew up going to athletic events at NC State, some Duke football (and yes I saw some ugly contests lol) and I've been to a couple of events at Wake Forest. All family oriented to some extent. I have a lot of extended family that went to UNC but I've got no baby blue in my blood

I have family in Ann Arbor and honestly I just don't like U of M athletics. Don't get me wrong I enjoy visiting them and AA is a cool town, but I can't stand the attitudes and the smugness of a lot of the alumni living there. Plus, I've always liked Michigan State and Izzo, and honestly I've never hated Ohio State.

So yeah, I'm all over the place.

Old 03-14-2023, 09:48 PM

639 posts, read 380,287 times
No.

I root against my college's rivals as well. Which sometimes I get iffy on as I want to see my conference do well.

Old 03-15-2023, 12:02 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Nothing is better than watching an unsung #12 - #15 seed taking down one of the elite teams on a three-point buzzer beater as time runs out. Watching St Peters and Loyola-Chicago in recent years make the Final Four or Elite Eight was electrifying, and hope to see a repeat this year to confound all of the on-air experts.

Old 03-15-2023, 06:17 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan0 View Post
With March Madness coming up, I thought this would be a fun discussion. I know Duke, Notre Dame, and other places have nationwide fanbases, but do you root solely for your alma mater? If not, what connections do you have to your favorite college teams? I know its a huge topic to talk about "Wal Mart fans" vs others... Personally I only root for where I went but Im curious to others.
I went to a school with a pretty strong athletic program...........but I could care less. I own a couple of collared shirts with the logo on them. Never owned a jersey of any type. I've been to a couple of football games and a single baseball game.

I find some of the most diehard fans of a school........never even set foot on campus!

Old 03-15-2023, 07:17 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,394,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I went to a school with a pretty strong athletic program...........but I could care less. I own a couple of collared shirts with the logo on them. Never owned a jersey of any type. I've been to a couple of football games and a single baseball game.

I find some of the most diehard fans of a school........never even set foot on campus!
A lot of them never set foot on ANY campus.

But, you know -- it's OK to be a fan of school you didn't attend. I know lots of fans of pro teams who never played in the pros.

Old 03-15-2023, 08:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Goodness no, I would never root for or follow any sport at the college I went to for my BA. It's in the CCAA and relatively unknown, would never be on TV, and never has a very good team. They are currently in 7th place (out of 12) in basketball, and football was dropped in 1993 because of budget restrictions caused by decreasing attendance and Title IX, which mandated gender equality in collegiate athletics. My graduate school is better status, winning the 2022 football season in the Big Sky Conference, but in basketball were 6th (of 10). I never went to a game there since I was also working full time and commuted 90 minutes. My wife and I are fans of our current local team, the University of Washington. We didn't go there but our daughter and her husband did, along with the kids of many other people that we know. They have had some great years and some not so much, but almost always have a decent season in all of their sports.

Last edited by Hemlock140; 03-15-2023 at 09:09 AM..

Old 03-15-2023, 08:57 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,934,817 times
I'm a Penn State Alum so I bleed Blue and White and of course root hard for them to do well no matter the sport.

After that... I only root for other teams strictly from a gambling standpoint. I'm a fan of any of them as long as they're winning me some money, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports