Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,692 times

Advertisements

With March Madness coming up, I thought this would be a fun discussion. I know Duke, Notre Dame, and other places have nationwide fanbases, but do you root solely for your alma mater? If not, what connections do you have to your favorite college teams? I know its a huge topic to talk about "Wal Mart fans" vs others... Personally I only root for where I went but Im curious to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 01:37 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,090,757 times
I think the answer to this topic is highly dependent on where you went to school.

If you didn't go to some big state school, D1 basketball powerhouse or even a D1 sports school altogether, then you'd obviously be more inclined to root for another college than the one you went to since they wouldn't ever participate in March Madness.

Me personally? I graduated from a D1 basketball school but our team was rarely any good (especially during my years there) so it was easy for me to root for others when tourney time came.

Furthermore, I grew up in a house with my Dad who was a diehard fan of his alma mater so I was indoctrinated to become a fan of that team from an early age. That team has since fallen from grace and hasn't won a NCAA tourney game in over 20 years even though they were the 4th winningest program in college hoops history for the better part of half a century.

As a result I now root for Big East teams to do well since my favorite team is in that conference.

When it comes to March Madness I root hard for any lower seeds and Cinderellas. Upsets are what make this tourney magical and the best two weeks of the year on the sports calendar IMO.

Old 03-14-2023, 01:43 PM

8,873 posts, read 6,882,561 times
I don't watch much college basketball, but I root for my state, Washington. That means just Gonzaga I guess.

Kinda strange for a state that's produced so much talent.

Old 03-14-2023, 01:46 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,112,100 times
I went to Oregon State University years ago. I joined the Air Force later and moved out of state. Since that time I've simply rooted for Oregon schools in general, not just Oregon State.

Old 03-14-2023, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
I think the answer to this topic is highly dependent on where you went to school.

If you didn't go to some big state school, D1 basketball powerhouse or even a D1 sports school altogether, then you'd obviously be more inclined to root for another college than the one you went to since they wouldn't ever participate in March Madness.

Me personally? I graduated from a D1 basketball school but our team was rarely any good (especially during my years there) so it was easy for me to root for others when tourney time came.

Furthermore, I grew up in a house with my Dad who was a diehard fan of his alma mater so I was indoctrinated to become a fan of that team from an early age. That team has since fallen from grace and hasn't won a NCAA tourney game in over 20 years even though they were the 4th winningest program in college hoops history for the better part of half a century.

As a result I now root for Big East teams to do well since my favorite team is in that conference.

When it comes to March Madness I root hard for any lower seeds and Cinderellas. Upsets are what make this tourney magical and the best two weeks of the year on the sports calendar IMO.
Honestly all this sounds like me, to a T. My school is a mid major d1 who hasn't made it since the 90s, but I root for them primarily more than my states flagship, who happen to be historically very good. I have some family ties there and I grew up watching them religiously but now they take second fiddle to my alma mater

Old 03-14-2023, 02:06 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,856,145 times
I think it's sorta weird if you wait until you are 18 to start following college sports. I don't mind people who became fans late in life based on where they went to school, but I definitely don't think it makes them better fans. I became a Heel fan as a kid due to my uncle who took me to my first football game at Kenan and my first basketball game at the Smith Center. I came from a family of NC State alumni, but the visceral experience (particularly of the basketball game, as my first game is arguably the greatest UNC comeback ever) tied me to Chapel Hill for life. I went to school out-of-state, but once I moved back I began going to Heel games again and really never looked back.

My dad was a big State fan and also an in-state fan. He grew up on Vic Bubas and Duke, went to NC State and saw David Thompson, took me to State games as a kid (though too late for it to stick). He never said a bad word about any of the in-state schools during the tournament, and rooted for the ACC schools otherwise. I was never so magnanimous. I had a State uncle that would call me within minutes of any State victory. He was the sweetest guy except where UNC came into the picture. I was 14 and petrified of the phone like I was in Scream. I just never had enough in me to root for anyone but UNC. It takes all my mental energy sometimes to be a fan (cough*cough* this season*cough).

Last edited by Heel82; 03-14-2023 at 02:15 PM..

Old 03-14-2023, 02:18 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,501,958 times
Yes.

And this year...just rooting for anybody but Duke or Kentucky.

Old 03-14-2023, 02:22 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Texas Longhorns
Underdogs
Anyone playing ou and atm

Old 03-14-2023, 02:43 PM

93,413 posts, read 124,084,833 times
No, because the program in the hometown is a top 10 program historically, but the schools I went(one is a Big Ten school in the tournament, then transferred to the other, a very good D3 this year) I do hope they are doing well in most cases.

Old 03-14-2023, 04:05 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,501,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I think it's sorta weird if you wait until you are 18 to start following college sports. I don't mind people who became fans late in life based on where they went to school, but I definitely don't think it makes them better fans. I became a Heel fan as a kid due to my uncle who took me to my first football game at Kenan and my first basketball game at the Smith Center. I came from a family of NC State alumni, but the visceral experience (particularly of the basketball game, as my first game is arguably the greatest UNC comeback ever) tied me to Chapel Hill for life. I went to school out-of-state, but once I moved back I began going to Heel games again and really never looked back.

My dad was a big State fan and also an in-state fan. He grew up on Vic Bubas and Duke, went to NC State and saw David Thompson, took me to State games as a kid (though too late for it to stick). He never said a bad word about any of the in-state schools during the tournament, and rooted for the ACC schools otherwise. I was never so magnanimous. I had a State uncle that would call me within minutes of any State victory. He was the sweetest guy except where UNC came into the picture. I was 14 and petrified of the phone like I was in Scream. I just never had enough in me to root for anyone but UNC. It takes all my mental energy sometimes to be a fan (cough*cough* this season*cough).
Those of us in the college basketball capital of the world....are the only ones who think like this though. lol

Incidentally growing up in the Triangle area I didn't really have a strong allegiance to any team and barely followed college basketball. My parents went to SUNY schools and I had planned on going to college out of state (Syracuse and Miami were my top contenders at one point)..but the tuition difference (which I could have had to cover myself)...nixed that pretty quickly.

But growing up SURROUNDED by mostly NC State fans in the 90s-2000s (the year I graduated from Apex High School, 2007, AHS sent more graduating seniors to NC State than any other high school).... who in my experience were just a whole different brand of delusional....I was an anti-NCSU fan before I was a true Carolina fan. The despising of dook came shortly thereafter...obviously. Backwards from most in my age group who grew up a UNC allegiance.

I think some people have strong allegiances based on family history at a particular school...but it often only REALLY gets into your blood as an undergrad student at said school. That's true in NC and I imagine B1G and SEC country as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports