Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 06:58 AM

3,984 posts, read 2,361,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by king john IV View Post
there are lots of options:

1. a "travel team" coach which could be year-round.
2. a franchise coach. one example: https://www.amazingathletesfranchise.com/
3. or, out of the box idea, be a referee or umpire.
I know a person that has a travel team in girls softball. Not too impressed by her but she did play softball in college. Played Div. 3 but I perused her stats and she was awful. My take is that she is padding her resume. I don't know how she formed this team or any other particulars. Obviously, you can't make a living being a girls softball coach unless you are hired at the high school or college level. I believe the person I mentioned is angling to get a job coaching high school or jr. high school. Right now she's a PTA(Physical Therapy Assistant) IMO, she's following her passion for softball which is a good thing. If you are passionate about the sport you want to coach, I'd say go for it. Make connections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 07:46 AM

12,853 posts, read 9,071,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I know a person that has a travel team in girls softball. Not too impressed by her but she did play softball in college. Played Div. 3 but I perused her stats and she was awful. My take is that she is padding her resume. I don't know how she formed this team or any other particulars. Obviously, you can't make a living being a girls softball coach unless you are hired at the high school or college level. I believe the person I mentioned is angling to get a job coaching high school or jr. high school. Right now she's a PTA(Physical Therapy Assistant) IMO, she's following her passion for softball which is a good thing. If you are passionate about the sport you want to coach, I'd say go for it. Make connections.
You've just described the path very well. Have enough background to coach a youth travel team. It pays but not enough to be a full time job unless you coach a lot of teams and individuals. Which only comes after you demonstrate skill and ability. Then leverage that travel team into a school coaching job. If the OP were truly passionate about a particular sport, they'd already know what you just said.

Old 05-12-2023, 04:13 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Believe it or not, Swimming. When I was in high school I really got attracted to swimming and water polo (still am and follow them), but could barely swim myself and later found out I'm one of those who isn't easily buoyant. Nonetheless I became a team manager as a sophomore for both the boys and girls swim teams and by senior year was the de facto girls team coach because the regular coach was something of a misogynist who couldn't be bothered. We were an unranked team in FL at the beginning of the year but placed 4th in the state championships, much to the chagrin of the coach whose boys' team didn't place top 20. It's about hard work, knowing/teaching technique in a way the athletes buy into, providing support/listening and above all consistency.

Old 05-13-2023, 07:58 PM

365 posts, read 216,422 times
Does anyone know how things stand when it comes to becoming a dance teacher/instructor?? Just for example, some of the teachers that appeared on the show Dance Moms (lol) didn't practice dance at a high level themselves or even at all in the case of Abby Lee Miller.

Old 05-14-2023, 07:37 AM

2,057 posts, read 1,000,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronas View Post
Does anyone know how things stand when it comes to becoming a dance teacher/instructor?? Just for example, some of the teachers that appeared on the show Dance Moms (lol) didn't practice dance at a high level themselves or even at all in the case of Abby Lee Miller.
You need to know how to dance multiple styles, period.

Just go get some vocational training and forget these schemes.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:01 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Jeff VanGundy was very good Div 3 player and was a big name coach.

Yep any sport where there is a lot of skill\technique but it's very competitive and so you ALSO have to have extremely high-level physical skills and injuries can deplete that quickly.

Andy Reid, for example, one of the most successful pro coaches barely played in college.
There's video of him participating in a punt pass and kick when he was 12-13ish, and he was a big dude even then.

Old 05-21-2023, 05:29 PM

8,273 posts, read 8,664,411 times
Football Scoop has listings of job openings. Some D3 jobs are part time and pay hundreds a month. Some throw in a meal ticket like the students get. Not all coaching jobs even at the college level are high paid.

Old 06-05-2023, 11:14 AM

365 posts, read 216,422 times
Does anyone know how things stand in the case of tennis?

Old 06-05-2023, 11:36 AM

7,024 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronas View Post
Does anyone know how things stand in the case of tennis?
If you can't play tennis, you can't coach tennis. So much of the sport is technique: grip, footwork, swing path. strike point, etc.. You can't fake it.........just check out the tennis coaches on Youtube, those guys may not all be great players, but they can replicate themselves what they are trying to teach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports