Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 12:11 PM

33,329 posts, read 12,642,034 times

Advertisements

I root for my alma maters and my parents alma maters before any other schools.

Next come the alma maters of other family members (Stanford, Notre Dame, Claremont, Georgetown, UT Austin, and a number of others).

Then the remaining schools where my fraternity has or had a chapter and I have visited the campus either while an undergrad or as a tourist (University of Oregon, University of Washington, and UNC Chapel Hill come to mind).

Then schools where my fraternity has a chapter but I haven't visited the campus.

Then (specific to basketball) 1. Schools where my dad would go on and on about the basketball coach when I was growing up. The first two that come to mind are Louisville (Denny Crum) and Marquette (Al McGuire), and 2. Other Catholic schools with good basketball teams but no family members went to school there (for example, Gonzaga).

There are two exceptions (which I would put only behind my alma maters and my parents alma maters)......Texas A&M (College Station) because one of my fraternity brothers (pledge class behind me) became a professor there.....and the University of Houston (it's local....I live in the Houston metro).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 06:58 AM

77 posts, read 25,498 times
I’ll root for other schools in basketball, if I deem them worthy. For example, I did not go to Villanova or Virginia (albeit I had some loosely defined connections to Virginia). But I always liked Jay Wright (now former) and Tony Bennett. Thought they were all class, liked how their players always conducted themselves, and didn’t recruit a bunch of “one and dones”. I live in New England too. Though I have lived in many other regions, New England is my roots. This is the worst place to be in the country if you expect college sports fandom. Half of Connecticut is behind UCOnn maybe. But besides that, the traditional loyalties that used to seem to follow Providence basketball, and Boston College football seems to have disappeared.

Don’t let anyone convince you either that college hockey is huge, even in NH or Maine. It’s not. It’s a niche sport and most sports fans are just interested in Boston pro teams. Some hardcore followers I suppose, but think of it as the equivalent if you were a Mid-American school fan (Ball St, Toledo, Kent, etc…) and living in Indiana/Ohio. And I’m probably the lone person out here who watches college basketball and a little college football, who doesn’t give a flying hoot about professional sports teams.

Old 04-03-2023, 07:48 PM

18,089 posts, read 27,548,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan0 View Post
With March Madness coming up, I thought this would be a fun discussion. I know Duke, Notre Dame, and other places have nationwide fanbases, but do you root solely for your alma mater? If not, what connections do you have to your favorite college teams? I know its a huge topic to talk about "Wal Mart fans" vs others... Personally I only root for where I went but Im curious to others.

Heck no newbie.

My state and the city of my college sucks.

Old 04-04-2023, 02:03 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,224,913 times
I've always rooted for the school I attended, but with NIL deals and the portal, my loyalty toward a single school is starting to waver. For the record, I'm not saying those are wrong and shouldn't be allowed.

My main interest is basketball. Originally, you could follow most players for the four years of their eligibility. You got to know them. Things like Senior Day meant something.

Now, with players constantly coming and going, it seems as if there is almost a new team every year. You barely get to know them before they transfer to a new school.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:07 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,971,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I've always rooted for the school I attended, but with NIL deals and the portal, my loyalty toward a single school is starting to waver. For the record, I'm not saying those are wrong and shouldn't be allowed.

My main interest is basketball. Originally, you could follow most players for the four years of their eligibility. You got to know them. Things like Senior Day meant something.

Now, with players constantly coming and going, it seems as if there is almost a new team every year. You barely get to know them before they transfer to a new school.
Well put post. Unless you're a top team at a power 5 school, you can lose your whole starting 5 nearly every year.

I'm curious about one thing. Since today's college athletes seem to be more and more narcissistic pukes, does ANY of them care about something called----academics?

On the road that we're on now, if you look up the terminology for "student athletes" in coming years, it will have a reference to the application of the term as something from previous decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports