Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2023, 09:48 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,409,476 times

Advertisements

Just as the title says: tell us about your local track.

I'm in Lethbridge, Alberta (track abbreviation "Lbg"), and our local track is a half-mile oval, but with chutes that allow pretty much any distance between 3f and 1 1/16m, with the notable exception of 1m, because that's right on the finish line, and when they designed and engineered the track, they never made provisions for mile races. There are occasional quarter-horse races as well.

Handicapping Lbg races is challenging. I used to live in Toronto, playing Greenwood ("Grd") thoroughbred and Woodbine ("WO") thoroughbred, and while Grd was challenging, being only a 7/8 mile track with narrow turns, Lbg is even more challenging. At Lbg, going seven furlongs means three turns; going 1 1/16 miles means going four. Of course, at WO, a 1+m is easy: only two turns on the dirt. Until WO goes to the turf, with the Taylor Turf having some funky turns. But I'm getting away from my question.

Lbg racing is recorded by Equibase, and we have an Equibase chart caller, and Equibase will typically have an online result chart about an hour after the race. The horses that run at Lbg will never run in the Kentucky Derby, but the racing is honest, the facility is great (I know the guy who is in charge of track maintenance), and it is just plain fun.

So, tell us about your local track.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 04-11-2023 at 09:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2023, 06:21 PM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
I live 15 minutes from Pimlico, home of the Preakness. It's a dump and it should be closed, unworthy for such a prodigious race. I only saw one race there in the last 10 years but went there on occasion especially during the 1990s. I remember that one race was a 5 horse cheap field (1st race of the day) and the view was so bad one could only see the horses coming down the stretch. I was done and I won't go back.

That said when I was younger I went to many Preakness's. I have a friend who I am still friends with who's step father was an agent for a then top Maryland jockey. We got in free. I was against the rail for possibly the best horse race I ever saw, the 1989 Preakness. I saw Sunday Silence beat Easy Goer in a thrilling stretch dual. That race can easily be found on YouTube. I cashed a nice win bet ticket and hit the exacta.

Back in those days racing was well attended. I had several friends (2 are still friends of mine and horse racing fans to this day) and we would go often. Also to meet up with the regulars. Fun times I must admit.

But even back then Pimlico always had less racing days than Laurel Park which is considered the main track in the state. One reason they can't move the Preakness to Laurel is because Pimlico is much bigger. Laurel is a way better track but I no longer go like I used to. It's a different era today because so many (like myself) now play on their computer. It's really convenient and so easy. I do not play much anymore mainly because I'm currently in a slump and I hate to lose. I have cashed some very nice tickets through the years and I am overdue. FWIW the Pick 4 is my favorite bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports